1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Children of an Elder God by John Biles Rod M. - Evangelion/Cthulu Mythos

Discussion in 'Evangelion' started by Scott, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

Title: Children of an Elder God
    Author: John Biles Rod M.
    Rating: T
    Pairing: Unknown
    Chapters: 23 + 1 chapter posted on Spacebattles.
    Updated: May 10, 2010

Summary: "Children of an Elder God", a Neon Genesis Evangelion - H.P. Lovecraft's myths' fusion, by John Biles and Rod M.

Link: http://www.thekeep.org/~rpm/eva/coaeg.html
    Links to the last two parts (chapter 24):
    http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/children-of-an-elder-god-24-partial-draft.156600/
    http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/children-of-an-elder-god-chapter-24-draft-continues.165721/

I started reading it about a week ago and since Ive been really busy I only got around to reading to chapter 5. Anyways, it starts off the same as the show but quickly diverges from there, with the same and some new Angels. Characterization is good and the only flaw that I found is that they try to input some anime style comedy into their writing but it gets a laugh out of me so I guess it's not a flaw.

Checked by Minion, Nov. 25, 2012
    Thx to Kensington for links to the last Chapter.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012
  2. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

It's good. I'm a huge fan of Lovecraft, and love the way that the author managed to blend evangelion, the dream cycle, and the Cthulhu mythos.

My sole complaint is the emphasis on romance. I've only seen a few episodes of evangelion, but it didn't seem to be quite as...romancy. However, it doesn't really take away from the plot much.

I've only managed to read the first 9 chapters, but I like it so far.

4/5

EDIT: After reading through the 3 chapter Dreamlands arc, my rating has lowered. It didn't really fit with the story, nor did Asuke being the Red Knight in the dreamlands in an earlier part. It was cool with the slave trader, when trips into the dreamlands were isolated incidents, but the Dreamlands arc was shit.

Also, they overpowered the Elder gods WAY too much. In the actual mythos, they're impotent creations of man, ruled by the nearly omnipotent crawling chaos. As the author overpowered the gods of man, they underpowered tbe crawling chaos immensely. If you anger Nyarlathotep, you simply stop existing. For the most part, he's toying with people, but it seemed like he was being serious. He's the avatar of the outer gods, the most powerful beings in all of existence. One of them actually STARTED existence. (The blind idiot god, Azathoth) No mortal, or mortal god could ever pose a threat to an outer god.

3/5

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  3. Glernaj

Glernaj Stab Executive DLP Supporter

It's an excellent story, but it's not complete, and may never be completed, so that tag needs to be changed.

4. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Actually the Author recently posted the rough draft for the final chapter on another website about a few weeks ago.

5. ketz3r

ketz3r Second Year

Chapter 24

Good story, spider-crying Shinji freaked me out though.

6. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It's finished? Wow. I've been reading this since 1999 (the first chapter was released in 1998 on r.a.a.c).

It's a favourite of mine, but it's been in my /fanfic/dead category for many years now. The 2004 update was unexpected, but this coming 5 years later? Merry fucking Christmas! :)

7. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I don't know; if that was the end, then it was a bit of a disappointment.
    We don't get to see anything of what the world is like after the battle with Cthulu. All we see is that Yui apparently gets to somehow come back to life and rule the world, or something.

8. yak

It's only 1/3 of the final chapter.

I had another "no wai!" moment reading the comments on the chapter 24 thread. Apparently Krista Perry has finally finished Hearts of Ice which was started at least as far back as 1997. Good gods. That's another old epic on my fanfic/dead/ list.

The Zombie Fanfics Arise!

9. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I know what you mean. This has been my favorite Evangelion story for a while; it's great that it isn't quite as dead as I though it was.

10. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Time to bump for great justice!

I just discovered that the conclusion to this story was posted here and here last May.

Most fitting in my opinion. This was always one of my favorite Evangelion stories - and the ending just hit the right notes for me. It is funny to realize though that I started to read this back in '99, to only find and read the end in '11.

5/5.

11. yak

Kensington; you da' man.

I checked for the final part of COAEG last year, but never found it. I'm glad to see its finally up, even as a draft.

To re-read the series, or not to re-read the series... that is the question.

12. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

I'm shocked and appalled that I missed this; it's tied with Shinji & 40k for the title of 'best story' in the Eva fandom, at least in my opinion. Thanks for raising this thread from the dead, Kensington.

13. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

A second archive with entirety of this story, so you don't have to jum through SpaceBattles.

14. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Hey, does anyone know if this is still hosted anywhere?

15. Jarsha

Jarsha Seventh Year