1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Best Of: Other Fandoms

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Otters, Aug 6, 2014.

1. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I haven't had a chance to read the second one, Aekiel, but I'll check it out. I tried to go for stories that were pure Eva and complete. I considered Dr. Strangelove, because I loved it, but I felt that the humor might not appeal to everyone.

Of course, the fact alone that there's a scene where Rei quotes Blues Brothers should have forced me to mention the story. God, I think that was the first time I actually laughed because of a fan fic.

2. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

I've read most of the Eva and ZnT suggestions you guys pointed out including the DF/Eva, AC/ZnT and the prototype/ZnT ones.

Anyhow, Orchestrating was good. Not much in world building but the character development was superb. I guess it should be since they're the last 2 people on Earth after all.

The Last Child of Krypton was 50/50 for me. It's more of a guilty pleasure reading because Shinji just curbstomps everybody and I do sometimes want to read a fic like that.

Don't Look was a really good fic by Gabriel's Blessing. I hope he writes more like that and less of his info dumps. It's very sinister and dark. Plus, the creepy factor of Slenderman was really amped up. Great oneshot.

Wings of an Eagle is good but I like the Napoleon/ZnT crossover better.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7736264/1/Emperor-of-Zero
    When a former French Emperor is summoned by a pink-haired girl, the history of Helgekinia is forever changed.

Too bad most of these won't be finished esp. that DF/Eva fic. I really liked that one. Dresden was spot on and the changes he brought was a real possibility.

3. Jarsha

Jarsha Seventh Year

Probably a stupid question considering it's likely the only story from that fandom involving Napoleon, but is it the one where he finds the cache of books and burns "War and Peace"?

Because that is literally the only thing I remember caring about during my read through.

__

The other stories by the same author as "Lifespan of a Love Affair" are decent reads as well.

Though I'm going to have to agree with Aekiel's choices on the Eva fics. It's difficult to find anything in the Evangelion fandom that isn't Shinji fucking everyone A la "The Gift" or some amalgam of peggy-sue self-insert canon rehashes that are six or seven chapters long. Let alone anything of genuine quality that I would recommend to someone as something that must be read.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  4. frantic

frantic Boosted

Whoever was asking for Bleachfic, just go stalk cywscross like the rest of us. He writes all the best bleachfic, after Hammered Down.

5. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    QFT. My favourite Eva fic is actually https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1796942/1/Lycanthrope and I can't deny that it's shit. I like it. I enjoyed reading it, and have re-read it at least once. But objectively, it's still shit.

6. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I like most of Mr. Cynical's fics. It's a guilty pleasure, but the same holds true to what you said about Lycanthrope.

7. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

Too bad it looks like he's never finished a story

8. chriar

chriar Third Year

It really is a shame because some of them are really enjoyable.

9. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Enjoyable, sure. Quality work? Ehhhhhhh....

10. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Thanks. So, which copied which? Because there's
    a fic with Jiraiya that is exactly the same, down to details. This seems much better, though.

11. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

...never heard of any. Quick google search turns up a single result, started after this one. Skimming definitely IDs some stuff from this fic, but I'm pretty sure this one is original.

12. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

It seems like all his bleach fics just blend together. Once you've read one you've read them all. There must be 3 or 4 with Ichigo fucking around with time and being dark and broody.

13. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Any other authors from Bleach? I really the premise and the first arc, i hate the rest though. This author seems unable to write more than 3 chapters of anything, with not even a handful of exceptions. And their premises really look a like.

14. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

The only other Bleach author I've seen that's any good is Eilwynn. Her Guardian series is a retelling of canon from Ichigo's perspective up through the end of the SS invasion that's really well done. She finished it about a year ago and just recently decided to continue it with some original material. There's only one chapter of the original stuff, but it's looking promising.

15. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

Oh shit, hadn't even realized she started another fic. Love her Guardian series, but they're kind of YMMV. Some people seem to not like the Ichigo she portrays and the fact she followed canon so closely. Still awesome, imo.

16. FriedIce

FriedIce Seventh Year

If we're talking Bleach then The Shining Dark is one of the best.

Its basically Bleach crossed thematically with Mass Effect and Firefly.

17. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Second the Cain & Abel stories for the WH40k fandom.

18. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

I'd rec To the Stars, it's the only fic I've read of the fandom but I can't imagine there's many better than it. It's pretty long and is very slow, around the first 200k words is worldbuilding. I went into the story with no idea about the fandom and was fine even without doing any wiki work.

19. Fermit The Krog

Fermit The Krog Squib

Since nobody can really recommend a Hp fanfic as the best in the fandom, maybe we should compile a list of the 50 or so best Hp fanfics in no particular order?

Then again maybe I'm just desperate that there could be a few gems out there I've missed...

Before anyone says just look at the DLP library, I'm talking about the best of the best.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  20. digitalstorm

digitalstorm Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Marie-Antoinette by Tinn Tam. Everything else is pleb-tier work.