1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Can't load desktop?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Sarah, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Sarah

Sarah Daddy Issues

Okay so I boot up my computer and for some reason after inputting my pass I get a preparing your desktop...after that has finished loading I get a popup that says my desktop can't be found so it defaults to some basic factory setting. Everything works perfectly and when I restart my desktop works as normal.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit home premium and does anyone have an idea why this happens?

2. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Screenshot or exact wording of the pop-up would help.

3. Sarah

Sarah Daddy Issues

Hm...I can't seem to get it anymore.

It said as close as I can remember that C:/Windows/system32/config/systemprofile/desktop something couldn't be found.

I tried to search for it (when the desktop wasn't working and it didn't (or wouldn't) find it. Though I'm finding it just fine now. Gah. What a weird error.

4. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

Did the resolution change? Have your desktop icons grown bigger while it was in this default factory setting?

5. Sarah

Sarah Daddy Issues

No the resolution was exactly the same, the icons were the same (just my folders on my desktop were missing) my wallpaper and bar color was different (It had defaulted to windows 98 like) and that's it. Really bizarre error.

I seem to have fixed it by changing my desktop to something else before turning it back.

6. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Sarah, this isn't a totally uncommon problem, I have had to fix it at work a few times. Basically the file relating your credentials to your profile gets corrupt or is just not picked up. Your original profile still exists (as you found when you restarted) but windows goes ahead and creates a new profile for you.

I wouldn't worry about it because the restart usually fixes it. When it doesn't you have to find the file that it's giving you an error for and place it back into your original profile instead of your new profile - restart and you will have your original profile back.

For now, make another account on your computer and give it admin rights. Just in case your profiles gets lost again. Because you will need an account other than your profile and pseudo profile to fix the issue.

7. Sarah

Sarah Daddy Issues

Thanks for the advice Nuhuh.

8. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

My profile ended up being rather boned after that happened the first time. I ended up making a new account and copying over settings/application data/etc. and salvaging the best I could...part of the problem was a dying HDD, but that was a rather extreme case.

At work we have this issue regularly. Most of that is due to the nature of roaming (network based) profiles.

If a restart works for you, great. If not, just make a new account.