1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Building a new PC - AMD vs NVIDIA?

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Jamven, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

So yeah, I looking to build me a new PC in the next few months. Trying to figure out which way I should go with the mobo/processor

What I am going to be keeping from the old build....

Case
    Antec - 900
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...129021&cm_re=Antec_900-_-11-129-021-_-Product

lol, that's about it. I might keep my card, which is XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770

Though I am not sure if I even want to keep it.

What are the rumors going around about the new generation of products from Intel/NVIDIA and AMD?

According to This chart, the 5770 is one of the better cards I could have

I might even consider getting a new case. The one I have current is a bitch to move around

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  2. se7en

se7en Professor

For all intents and purposes, the i5 2500k is the best of its price range. If you want to go towards the cheaper AMD's that are almost of the same quality, then go no further than the AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition.

You can honestly choose any motherboard, and as I'm too lazy, I'll just leave you with a few tips. USB 3.0 and SATA III 6gb aren't being used to the fullest extent. You wont really need it, in my opinion. I use the SATA 6gb because I have a SATA III Solid State Drive. You do want to have the correct socket too. Make sure to match the sockets, so you don't have to mourn when the shipping comes, and you can't build your computer because you got the wrong motherboard.

If your old computer can handle a 5770, your power supply is probably fine, as is your dvd drive and old hard drive.

I do have to go to sleep though, so here are a couple other things to think about:

I have quite a bit of experience with building computers, and I'm going to say this: I hate the Antec 900.

The case is small, and with the size of new graphics cards, it is becoming more and more of a problem. This is currently what I have. You can kind of tell that the more expensive cases also have the cool perks that can help you in the long run. The wire management help, the hard drive mounts, etc.

And in terms of computer building, the case, keyboard, mouse, and monitor are the things that are going to stay constant from one build to the next (which is why I suggest you invest in a a good mouse and a mechanical keyboard :D). And if you have the money, a a solid state drive.

3. The Arid Legion

The Arid Legion Professor

AMD VS NVIDIA? I think one of us is confused here. Doesn' AMD make CPU's and ATI make graphics cards? Or is lack of sleep just catching up to me?

You didn't mention a budget so I'd say go for the ASUS GTX580. Unless you're specifically looking for an ATI/NVIDIA card.

4. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

It's slowly starting to reach it's peak. It's somewhere between 500-600W. I might decide to get a wild hair up my ass and crossfire/sli two cards at somepoint.

Yeah, my old 8800 and the 5770 where a bitch to install on it. Not to mention wire routing inside the case. That's one pricey case you have

Lack of ability to edit thread titles. Meant to say AMD/ATI vs Intel/Nvidia

*edit*
    I might keep the case/old mobo and parts for a RAID setup that I was thinking about making at somepoint

*edit 2*
    anyone know what the differences are between these boards?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  5. Goreshade

Goreshade Fourth Year

As of 2010 there is no longer ATI graphics cards, only AMD graphics cards.

6. Lucky_Number_sLevin

Lucky_Number_sLevin Banned

What exactly are you going to be using this computer for?

Also wanna point out that AMD's new line of processors is set to launch in the next couple months at reasonable prices. It really sucks when you buy a CPU and a better one at the same price comes out a couple months later.

7. Beonid

Beonid Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I take issue with this - the 2500k is far, far better than the 955. The 955 is at least two years old now, and wasn't wonderful when it came out - it was a good match for the Core 2 Quads.

More in-depth testing.

8. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter