1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Best Of: Other Fandoms

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Otters, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

To be fair I don´t think that there is much connection between this story and canon^^. In fact I wouldn´t even call it fanfiction but instead more an inspired work of science fiction.
    But yeah it is certainly a really interesting work with lots of depth and a really interesting cast.

Yeah those are really great and often remind me of the books. She/he really managed to capture their tone and humor.

2. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

Sort by rating if u want the best in the library.

3. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Most of these fandoms I can't comment on as I only read fanfiction for 'worlds' I'm familiar with, however, when it comes to Wheel of Time, Ten Songs is absolutely spectacular.

Mass Effect:

Trancendent Humanity

By: Solaris242

Humanity never developed FTL. The Prothean archives contained no technology, no Element Zero, just a warning. Isolated from the rest of the galaxy for two thousand years, restricted to their only system, how will humanity have changed when they first meet the Turians? AU, alternate history of humanity and First Contact.

Rated: Fiction T - English - Sci-Fi - Chapters: 14 - Words: 28,770 - Reviews: 1,143 - Favs: 2,763 - Follows: 3,201 - Updated: Jun 9 - Published: May 7, 2013 - id: 9271192

This is a Mass Effect story that reads like many of the old school classics of the scifi genre. Definitely my personal favorite.

I'm a bit of a fan of crossovers so most of my votes won't fly here, but I really do have to say that choosing the 'best' HP story or 'best' Naruto story is an entirely useless endeavor. The fandom base is simply too large and there's so much variety that picking any specific one as the 'best' is just useless.

4. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

I've been following that since it was released. Does a nice job of not making the humans warmongering dicks.

5. draykfyre

draykfyre Second Year DLP Supporter

Final Fantasy XIII:
    Title: Evolution
    Author: Darkgirl5
    Pairing: None
    Rating: M

Story Summary: Lightning counts on herself and fights by herself. Now fate and a focus have tied her to this ragtag group of people. She seeks her own path to vengeance. Hope chooses to walk that road with her. Tale begins in the Vile Peaks. No pairing.Spoilers and AU.

Starts out slow and a bit game rehashy, but I love the idea of a slow change into Cie'th. It's not abandoned, but who knows when it'll next be updated.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  6. Spunika

Spunika First Year

7. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

No one wants to be reminded of that update date though :(

8. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Thanks draykfyre, had read that a year or so ago and forgotten what it was called.

9. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

Just found this one for Mass Effect. It's a bit old but completed and really good. Pretty upbeat, too. I liked the handling of the Reapers better than ME3, though that's not difficult to achieve.

The ThirtySix Stratagems of Wáng Jìngzé
    By: Mussimm
    "They want us gone now, before we get too powerful for them to kill. I say they've waited too long. I say we have that power now." The war has begun. ME3!Spec!fic. Shrios.
    Rated: Fiction M - English - Drama/Romance - Shepard (F), Thane K. - Chapters: 29 - Words: 92,588 - Reviews: 312 - Favs: 393 - Follows: 138 - Updated: Jun 14, 2011 - Published: Dec 26, 2010 - Status: Complete - id: 6591642

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  10. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nice link to the Epilogue, yo. Read the entire chapter before I realised it really was the last one, and not a 'start at the end' kind of story.

11. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

Sorry.:eek: I must have been half asleep when I did that. Edited my post. It's now Chapter 1.

12. Nemrut

High Score:
    So, time to bump this, all links are to threads we have in the forum for each of the stories:

RWBY:

There is really no contest here, it's Four Deadly Secrets by OneirosTheWriter all the way. Fascinating take on the RWBY world and characters and I just love everything about it.

PMMM:

I did have a few suggestions last time, and while they are all worth reading, at that point I had simply not read what is undoubtedly the best PMMM fanfic and that's Puella Magi Homura Magica by Lestaki. It's just so perfect. The characters, the setting, the atmosphere, the conflict between the characters. The only bad thing about it is that it hasn't been updated for quite some time.

Fire Emblem:

I'll be honest, I have not played the games, unless you count Super Smash Brothers, and I have not read any other story in the fandom. Really, it was just blind luck that I have checked this story out and if there is a better story in the fandom than Queen of Sorrow by Lord Syntax, then the Fire Emblem fandom is very blessed indeed.

Mass Effect:

Arguably, it is not the best story in the fandom. Interstitium is much better written, just in terms of prose. However, Of Sheep and Battle Chicken by LogicalPremise and its sequels is just much grander and larger than any other Mass Effect story I have read. It can be a rather meanspirited interpretation of the ME universe, where every faction has so many schemes and skeletons that it does curb your enjoyment a bit, but it doesn't take you out of the story. The greater military focus of the story is definitely a plus and more importantly, the stories still get updates. It is flawed but with over 1.5 million words, those flaws are compensated for.

How To Train Your Dragon:

Prodigal Son by commandocucumber, in which Hiccup left the village with Toothless a few years ago and the story follows both, Hiccup and his journey overseas and Astrid and her life in Berk as they are slowly but surely losing to the dragons. In the later chapters, the two viewpoints are finally starting to meet.

13. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

I don't agree with the Fire Emblem rec. I think Invisible Ties is better than that.

14. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

I'm liking Psi Effect (SB) much more than I did Interstitium. Haven't read OSaBC, but given the description I doubt I'd like it very much.

15. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    I'd say Hitchups beats out Prodigal Son for that one, although it is a good runner up.

---------- Post automerged at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

Is knowledge about the game needed to enjoy?

16. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Nemrut Prodigal Son is in the Library.
    Nazgus Hitchups is good, but it is also massively, hugely overrated.

17. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

I would say no. Since it's loosely based on canon, in fact, I would even recommend reading without prior knowledge of the game. The writer did go for canon pairing though.

On another note, Hitchups is currently on my top spot and may go down lower after I've finished reading Prodigal.

18. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Gonna give it a shot then!

It's been a few years since I last read it, so it might be nostalgia speaking, but I'm gonna disagree there. What about it did you dislike??

19. Nemrut

High Score:
    Yes? I'm fairly certain I linked to the thread in my post.

20. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Thought you linked to FFnet. My bad.