1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Chess.

Discussion in 'Flash and Spam Games' started by Eidolonic, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

@World

Yeah, I managed to get into IRC again using the plain IRC client. I used to simply use the java based link for conveniences sake, but, meh.

@Schrodinger

I played, and won, my share of tournaments back in High School, but I don't have an official rating. It's ELO based, right? I was pretty good, just might be a little out of practice.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  2. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

When I was at school nobody could beat me, but that really Isn't saying much and my game probably suffered because of it. My grandfather however was a chess grandmaster or something and routinely destroyed me even as he was going senile.

I ran the chess club for a few years and we won a bunch of local tournaments but I've never tried on-line chess.

3. Eidolonic

4. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I could be pretty keen for Chess. I haven't played since school, but I won what competition thing we had there.

I'm probably absolutely terrible at it now however.

5. Eidolonic

6. Eidolonic

Anyone for a game or few? Send me a PM, or respond in this thread, and we can set up a game. I'll be on for 5-6 hours yet probably, poking at some stuff.

7. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I'm on if you are.

8. Eidolonic

Sent PM with room info and whatnot.

9. Eidolonic

Massive ass necro, because it's my thread, and I'd just have made another one. I've been bitten by the bug again, and have the desire to play. Poke me on IRC, PM me, or respond in this thread, and I'm almost always up for a game. Including right now, I be bored.

10. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    since it's necro'd, I'm really bad at chess because I fall apart at midgame. any suggestions for ways to bone up on my skills before playing people? I'm thinking about playing 2 games a day on windows til I can reach the next difficulty level.

11. Eidolonic

I honestly just suggest playing randoms to improve midgame. Stay structured, stay focused, and don't overreact to people doing stupid shit, while still taking advantage of it.

12. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

Besides just picking up a good chess book, there are a couple of ways you could easily improve your game:

1) I don't know what your rating is, but firstly play on FICS. It's roughly comparable, imo, to real world rating, and understanding where you are if the first step in the process of improving upon it.

2) Assuming you are below 1500, and don't really want to spend hours and hours looking through games, do a couple of things: play on a site that records your games (chesscube, pc client for FICS).

2) Go through your games; and better yet, get an engine to go through them for you. Pretty much every engine out there is going to be better than you, if not handicapped, so it really doesn't matter which.

3) Utilize what you learn - and correct. If you find yourself playing the same set of openings - ray, dragon, whatever - change, and mix. At this level you should just familiarize yourself with the various middle games that specific openings give rise to and the easiest way to do that is via playing them.

4) Lastly: Pawns are far more important than you probably think.

2a) If you're above 1500, and aren't improving, I'd suggest serious study. But then, I'm pretty much of comparable strength and dead in the water, so there might be other ways, too.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  13. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I love chess, while not being overly good at it. I'd be up for a few games.

14. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Wow, I dont think I've played since I posted here last o_O

15. Eidolonic

I hadn't either, heh. Got a few games in today, wouldn't object to playing a couple more, if people are around. Just throw a PM up, or poke me on IRC.

16. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    God, yeah, the last time I played chess was when I got destroyed by you there Eidolonic.

I never actually learnt how to play chess per se, and considering i've been playing a lot of Starcraft 2 lately, I don't know if i want to try and learn another strategy game.

17. Eidolonic

And, done with work for the day. Been playing some randoms, but it's less fun when they refuse to say a word, and you don't know them. Anyone up for a game or few?

18. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd be keen for a game or three when I've got some spare time, bearing in mind that I haven't played anyone for a couple of years now.

19. Eidolonic

Sure. Just PM me if/when you are interested - you'll need a Yahoo ID, and a reasonably new version of Java. I'll toss you a link to whatever room I'm in, should take you directly there.

20. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

Yep, just over 1800. Reached it when I was twelve and didn't improve much since... :)

I'm always up for a game.

Midgame is the most complex part of the game, as you need to utilize both tactics and strategy. I find that most people put too much weight on tactics, something that won't make you win consistently. You need to figure out how roughly you want the board to look like in 10 moves, how do you make your pieces work together for the same goal, what does your opponent plan... I know this isn't the most practical advice, but it will guide you no matter what level of chess you play.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012