1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Broken Empire Trilogy

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by White Rabbit, Jul 2, 2013.

1. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

Has anyone else read the first two books, Prince of Thorns and King of Thorns? I picked it up at random the other week. I like medieval fantasy books and this one has an interesting spin. It's not amazing mind blowingly well written but I had fun reading it. I enjoy the rise to power and the realistic qualities it brings to this genre.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I have not read them, but for anyone else who wanted a link/summary, here you go:
    Prince of Thorns: When he was nine, he watched as his mother and brother were killed before him. At thirteen, he led a band of bloodthirsty thugs. By fifteen, he intends to be king…

It’s time for Prince Honorous Jorg Ancrath to return to the castle he turned his back on, to take what’s rightfully his. Since the day he hung pinned on the thorns of a briar patch and watched Count Renar’s men slaughter his mother and young brother, Jorg has been driven to vent his rage. Life and death are no more than a game to him—and he has nothing left to lose. But treachery awaits him in his father’s castle. Treachery and dark magic. No matter how fierce his will, can one young man conquer enemies with power beyond his imagining?

King of Thorns: The boy who would be King has gained the throne...

Prince Honorious Jorg Ancrath vowed when he was nine to avenge his slaughtered mother and brother—and punish his father for not doing so. When he was fifteen, he began to fulfill that vow. Now he is eighteen—and he must hold on by strength of arms to what he took by torture and treachery.

King Jorg is a man haunted: by the ghost of a young boy, by a mysterious copper box, by his desire for the woman who rides with his enemy. Plagued by nightmares of the atrocities he committed, and of the atrocities committed against him when he was a child, he is filled with rage. And even as his need for revenge continues to consume him, twenty thousand men march toward the gates of his castle. His enemy is far stronger than him. Jorg knows that he cannot win a fair fight.

But he has found, in a chamber hidden beneath the castle, ancient and long-lost artifacts. Some might call them magic. Jorg is not certain—all he knows is that the secrets they hold can be put to terrible use in the coming battle...

Any reason not to just put these over in the Recommended Books thread? It doesn't seem like you're wanting to spark serious conversation on/about the series.

How sympathetic is the protagonist by the way? The summary, especially of the second book, doesn't make him sound that great to read about.

Otherwise sounds pretty neat.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  3. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

I read them both. I liked it well enough. Also I remember there being threads for both of the books.

Anyway it's a pretty good read. Though the hero is pretty much an asshole, he slowly is becoming less of one. The last book of the series is releasing soon. August iirc

Edit: Prince of Thorn , King of Thorn. I guess the mods can merge the thread, since the posts are very less.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  4. White Rabbit

Haven't really checked the book discussion section out much before. Probably would've been a better fit. My quick search didn't bring anything up, but I'm on my phone so it wasn't very thorough.

He makes a transition from dealing with obstacles with straight violence and ruthlessness to more effective means. Still willing to come down hard when necessary but unnecessary violence is contained. They give reasons for it but I'd rather not spoil anything if someone wants to read it.

5. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Also if you are interested, there are two short stories set in the Broken Empire Universe. One is in an anthology called Unfettered(which also has stories by Rothfuss,Sanderson,Tad Williams among others) and the second one is here

6. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

So Emperor of Throne has released. I have to reread both of the books before reading it now.

7. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I loved both the first two books in the series, and the first one was my top début novel for the year (before Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis came out and blew it out of the water).

Got my copy of Emperor and plan to read it on the weekend.

8. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

I read and loved them both. I didn't know the third book was released. I'm gonna have to pick it up soon.

9. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I suppose I'll just do a copypasta of my review from elsewhere. But this book was awesome and deserves the full five stars that it got from me. Looking back, there were possible issues - characters and plotlines not followed through - but the pages pulled me along and never let me feel it. Only looking back with a bit less clouded eyes could I see where flaws might have been.

10. White Rabbit

I liked the series overall. But this last one kind of let me down. It felt rushed to me. Everyone figured out who the dead king was fairly early on. The side characters were kind of forgotten it felt. I'm okay with the ending, but I felt like this book could have used a little more fleshing out.

11. vinais

vinais Second Year

Agree with the whole story seeming rushed in the last book. But cant really think of a better ending either.

Was satisfied overall at he culmination of the series. Gonna read it from first to third books in one go again cos I loved the world building.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

12. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

I reread the whole series after the third one came out, and I loved the series as a whole. 2nd was the best book for me, but I did really like the third one as well. Even though it was a bit rushed, especially the scenes in the present. Some of my favorite movements in the third one were

Jorg killing his cousin and Jorg killing the motherfucking POPE.

13. Ravnius

Ravnius Auror

I'm still not entirely sure of what precisely HAPPENED in the Series, but damn if they weren't good books.

14. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Well to say the truth I am a bit disappointed with this book.. it felt very rushed, especially towards the end. And I dislike how he handled the flashbacks.. but then I am not a great fan of these not matter how well done.