1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Best Original Character

Discussion in 'Award Winners 2007' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Feb 4, 2007.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Best Original Character

[​IMG]

1st Place: Kwan in Bungle in the Jungle: A Harry Potter Adventure by jbern
    2nd Place: Zab in Apprentice Potter / Journeyman Potter by Draco664
    3rd Place: Lilith in Queens of Darkness, Ladies of Light by Thalarian

2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Holy shit! No Hack!? The others are fine, but... Hack!??

3. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Heh. Well done, jbern. But no Hack!? :D

4. japanese_jew

japanese_jew High Inquisitor

Eh, Lilith wasn't an original character.
    Lilith

I suppose that she was OC for the HP universe.

5. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Japanese-jew: Lilith may be a mythological being, but her character was not defined really, especially not in HP where she does not exist. I'd argue therefore that Lilith is an OC.

6. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Way to be an idiotic fool, Jap. You just said she was an Potterverse OC. Thats all that matters. This isnt an HP/Bible Crossover.

7. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

This outcome actually surprised me, Lilith should have taken this one.
    I took Kwan as a 'Mad Eye Moody' replacement.
    Where in some fics he's the hard teacher who magically powers Harry up with his unusual teaching methods.
    I guess this one was a bit biased.

8. haroon_angel

haroon_angel Fourth Year

Yes i agrees lilith was by far the best character

9. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Why? Because Harry fucked her brains out? We haven't seen enough of her to get a good judge on her character. But I guess, when it comes to a character like her, most don't care about how she acts and things like that.

Pervs. :D

10. Anarual

Anarual Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Can't believe Namach didn't get anything here

11. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

That story has a lot of hate directed at it Anarual. People hate the dum!Wizard and Super!Vamp.

But he did get one of my votes (Can't remember which one though)

12. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I probably would have spared my 3rd vote for this story if it was another character to get nominated.
    He's really just Super!Vamp like TEAOS said with no real character 'development'.

Kwan is ok to win, really one of my favorite OC's.
    I don't remember Zab, because it's just too long ago that I read Apprentice Potter (and I haven't read the sequel yet.)

Lilith just appears in one scene and in that she rapes Harry/Harry rapes her. So not much room to flesh her out a bit more.
    Thal could have gotten more awards if he weren't that slow with updating his story. ;)

btw: Spell Check just corrected favourite to favorite - is it really wrong or just BE - AE difference?

13. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I like "A Second Chance at Life", but personally I don't see what's so special about Namach. So he's a benevolent vampire demi-god and has been here since forever. So what? It's not like there's something particularly special or memorable about his character. Miranda has at least 6-7 other characters who are carbon copies of Namach, only of different species and/or gender (the headmistress, elf teacher, elf warriors, that fem vampire assassin clan leader etc...).

14. Thalarian

Thalarian Seventh Year

Much as I loathe to admit it, Sy's got a damn good point. >_<

However, on that point, at least the perverts got me into the top 3, so once again no complaints. :) You know what they say about knowing your readers.

To have a character that's not even fully fleshed out be nominated gives me a smile that maybe I did do something right with her. Beyond all the smut/rape she was involved in, a lot of people seem to react to her personality nicely and I can only hope that future chapters will make people love, or hate, her with just as much passion.

I've always believed the key to a great OC for the HP universe(Not just HP alone either), is not just how great you make them, whether it be personality or depth. But just how great of an emotional attachment your readers get with that OC, be it love or hate. If they walk away with that much passion for your characters, then you've given your readers an excellent gift.

Thanks again for everyone for voting, and congrats again for everyone that's won.

15. japanese_jew

japanese_jew High Inquisitor

Vash: I really liked the character of Horace Rumpole in Bexis' HP and the Fifth Element, but didn't nominate him because he was borrowed from another work of fiction. Similarly, I liked Captain Mal in Brown Coat, Green Eyes by nonjon, but didn't nominate him because he was borrowed from another work of fiction. Are you saying that it was entirely possible for me to have nominated them?

16. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

JJ: here's just a little measurement of how many people care about your plight.

[​IMG]

Drop it. It was old weeks ago. It's old now. There's a line that's easy to understand. Rowling herself took half her ideas from Arthurian Legend but no one gives a shit. You feel these things and if you can't understand it, take a hike.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  17. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Lol. GIVE-A-FUCK-O-METER.

Anyway, now that I think about it, the winner, Kwan, probably has less dialogue than Lilith and what dialogue he does have is spoken in broken English. Loooool. Amusing.
    Looool. The character is the biggest Gary-Stu ever. Along with his whole fucking race. And every other race that isn't human.

I bet the horses in this are more advanced than wizards, the why the story goes.

18. The Duke

The Duke Seventh Year

Definitely wasn't expecting Kwan...
    I can see Lilith getting in but I'm glad she got third instead of first or second.

19. Runeknight

Runeknight Second Year

I liked Lilith, Kwan wasn't too bad either... and I can't remember much about Zab. Though for me I think me liking Lilith might be influenced by the whole idea of Harry bringing her back to life and under his control. The whole plot and idea were awesome, so I guess I might of been a little bias.

20. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I voted for Kawn, Hack & Zab... Why is there no Hack?!?

Hack was awesome :p

Not surprised on the Namach thing - all the races in that seemed over-powered to a huge degree. I still read it though, but stopped when Harry drank the dragon blood.

Not open for further replies.