1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Captain America: Civil War

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Starwind, Nov 25, 2015.

1. chaosattractor

chaosattractor Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Am I the only one who remembers the events of The Winter Soldier?

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

There isn't a "Team UN" in my mind. There's Team Stark and Team Cap. The UN just happens to be on Stark's side, even if they are using him more than he is using them.

There was no third side in this movie, unless it was Black Panther. And he wasn't so much a side as a lone agent with his own agenda.
    LittleChicago - I'm also interested in the question of 'security versus freedom' even if no superheroes are involved. It can be seen in the recent iphone debacle - is it better to be safe (and crack the terrorist iphone) or to have freedom (to not crack it).

The benefit of adding superheroes is usually that such nebulous concepts can be given a face. When it's "the FBI versus Apple" there are tons of people involved at every level, and no one single person is making the decision alone in a vacuum. When it's "Stark versus Cap" all the extraneous material can be scrapped to get to the heart of the matter, because they are two people who can act alone, because they have power that no normal person does.

That's what I'd wanted to see.

For what it's worth I didn't see eye-to-eye with Stark in terms of the accords. What was needed, I think, was wiggle room. It didn't have to be "under the thumb of the UN" or "accountable to nobody." There is middle ground there, if they had bothered to look for it.

3. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Both Sebastian Stan and Anthony Mackie said they'd trade Cap for Widow in a heartbeat, and Chris Evans agreed. Everybody's Team Widow.

I was referring to Tasoli's last line there, but honestly I get the idea that Stark wasn't thinking he'd weasel out of consequences so much as he wasn't thinking at all, he was just hurting.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Especially given the specifics of the situation and the time frame. He didn't just find out that the Winter Soldier probably killed his mum. He didn't read it on a paper or get it in an e-mail.

He was blindsided by a close up video of the guy killing his mother in a slow, painful choke hold as she stared, terrified, at the cooling body of her husband.
    And the guy that did it was RIGHT THERE next to Tony. Are there any superheroes ever with the moral fortitude to not have a visceral emotional reaction to that shit?

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  5. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Team 'betray your chosen side at the moment it matters most and up distrusted by everybody'?

Dunno, Tony's words on Widow felt pretty accurate to me. It's hard for her to shake the backstabber role. Or she keeps being forced into it.

6. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Watched it today. It was great fun, there were a few quibbles about Tony early on but nothing major. T'Challa's accent never settled in with me, but I fanboyed out watching Chadwick Boseman and John Kani for those few glorious minutes for the latter died.

King of the Dead better be involved because you cannot just throw John Kani away after such incredible chemistry with Chadwick.

7. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, it seemed to me like Tony's rational brain was just completely shut off, and he wasn't even thinking about any of the larger moral implications of his actions. Heck, I doubt he was even thinking. Just running on pure rage. Which, considering the circumstances, I have a hard time blaming him for. A Vulcan would be emotionally compromised by what happened to Tony.

8. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

To be honest, few months before the film release, I noticed I wasn't waiting for it as much as I was for previous Marvel productions. I was sure it will be good, but aside introducing Black Panther, it was going to be just more of the same. It was going to be Avengers 2.5 and my biggest problem with Avengers 2 was that it was just good instead of amazing. The film was nothing to be really excited about.

After watching it today, I can say that, yes, in a way it was just more of the same, but at the same time its strength wasn't in a novelty. It was in taking every element of MCU and using it to say a compelling story that had lot of action, but surprisingly lot of heart too.

Despite loads of characters, everyone had its time to shine which was great. They all had cool action scenes, and the airport scene was a masterpiece of superhero group fighting, but what surprised me, most of them got an emotional stuff too, if only for a scene or two. Even the villain, and Marvel films really struggle with their bad guys, managed to be a person you could somehow understand.

All in all, this film managed to once again make me excited for Avengers 3 and 4 because Russo brothers definitely know their job and I can't wait to see what they will do with the rest of Marvel superheroes.

