1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Challenge: Dark Harry as Dumbledore's golden boy

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Snarf, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've been looking back through all of the recent stories I've read and one thing that I thought would make a really good story just isn't there.

Why can't a dark Harry, who is working towards his own ambitions and not Voldemort's, talk the hat into making him a Gryffindor? Dumbledore is one of the most Slytherin bastards I've ever read about, with all his sneakiness and half-truths, but he was still in Gyffindor, so why can't Harry do the same?

Most super!light!Harry stories, at this point, have Dumbledore decide that the best thing to do is help Harry grow stronger politically and magically. This time, though, Harry isn't working towards the rights of werewolves for the good of mankind or things as such. What Harry wants is more allies for his own world domination and the fighting style of Dumbledore to add to his own some-what extensive dark-magical repetoire.

Oh course, I don't want Dumbledore even being partially suspicious of the fact, Harry playing himself up by snuggling in with the Weasleys and other light sided witches and wizards to try to get in his good books. And it works! Dumbledre now trusts him explicitly, even though Fawkes is a little apprehensive.

The phoenix, though, see's in Harry's mind not just the world domination, but a world united under one strict, iron-hand that will actually contain equal rights -and the same harsh punishments- for every magical being in the world. (this is crap, I'm trying to figure out something different)

Harry should go through the story changing as much about the plot line as possible, but of course Voldemort can't die! I'm hoping for this to be a three-sided battle that isn't Harry, head of twelve families, and all around goody-goody bitch led by the nose.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  2. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

That's what I've been trying to work out. I've always wanted to see a story in which Harry actually takes Dumbledore views to heart, religiously following that path through and through. Except, Harry discovers the more... sinister of the Light :devil:.

3. Snarf

High Score:
    What's a true Slytherin? Anyone that's in it sure as hell isn't one. Slytherins are supposed to be sneaky and sly, not letting anyone know their true intentions. If you pull that off, shouldn't you pretend you are the epitome of everything not Slytherin while you try and achieve your own ends?

4. Kate

Kate Elite Member DLP Supporter

I can just see it; You can't tolerate each other? *chops of heads* Now you don't have to tolerate each other...

5. Snarf

High Score:
    Very true. As I was writing it kind of suddenly came to me that *damn, Dumbledore has Fawkes, what the hell do I do?* So, I just wrote out some shit so I wouldnt get flamed for not thinking of it. If you all want to change that point, go right on ahead. Thank you Kate.

6. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

I wasn't referring to the Slytherin part. I may have twisted your original post, but bascally I've always wanted to see a fic in which Harry harnesses the magics of Light, instead of being proved continously that Dark > Light. With that, Harry somehows, finds what rivals Dark, in which depending on who writes the story, could be the more aggressive, sinister part and fights Fire vs. Fire, under Dumbledore/Order (or if you want, he could overpower Dumbledore).

7. Snarf

High Score:

That's a really good idea for another story, but it seems a little cliched, don't you think? So Harry finds strong and lethal light spells and fight against the evil darkness as super!light!Harry? Meh.

Maybe I just twisted what you just said, but that's wat it sounded like to me. What I'm going for is a Harry who doesn't just use black magic as his sole list of spells. He pulls out transfigurations and charms like Dumbledore, but adds in Voldemort's methods as well. What he doesn't want everyone else to find out, though -until the time is right- is that he is actually trying to achieve the same end goal as Voldemort: world domination.

So, Harry has the idea of getting into Gryffindor because he doesn't want everyone to know his mind works like a Slytherin; the best of Slytherin. You can do all that light shit and have him be Super!Pretend-Light!Dark!Gryffindor, but really Slytherin!Harry.

I want to post this as a challenge, but forgot to put it at the front of my title. If anyone can change that, please do so.

8. Kate

So a "Tom Riddle"-like Harry? Tom played the whole "I'm a good guy" too, except he wasn't in Gryffindor, and he couldn't fool Dumbledore.

EDIT; If Fawkes is going to be a problem, Harry could always kill him (In a sneaky kind of way, so Dumbledore won't know it's him, of cause).

9. Snarf

High Score:
    I see you get my point! Except Tom Riddle was so bogged down in hatred and megalomania that he couldn't be a real Slytherin if he tried. I want Harry to be everything Tom Riddle couldn't and gather allies from other magical races to take over the Ministry of Magic and then the rest of the world. This would be an amazing fic if someone (possibly Jbern as I'm a sheep *wink wink* *nudge nudge*) would take the time to work through it.

How the hell do you kill a Phoenix, Kate?

10. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

This should really be in the "Challenges" sub-forum. o_O

Moved

11. Kate

Got no idea, but that's what imagination is for.

12. xcel

xcel Looked into the void

An ambitious eleven year old? Yeah i was ambitious too so were a lot of people. i dreamt of conquering the world and having a castle made out of ice cream but... nope.

make him some kind of prodigy while you are at it. might be more believable.

13. Snarf

High Score:
    Well then stop writing fanfiction about a magical world where Harry Potter is the main character. If you don't want Harry to be ambitious, go read some slash fangirl story where he's led by the nose by Malfoy's fourteen inch penis. :wall:

Oh, yes, and be a dear and use proper grammar. A singular 'i' is written as I

14. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

GTFO. That was the most pointless post I have read in a good long time.

15. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Sounds very interesting. I think that people seem to forget that light magic is no joke. If Light magic was a joke then Dumbledore wouldn't have beaten Grindelwald and Voldemort wouldn't fear him. I think that wizards like Dumbledore and Moody prove that Light Magic can be just as great and powerful as Dark Magic.

If it starts out with Harry in first year some changes would need to be made to his character before he gets his letter. Maybe he has an interest in Muggle Politics before he finds out about magic and he brings his muggle political views to the wizarding world (sort of like Hermione with the House Elves, but not as annoying).

The only thing I agree with you in that "post" is making Harry a prodigy. I think you are wrong in that an 11 year old doesn't have true ambition. When the sorting hat sorts a student into Slytherin he is looking for Cunning and AMBITION. So obviously an 11 year old can have that Slytherin ambition.

....Throw some water on him?

16. Snarf

High Score:
    I'm thinking of using any cliched method, or any not cliched method, to achieve that same political drive and ambition, but after that I want the story to change totally. I've already said this twice, so I won't go into another speel about it. You all get the point. Anyone actually want to take this story on? I'd help beta if you did.

lulz

17. kit

kit Second Year

Phoenixs die and then are reborn from the ashes, perhaps, if you could manage to scatter the ashes very quickly inbetween death and rebirth, you could kill it?

18. Snarf

High Score:
    Umm, the rebirth part is pretty instantaneous. As it shows in the second book, by the time the ashes are there, the little newborn is already there on the inside. You might be able to incorporate that into a story, but you'd take a lot of shit for it.

19. kit

kit Second Year

Fine then, as soon as the damn thing pokes it's head out of the ashes, beat it to death with a large blunt object.

20. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Now that sounds more like it. Yes they can live forever but most things die when you cut off their head- try that. And, rather than just one killing curse, two might do the trick. Perhaps it doesn't have the power to go through the rebirthing process twice in the matter of seconds or something.