1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Clean install of Windows, looking for software advice

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Another Empty Frame, Jun 5, 2016.

1. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

First step would be to try different browsers. See if you can isolate the problem to that.
    Then, if the problem still exists, you can try updating your drivers. There is no decent program that (that I know of) that will automatically update drivers, but if you open the run utility, enter dxdiag, and go to the display tab, there should be the exact model of gpu that you have. Google should take care of you from there. Most drivers come in pretty simple .exe installs, just make sure you get the correct bitrate for your system (also readily accessible in the dxdiag utility, under the system tab).

2. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Considering my specs, and the fact that I'm using Chrome (although I have a number of extensions, does that bloat these things?)

What browser do people suggest for the least overhead (almost positive that's the right word)

3. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

Firefox, internet explorer, doesn't really matter. The idea right now is to see if it's Chrome causing the issue. And if it is, then it should be as easy as reinstalling Chrome.

4. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Extensions shouldn't hog so much, unless they're outdated and shitting their pants. If I were you I'd first check Chrome advanced settings under System to see if Hardware Acceleration is enabled. It's quick and easy, so it's a good place to start. If it isn't enabled, enable it.

Next I'd install SpeedFan or some other program you prefer to monitor temperatures of mobo and CPU. It's possible that your fan is malfunctioning or that the heatsink is too dirty. If you feel comfortable opening up the laptop this should also be pretty easy to check. High temperatures can increase CPU usage.

Only after checking those two I'd check the mobo driver (full chipset). Windows should automatically update that for you but for some mobos it's better to get them directly from the manufacturer. Then again, this being a laptop i'm not sure how much of a difference it'll make. I only had this problem on a desktop and a driver reinstall did the trick.

Let us know how things go. I remember doing a bunch of googling for this and it seemed to be a really common problem.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  5. Morphe

Morphe Squib

High Score:
    Antivirus is a tough question, I guess it depends on your computer really, I mean most modern computers can deal with antivirus resource hogging. Personally I have always gone for avast but mostly because I like the UI.
    Yes, it's a stupid reason to choose an antivirus for but, hey I'm pretty superficial.