1. The second prompt is revealed! (Q2 2018)

"Breaking into Snape's office in the middle of the night was a risky move at the best of times..."

Deadline is June 18th, also known as the 22nd Anniversary of a seriously sad day—a tremendously black day for anyone.

As with before you can check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum.

Dismiss Notice

Culinary Cheap/Drunk Eats

Discussion in 'The Burrow' started by thoriyan, Sep 12, 2017.

1. thoriyan

thoriyan Slug Club Member

Thought a thread about college/drunk eats might be fun. It's like the cheap and healthy thread minus the healthy bit :)

I'll start off with my go-to: ramen carbonara.

One package of instant noodles (preferably Shin Ramyun)
    Hot water
    One egg
    Oil

Cover the noodles and dried vegetables (if any) with hot water and soak until soft, then strain out the noodles. Save seasoning packet until later.

Add oil to pan and heat on medium-high heat. Add strained noodles and veg. This should sizzle and the noodles should start getting crispy on the bottom. Sprinkle HALF of the seasoning packet on top of the noodles and mix it in. Turn off the heat and crack one (or two) eggs onto the noodles, and stir vigorously again, coating the seasoned noodles with the egg. Dump in bowl and stuff in face.

Some of the egg will scramble if it hits the bottom of the pan - I think this is OK but if you don't, add the egg after you take the noodles out of the pan.

I enjoy mixing in minced garlic, bacon bits, Parmesan cheese, or whatever leftovers are available with this recipe but often just have the egg and ramen.

2. Blinker

Blinker Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

Made a dal today for the first time (it's an Indian lentil stew) that is definitely going to be made again and again.

It does take a while but is simple, cheap, and delicious. It makes enough for at least 5-6 portions and is going to stop me leaking money on ready meals.

500g Black Lentils
    Three onions
    Bulb of garlic
    A couple of inches of ginger
    6 tablespoons of tomato puree
    2 teaspoons of salt
    1 teaspoon of chilli powder
    60g butter
    500 ml whole milk

1. Soak the lentils in water for at least a few hours, but ideally overnight (and leave space, they get bigger!)
    2. Drain and rinse them, then put them onto boil for about 45 minutes
    3. Slice up the onions, garlic and ginger, then fry them in the butter while the lentils are boiling. The onions will need a while to caramelise so can stand to be on for a bit before the other ingredients, but really all three can go for ages provided you don't burn them.
    4. After the 45 minutes mix the salt, tomato puree and chilli powder into the frying pan.
    5. The lentils should be pretty soft at this point (not mushy but don't really resist crushing), drain any water away that is above the level of the lentils, then add the fried stuff and the milk.
    6. Bring it all to the boil, then simmer for 90 minutes, stirring every once in a while. If it dries out, add more milk and water (in a 50/50 split). If it's not thick enough give it more time.

It's bloody delicious, and the whole thing set me back about £4 for 6 meals.

3. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

If I'm dead on my ass drunk and just need to lean on the counter while something cooks, and then fill up my stomach before I go to sleep, I make rotini pasta (boil for ~4 minutes) then mix in some olive oil and ground basil and garlic and a pretty decent amount of salt and pepper.

4. pbluekan

pbluekan Professor DLP Supporter

The Greeeasy Egg Sandwich:

What you'll need:

2 eggs
    4 breakfast sausage links (the mapely kind)
    1/4 sweet onion - diced
    Shrooms
    Asparagus or some spinach
    Olive Oil
    Bread, preferably the healthy kind
    1. Scramble the eggs. Whip 'me good.
    2. Cook the eggs. Try and end with a "patty" in the shape of your bread.
    3. Put that shit under a paper towel in the microwave to stay warm.
    4. Cook the sausage, and put her with the eggs.
    5. Use the sausage pan and add a bit of olive oil and drop in some chopped asparagus, then the onions after a minute or two, and then the shrooms once the onions wilt and carmelize. (If you're using spinach, don't put it in the sautee pan. It will turn to mush and Popeye won't be happy.)
    6. Sautee that shit.
    7. Toast your bread.
    8. Put everything together, veggies, oil and all.
    9. Feel happy.
    It's nearly impossible to fuck up. You can overcook nearly everything and it will taste just fine.

5. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Literally done this exact same thing. Occasionally would dump a spoonful of concentrated curry paste and a splash of milk when craving some extra flavor.

6. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If I'm drunk and I want quick easy food, I make like Beef Stroganoff. Best shit ever.
    It's pretty much Hamburger Helper, but it's not from a box.

