1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Catharsis by Nuhuh - R

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Innomine, Dec 23, 2008.

1. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

:awesome

That is all.

2. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

All I have to say are two words:

FUCK. YES.

I opened my email this afternoon to find an alert for a new chapter of Catharsis, and then jizzed my pants.

Also, since I couldn't quite remember what happened in the last arc (I read so many stories, they all bleed together now-a-days), I reread the last chapter of the first and promptly jizzed in my pants - again. I do believe you hold the title of "best motherfucking epic magical duel in fanfiction. EVAR."

Keep up the good work.

3. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Not sure about this.

In the first alternate dimension that Harry went to, he took the place of his squib counterpart.

I find it more likely that both Harry and Bianca have taken the places of the "firstborn" twins (they were twins in the alternate reality, yes?) that Lily has been angsting over for so long. James may even be aware of the fact that he had twin children and that his memory was erased, but may simply take solace in not recalling them. Regardless, I expect that he thinks it likely.

If this is the case, then perhaps AU Mark 2 Harry and Bianca escaped the goblins' clutches and were replaced in mid escape attempt? This may explain their location.

My 2 cents.

4. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Thanks for the reviews guys. Militis, I did enjoy writing that duel.

JF and Howdy, I shall not confirm or deny your very complex scenarios. *notes down ideas*.

btw, best anonymous review for the update yet: "I think you should work on Clockface. Seriously." <-- Made me lol. So who was it?

5. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

Any differences with the version posted on FF.net or is it basically the same from WbA?

6. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

nuhuh, this is by far one of the most kickass, intriguing, awsome, IT"S OVER 9000!!! stories I have ever had the intense pleasure of reading.
    As a matter of course I am required to ask that you give us MOAR ASAP.
    Plz?

7. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

Oh yeah, you should also work on Clockface.

And no, it wasn't me, although I have made the claim many times in other posts and reviews.

8. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I agree with this.

7 STARS

out of 9.

Or so.

GOBLINS!!!!!!!!!

9. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Second Year

That would be a pretty neat trick, considering Bianca had her own father's wand, and Harry was still suffering from his wounds from the previous arc.

In other words, 'Not bloody likely. No, not at all.'

10. merchantofam

merchantofam Fifth Year DLP Supporter

I like how you, N, ended the chapter with cliff hangers sort of makes it worthwhile when we get chp. 13. Though I am surprised that it took Bianca took this long to notice that HP is not who he seems to be. I am looking forward to how you will explain the presence of the 'Twins Who Lived' to this new 'universe', one that is even more convoluted than the first. Or will you have HP traveling the multi-verse till he reaches his own, and hopefully somewhere in that particular past, sort of like with Overkill-HP's Terminal Justice.

Nevertheless I eagerly await the new update.

Oh and I know this is not the best place to request this but could also pick up Demon's Feign, Merlin's Pain? Thanks

11. Nuhuh

Actually if you look back at how many times Bianca has encountered Harry you'll see she hasn't had much opportunity to see him do the awesome things he does.

1. At the Dursley house. Where she panicked and ran away not knowing what happening.

2. At the Ministry when she was attacked by Greengrass clan, and Harry clubbed someone to save her. (This encounter doesn't scream uber magic guy)

3. Duel against Dumbledore. This is the first time she actually sees Harry in action.

4. Post banishment by Dumbledore and attack of the goblins.

Overall she and he have had very limited interaction, which will change in this arc. And you will see some of her pov in the next chapter as well.

As far as the overall multiverse/time-jumping scenario....honestly you will see it as it comes to me. I am not stressing planning on this one.

12. Portus

Portus Heir

Uber-Awesome chapter is uber-awesome.

I'm glad to hear you say that there'll be more interaction between Bianca and Harry in this arc, because from reading Chapter 12 I had a suspicion that this arc might have little to no Harry and be more James-centric, in preparation for an as-yet-undisclosed third arc.

Then again, I also had a suspicion that this arc would involve a rampaging!Harry hell-bent on retrieving his newly-found sister from whoever took her, and damn the consequences. I'm sort of holding out hope for that still, but I also really like the completely unexpected AU you've introduced here.

