1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Case 129 by Silens Cursor - T

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by Photon, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Photon

Photon Order Member

Title: Case 129
    Author: Silens Cursor
    Rating: T
    Genre: Mystery/Tragedy
    Library Category: General Fics
    Summary: "Three investigators. Two suspects. One murder. Nothing that special... or at least that's what they thought. Winner of the DLP February Dark Arts competition."
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6815334/1/

Detective fic in the HP universe are for some reason extremely rare. So good one, especially with something more is a great thing. Contest thread: https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=18556

Placing it in The Alternates would kill the twist. Unfortunately presence of spoiler itself is a spoiler.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Yeah this was good times, though it's been a while since I've read it. I'd say it's at least a 4/5, but I can't be more specific without re-reading it (which I might do later).

3. GTMFPS

GTMFPS Squib

4.5 / 5

Amazing. That's the only way to describe this story and I think it is a crime that so few people have it.

The spelling and grammar is good. There were a few mistakes but no one is perfect and they didn't bother me much because I was too interested in the story to care. In fact I only found the mistakes when I read for the second time specifically looking for mistakes.

The fight scenes were okay and the author came up with a wide range of spells (as wide a range of spells that you can have in a 9000 word long one-shot) and an imaginative tool that seemed realistic and not too over powered. I only wish that the author had maybe explained the Blasting Rod (the tool I mentioned earlier) a bit more as it was an interesting concept.

The only problem I had with the story was that the participants in the fights all cast verbally and the fights were a bit too short for my liking but these 'problems' aren't really problems at all and rather me being a picky bastard.

Also the twist at the end is great.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  4. Photon

Photon Order Member

Blasting Rod seems to be imported from "Dresden Files" series.

5. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Oh hey, I might have written this story...

Regarding the Blasting Rod - that was a deal I made with Zombie, I'd include a Blasting Rod in my story and he'd eventually read my other stories. Not sure if he ever followed through on it, but eh, whatever, I still dug the hell out of writing this.

6. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

This is the kind of Harry I'd like to see more off.

4/5

7. Mordart

Mordart Slug Club Member

I think the most startling thing about the whole story was how you made the DE seem so... well, NORMAL. Like they themselves were a certain kind old-school cop. You didn't know until the end it was DE's that had won which Harry was killing. I thought he'd just lost a few screws, settling scores, but no. Love to see snippets of this continued.

8. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Read it years ago. It stuck in my memory, apparently, because I don't have to re-read it to know it's definitely Library worthy. 5/5 just for the twist at the end.