1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Challenge: Dark Harry as Dumbledore's golden boy

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Snarf, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Lorelei of the Sea

Lorelei of the Sea Unspeakable

Kolskit- Dumbledore said that only someone loyal to him could have called Fawkes to the chamber. I attributed that to a familiar bond of sorts more than to some Phoenix power. I think that it was the desperation Harry was feeling and the loyalty that called Fawkes.

Also, I don't think that Fawkes would freak out if he sensed that Harry didn't like Dumbledore- he's a headmaster, people are bound to hate him.

Also, you can bypass all this with the Natural Occlumency Shield of Doom.

2. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

Also, don't forget that there have been several cases where people who were not pure of heart and had ill intent toward Dumbledore were around Fawkes without him flipping out.

Examples include: Snape, Umbridge, Fudge, Dawlish, and Lucius Malfoy just to name a few off the top of my head.

3. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well then, as their is no Fawkes problem and only a fool would add in a problem that isn't canon, how about you take up this story, Kender? Come on, I want to see it writen well and I'm not the one to do it.

4. KenderCleric

I may, but it'll be a while before I get around to it. Legacy and Return are my front burner stories for now with Potter's 11 coming close behind. Then there's Sixth Sigil and Last Lord....I might take this challenge up before Sixth and Last just for a break, but no promises.

5. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

What kind of life-changing event is going to realistically cause an 11 year old child to become the scheming, duplicitous, camouflaged evil that you're looking for?

Perhaps if he was forced to watch while his beloved aunt and uncle were tortured, killed and eaten by vengeful dark wizards... Or some horrific miscarriage of justice by light wizards/ministry. Whatever it is, it should be monumental. And scarring. Gotta give our evil hero some foibles.

But why have Harry evil before Hogwarts. Surely it would be easier to turn him AFTER he's sorted into Griffindor and legitimately earned some kind of 'good guy' status. Anakin wasn't an evil bastard before he joined the jedi. He was turned later.

It shouldn't be too hard to fill Harry's heads with doubts about blindly following the light and rejecting the dark. My thoughts turn to Barty Crouch Jr, diary-Voldemort, or even a secretly evil Sirius (perhaps always dark, or only post-Azkaban) as possible corruptors/mentors/manipulators of Harry.

Conveniently, all of them are dealt with in canon before they could solidify a hold over Harry.

I'd definitely want to see one or more of Harry's friends and peers investigate him.

Too specific? Ah, well. Any of these ideas are free to use.

Yak.

6. Snarf

High Score:
    The problem is, if Harry is a goody-goody in the beginning and changed like Anakin, he would be the same retard that came into Hogwarts in canon and would only be a mediocre student.

I want him to show his worth to the teachers, get in their good graces as he manipulates his peers into loyal followers like Tom Riddle did, but also do one thing that Riddle never thought to do. Keep the one man who could stop him completely oblivious and trusting by going into the house he was expected to go in; by being the kind, sweet boy he was expected to be; and by helping others in need like any true Gryffindor.

On the 'what kind of life changing even could make him go dark', I would usually leave that up to the author's own brain power. It would be a large milestone, but even the cliched 'abusive fanon Dursleys' would give this thought process a chance to occur. I just don't think that he should start his plans after school begins. He may earn his 'good guy status' by legit means, but he wouldn't earn the companionship of one Albus Dumbledore, which is a vital point to this story.

You can even add in the Deathly Hallows as Dumbledore would find it amazing to be conversing with another being of his own power and intellect on the three items that could keep one from death. Harry, as a dark wizard underneath, would find them appealing and it could definitely be a side story or even the main plot of the story.

7. Lorelei of the Sea

Lorelei of the Sea Unspeakable

... Maybe Harry could wander into Knockturn Alley (spl) and see something dark and traumatic and evil? I think pretty much anything is better then Dursley abuse, although him beating up Harry with a pink boa would be funny.

8. KenderCleric

When Harry began school he was excited at the thought of finally being around others his age beside his cousin. Sadly that dream was short lived thanks to Dudley's bullying. This remained the case until Harry was 9. That year a new student moved to Little Whinging that didn't care about the bullying and became Harry's friend.

A year later Harry's new friend visited Harry at home during the summer. While the two boys played in the back yard Vernon came home to find the front window of the home broken. Naturally he assumed it was Harry and quickly went looking for Harry. When he discovered the strange boy he decided that any friend of the freaks was obviously even worse. He blamed the window on the boy and decided to call the police. Harry's friend ran from the backyard in a panic. Harry chased over him only to witness a passing car run over his friend as he ran out into the street.

Harry blamed his Uncle for the death and from that day forward he let his anger and hatred of the man fester. When he discovered he was a wizard, and supposed hero, he saw the means to achieve the revenge he so desperately wanted.

Thar ya go

9. Snarf

High Score:
    I like the little 'thar ya go' at the end, Kender. And after all that time I've spent reading over your plot bunnies *sniff*. If you want to make that the reason, as you will write this story, I'll be all for it.