1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Can't Play year old games.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Quick Ben, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Hey guys, so I am getting really frustrated and Google isn't helping, hope I can get some here.

So I have been trying to play old games, that is Mass effect an Dragon age origins but once I installed them they won't launch and they keep crashing with application errors. for example Mass effect give me, "The application failed to initialize properly(o xc0000005).click OK to terminate the application.)

What the hell can I do its frustrating, and I haven't changed anything from when I last played them.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What OS do you use? usually updating drivers is a good policy too.

3. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Are you playing these games on Steam?

Open Steam -> Library -> right-click Mass Effect -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache

That'll put the game back to normal and won't mess with your old saves. If any of the game's files aren't correct, Steam will re-download them.

edit:

An access problem? If the Steam trick doesn't work, then try disabling all antivirus and firewall programs. Reboot.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  4. Quick Ben

Unfortunately I don't use steam, I usually get the Discs,is there another way of verifying the cache.

Also the access problem is in Mass effect, Dragon age just tells me that DA:O.exe has stopped working.
    I am using Vista Home premium 32-bit, and a little while ago, I was replaying a game and it would not start unless I un-updated my drivers(installed the old ones)

5. Hero of Stupidity

High Score:
    There is your problem. Using Vista 32.

6. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Did you try to start them in XP compatibility mode? And / or as Administrator? That might fix some problems.

7. Quick Ben

Yeah I did, it was the first thing I did, sigh guess Hero of stupidity is right it has to be Vista.

What I don't get and completely frustrates me is that they were working, I had re-installed and played them again like two times, now this. How can I know where things went wrong?

8. yak

Have you checked your security software? By which I mean, disable it completely. Reboot. Make sure it's still disabled - hell, uninstall it if you have to - and then try your games.

Security software has some bizarre behaviour sometimes.

9. Quick Ben

Will try that when I get home, thanks for the advice guys.

---------- Post automerged at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

Hey got home, did everything you guys suggested and nothing, could it be a .dll problem perhaps the .Net framework somehow isn't working? because IIRC thats what causes the error somehow.

10. Hero of Stupidity

High Score:
    My only advice is to degrade it to xp or upgrade it to 7.

11. yak

I'm a little out of my depth at this point. xc0000005 seems to be a pretty generic error.

I'd re-install Vista [put Vista disc in drive and reboot]. It takes an hour or so, but once it's done, it's done. If you still have an error after that, then it's likely a hardware issue. Start looking at your RAM, video card, etc.

edit: Alternatively, upgrading with a Win 7 disc is a better option. Go for 64-bit Pro or Ultra if you can get them, but any of the Win 7s are good.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  12. Zansa

Zansa Fourth Year

Have you made sure the games are fully patched? Sometimes manually downloading and installing any patches will fix start-up errors.

13. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Also googling "Mass Effect with Vista" and "Dragon Age with Vista" will probably land you on fan sites with solutions.

14. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

Honestly, I don't think your OS is the problem. I've played both games just fine on my Desktop, which runs Vista. I don't know how to fix, but I really don't think Vista is the problem. Maybe there was a error during the installation process that corrupted the .exe, in which case, you could always download one from the internet at a website that you trust.