1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Board Games

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Feoffic, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

There's not a lot of talk about board games on this forum, so let's fix that.

What mechanics do you enjoy the most?

What was your first euro board game exposure?

What is your current favorite board game?

Who wishes they had the money for this monstrosity?

2. theronin

theronin Order Member

The big things for me are:

1. Replayability, so something to ensure that every game doesn't play out the same
    2. unclear optimization: the optimal decision for any given turn shouldn't be obvious.
    3. Some way to control the effects of die rolls.

I played a lot of Axis and Allies growing up, which does a fairly good job with all 3, but once you put in a lot of games it grows a bit stale. Still a fun game though, and I will play a game with my old friends once in a while.
    More recently, Small World and Cyclades are the two best games I have played. Both have randomly determined effects that make every game different, minimal die rolling, and can be quite deep despite relatively simple mechanics. Small World is much simpler than Cyclades, but the bidding system in Cyclades opens up all kinds of different mind games and strategies that can be a ton of fun to play wit.

3. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=21483

I play a lot of board games. The more complicated, the better, but most importantly, it has to be fun. I'll play pretty much anything. The most recent game I've been addicted to is the Firefly boardgame. I also had a lot of fun with the Game of Thrones boardgame. I really wish more people around my area were into dungeon crawlers, but they honestly take forever - the closest thing I managed to do was the Munchkin boardgame. I also want to get into kingdom builder type games, since I love games with a million pieces, though I'm not a huge fan of manuals that are the size of the Goblet of Fire.

And holy crap, $1000 for a boardgame? I thought the $170 I spent on Epicus was a lot (dat leather game board and pewter pieces though).