9. Yeagen

Yeagen First Year

I thought Civil War was great. I liked it much more then Batman versus Superman, it gave an actually believable reason why the Avengers team would duke it out. BvS didn't really do that, it just gave unnecessary dream scenes and a horrible performance from Jesse Eisenberg's portrayal of Lex Luthor. Well, Eisenberg wasn't bad but he was scripted to play something his character wasn't. Lex Luthor didn't have a psychological illness, but in the movie he clearly does. Lex Luthor is just ambitious and has a strong dislike for Superman. He does things completely out of character of his comic book persona in the movie as well. Lex Luthor wouldn't do what Eisenbergs character did in the end of the movie for example.

Anyway, I was quite impressed with Civil War and thought the acting was on point, especially from Evans and Downey. Yes, the villain didn't have a city or world destroying goal, as in most Marvel movies but it was realistic and understandable with the villains intentions and I really liked that. Well done, Marvel.

10. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362

Εrr, not to rain on your parade and I'm sure what you've been reading that made you think this, but comic mainstream Luthor definitely has psychological illnesses, he's just very rich and very smart for that to be an issue.

11. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Well, to be fair, Yeagen is talking about how psychotic Lex Luthor was in that film which is not something I've seen before. Obsessive, sure, but not psychotic. The closest would be his Braniac addiction in JLU. I admit, I enjoyed the Lex parts where he wasn't being overly weird, where he wasn't displaying tics. The part with him over superman was great.

The film in hand. I watched it, really enjoyed it. The real main plot, the captain america and winter solider plot line, was very interesting and well done. I'm on board with the people saying that I think Zemo in this film was a good villain (admittedly, I only remember his name, I can't think of much about him from the non-cinematic universe).

I worry that by the time of infinity war there will just be too many characters. Ant-man and Spider-man had some of the best lines, a lot of what they said made me laugh out loud in the cinema, but still, I felt like certain sections did inflict bloat on the film's storyline. Even though those sections were enjoyable in themselves.

12. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

So, I rarely finding myself commenting on movie music beyond, "shits good," or, "shit sucks," but man. This tune. Is it as perfect as it gets for Cap + Bucky -> Iron Man with the high brass step down arpeggios as all involved sink lower and lower into conflict? And every time after the beginning, each is interrupted. Trumpets to low strings, then low strings to middle brass. Then a gigantic ass trombone start to more low brass and fat ass bass drums. Then the fucking tubas followed by chimes. All building back up to high brass THEN MORE TUBAWORK AND CHORUS AND TRAGIC SOARING FRENCH HORN AND MORE LOW BRASS I'M DYING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6NhRGwGguo&list=PLgpWRQLtXHqkEpyTBR-gyzPmn2F0DUIaE&index=18

It's beautiful

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  13. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

According to an interview with the Russo Bros, their initial storyboards had a character list with 67 names on it.

14. Blorcyn

Haha, fantastic. Reminds me though, was any one else unusually surprised by Martin Freeman's appearance and characterisation? I know famous faces love marvel roles at the moment but that one really made me do a double take.

15. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

As long as he makes an appearance in Doctor Strange, everything will be fine. :p

16. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Went, watched, wloved it.

BP and Spidey were my favorite parts, except when the Avengers bro it up. I just can't buy platonic friendship with Black Widow though. That woman exudes sex. Just can't.

17. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

Freeman's American accent was pretty terrible.

18. Bucks

Bucks Headmaster DLP Supporter

He will come back in the Black Panther movie I think.

19. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Was it supposed to be an American accent? I didn't even realise, lol. Based on the few lines I remember of his, he didn't sound American at all.

20. Blorcyn

It was definitely an american accent, I think that's what I found so odd. Whether it was a good accent I couldn't tell you. I'd believe it if you told me it wasn't. It definitely seemed odd coming from his face though.