When I was younger I'd do some Cheeseburger Mac and Cheese, or Enchilada in a bowl, where you just take an enchilada insides and throw it over top of some rice, add extra cheese.

Or, my favorite, a ravioli burrito. Take a can of Chef Ravioli, and put it in a burrito, add taco seasoning.

7. Xiph0

Took leftover ham, shredded it up by hand, put it in a flat pan, mixed it around by hand as it heated up because I don't feel like washing a spatula, poured it into a metal bowl and added sour cream, sauerkraut, black pepper, and cubes of cheddar cheese. Mixed it up, eating it now. Delicious.

8. CareOtters

CareOtters Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Had a bunch of frozen broccoli lying around. Got home after a hard day of drinking at the office, microwaved it for five minutes, chopped it up into little pieces, mixed it with cheese, pepper, garlic, and a light dusting of seasonings. Added a tablespoon of flour and an egg for good measure, mixed it good and smushed it into little balls. Fried for a few minutes until tasty.

9. CareOtters

[​IMG]

This pretty much sums it up.

Although while eating cheese from the bag I also rolled some leftover chorizo, potatoes and roast shallots in the cheese until fully coated. wrapped them in strips of pastry I had in the fridge and fried them. In sesame oil, which was a moonshine-induced accident, but a damn happy accident.

10. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Holy blubbering tits! I made the best chili mac of my life tonight on about 8 dollars worth of mostly preserved/packaged ingredients.

1 blue box mac and cheese
    1 can of ready to eat hormel beef chili
    1 can diced tomatoes
    Handful of skim shredded chedder
    1 onion
    1/4th cup skim milk
    2 tbsp chipotle chili powder
    1 tbsp Mccormick southwest seasoning

1. Boil water. Boil pasta as box instructs.
    2. Sautee diced onion in oil and a tbsp chipotle powder.
    3. Drain pasta. Dump back into pan.
    4. Add 3-4 tbsp oil, another tbsp chipotle, southwest seasoning, milk, packaged cheese powder, and shredded cheese. Mix with pasta. Maybe add a little water until cheese sauce is to desired melty/creamyness.
    5. Dump in onions, drained tomatoes, and chili. Mix and reheat.

Oh. My. God. So. Fucking. Tasty.

11. Xiph0

That sounds fucking great haha. I'll throw in also that I'm partial to fried chicken when I'm tipsy. I usually will use (boneless/skinless) chicken thigh, I'll slice it into wide thin pieces (slice through the side, not like you're making strips), put it in bread crumb/egg/bread crumb and then fry it in hot lard. Pretty damn good.

12. Nevermind

Nevermind Fifth Year

High Score:
    Slightly weird probably, but when I know that I‘m going to get more than slightly drunk, but (hopefully) not quite shitfaced, I tend to prepare the "James May‘s Unemployment Tube" Carbonara the day before. When I get home I eat it straight out of the fridge. Hits the sweet spot between gross (coldness) and delicious (taste and consistency). I am particularly gracious with the parmesan.

Link for Part One

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is very much under the drunk eats category.

I've recently rediscovered my love for dumping stuff into instant grits. If you can boil water or use a microwave while plastered, you can have a filling meal that will readily soak up alcohol still in your gut/stomach and slow absorption into your bloodstream.

My favorite combos so far:

Spicy Cheese Grits- Parmesan, Frank's Red Hot, and spicy salami/pepperoni chunks

Loaded Grits- Bacon, cheddar, sour cream, and shallots/chives

Chili Grits- ground turkey/beef chili, black beans, and cheddar

Steakhouse Grits- diced steak, worcestershire, and A-1

14. Zombie

High Score:
    Change grits with hominy or polenta and you'd be fine dining.

15. CareOtters

I'm a big fan of doing this, pouring it into a muffin tin, and then baking up some zero-effort savoury muffins.. Pulled pork and beans was my favourite ingredient combo.

16. Xiph0

This feels most like a drunk or a cheap meal, but I've been eating this for a few meals now and it's really pretty great:

I get some penne rigate pasta boiling, any pasta probably works fine. I fry some diced up bacon and diced chicken in olive oil while the pasta boils, making sure everything gets slightly brown. I add in some minced garlic (the more the better), strain the pasta and throw it in with the bacon/chicken/garlic. Grate parmesan on top, add a little salt if it's lacking, add more pepper and it's just fantastic.

17. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Used to do this as a kid with the canned chicken. Good, solid poor people food. Add egg for carbonara version. :D

18. Zombie

High Score:
    He pretty much made ghetto carbonara.