I don't trust Ariana or Albus Dumbledore right now, especially as we know there's an undiscovered traitor in the Order from eleven years prior. I like your characterization of James as a conflicted hero, trying to live up to the fame of defeating Voldemort (which he suspects is undeserved), trying to protect his wife and family, and trying to do the right thing with so much uncertainty around. I enjoyed Sirius as a non-playboy Auror and Remus as a put-upon character, in the sense that he has to do a lot of the dirty work, when it is implied that none of the missing kids are even his. Oh, and while I distrust Ariana, I do like what you've come up with, from the two head nods to the practiced subtlety with getting the info she's after. Nice.

One question, and since no one has brought it up, maybe I'm the only dunce who didn't understand exactly what you meant.

This passage confuses me. From my reading of it, they seem to be talking about two different things. James is talking about Lily overcoming Albus D'dore's memory charm (to make Lily forget the false memory), and Ariana is talking about damage to her own legs and to Lily's mind (the false memory?). From the statement after the semicolon, it seems the person that put Ariana in the wheelchair is the same person who placed the false memory in Lily's mind? That would lead me to believe that it was either Grindelwald or (more likely) Voldemort that cursed both Ariana and Lily.

Surely James wouldn't allow Lily to remain Obliviated of having a son and/or daughter when some in the Order had their memories restored, and if James knows Lily has been Obliviated, then he himself hasn't been Obliviated, and his dispassionate transition from that conversation to the conversation about the lost children in the very next paragraph seems callous and too abrupt. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, and maybe I'm on the wrong track altogether, so if someone recognizes my idiocy and cares to straighten me out, feel free.

Again, glad to see you writing on this again, and I very much look forward to reading whatever you decide to do with it. Hopefully, I won't need to have every chapter explained to me. I'm not the smartest guy in the world but I'm not Trig Palin either.

13. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Do you recall reading in DH of the duel between Dumbledore, Aberforth and Grindewald? Where Ariana stumbles across them fighting and ends up dead.

Well, what I thought the chapter implied was that instead of Ariana dying she was crippled. This means that the same magic that obliviated the families of the abducted children was the same as the one that crippled her.

=Dumbledore.

Also awesomechapterisawesome5/5.

14. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

I agree, work on Clockface. This story isn't going anywhere, it feels more like something created on a whim.

15. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

The power of reading comprehension is weak in you, young padawan.

16. Novera

Novera Seventh Year

This is shocking. An update!

Good stuff so far, very different.

Only problem I had was just a nit picky kind of thing. You wrote in this chapter that Bianca uses her fathers wand, but I think I recall Bianca telling Harry that she is using Lily's wand. Even if it was Dumbledore impersonating her when that was said, I think you should change one of the scenes to match the information in the other, as it seems odd that Dumbledore would lie on something that would be just as easy to tell the truth about (which is the only way I can think of for both of the statements to work.)

17. Nuhuh

Portus, thanks for the review, happy to see what I am doing with different characterizations of familiar characters is interesting. From that paragraph you quoted your above analysis is correct. That is exactly what I am implying. The other leaps of logic you have made I won't confirm or deny :p

Doh! You're right. It had slipped my mind. I'd forgotten I had a scene mentioning that. It did occur to me when I was writing this but then I told myself "no, you had that planned for their train ride to Hogwarts which you scrapped." So thank you for the catch.

In Bianca's case it is more appropriate that she has James's wand, because it was he whose shield of wuv is on her, not Lily's. So I will have to retcon it later.

Much thanks.

18. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Should have payed attention to earlier post. I still think he should work on Clockface though. That and Demon's Feign is his best work, everything else is a bit iffy.

19. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Started reading this and realized I'd read it before. I don't remember all of the details, as it's not fresh in my memory, but I do remember being irritated somewhat with the sister and at least one of the plot devices.

I do recall it having some really good scenes and interesting battles though, and glancing back through it just now I saw some excellent writing, so unless I go back and re-read it again I'm confident giving it a 4/5 based on my memory of it. If it was 5/5 material by my personal (admittedly strange) standards the first thing that came to mind wouldn't have been "Oh, I hope this isn't the story with the sister," but it was.

20. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

Sudden change to present tense.

friend had

No need for capitalisation.

That is all I picked on.

Great chapter and I enjoyed the update.

I will once again say that you have done a wonderful characterisation of the Marauders. Very different from the way they are typically shown.

I am a bit confused about the special child you have been mentioning. Is it the grand-daughter of Ariana or is it someone else?

Also, what about the false memory of Lily? I assume it had something with her believing that she had a child which was kidnapped, especially after the reaction she had to Harry.

I demand MORE INFO. ;)

Once again, cool update and will definitely be waiting for more.