1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved Broken Skin?

Discussion in 'DLP Feedback and Improvement' started by The Iron Rose, Aug 13, 2017.

1. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

Not entirely sure if this is the intentional design, but if it is, frankly, it looks uh. Not good.

[​IMG]

2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

It's WIP still, i do believe.

3. The Iron Rose

I'm a dumbass. My personal settings were still set to the dark darklordpotter theme, which is obviously still a work in progress. The light theme works way better.

4. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

> the conversation your parents had with God when you were born

5. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Feedback welcome, the dark skin is under development.

6. The Iron Rose

In that case, the real big issue is that it's really bad when you scale up to larger resolutions. The dark skin isn't nearly so bad on a 768p or 1080p screen, but at 1440p and above the empty space that letterboxes the main page looks really obvious. Additionally, the different elements on the page have a color scheme that's far too close together. It's difficult to pick out any one particular item or element because the whole thing blends together visually.

Compare and contrast to spacebattles, for example:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You'll note that there's very little wasted space, and there's a great deal of color contrast, as well as consistency. Everything that you can click on is a bright green, immediately relevant information (content, page, thread title) is in a large white, not immediately relevant information but good to include (time, date of post, last edited, post number) is in an unobtrusive gray. There are a few exceptions like the page numbers, reasonably sized announcements, and the bar of links at the top draw the whole thing together.

It essentially needs an aesthetic overhaul and widescreen support, is all.

The light theme, by comparison, has much better color contrast and relatively intuitive design. A bit eye searing, but that's personal preference. It's not really any better at widescreen support either, but because the color palette blends together better it's not as visually obtrusive.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  7. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

We have the best skins.

8. Lord Ravenclaw

The problem in my mind is that if you let the site continue to grow unboundedly, it gets real ugly real fast. I run a 21:9 monitor, if DLP expanded to fit the width it'd be less usable IMO. I find SpaceBattles difficult to use and end up putting it in a separate scaled down window, even on my normal 16:9 displays.

I think we've made some progress here. I've worked over the last day to add some more contrast. What do you think?

I've done some work on this as well, though the header needs some serious TLC. Thoughts?

9. Lord Ravenclaw

Alright, marking this as complete. I think the WIP skin is an acceptable homage to our previous design. Perhaps some tweaks, but there's a thread for that. If you have more thoughts @The Iron Rose, feel free to reply.