1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Building Things!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Ched, Jan 12, 2011.

1. coleam

coleam Death Eater

First of all, it's generally polite to start your own thread rather than hijacking someone else's.

As for advice, I'd hold off until Sandy Bridge stuff becomes available again (should be just a couple more weeks). The i7-2600 will beat the i7-950 any day of the week (it's even topped the i7-980x in some things) and costs less (counting the motherboard; x58 mobos are pricey). If you do decide to stick with the x58 build, you'll need different RAM. The x58 platform uses triple channel memory (3 sticks instead of two). Also, I would personally recommend not relying entirely on the SSD. Hard drives are cheap (1 TB is typically around $70) and the extra peace of mind is nice. Keep in mind that SSDs are getting a refresh very soon (within the next month or so) to a faster controller interface that can actually take advantage of the 6GB/s SATA connections.

Other than that, it looks like a solid (if overkill) build. If it fits your budget I guess...

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'd second Coleam about waiting for Sandy Bridge. That's what I had originally wanted to do but I needed a computer before the end of February if at all possible. If you swap to Sandy Bridge then you should save enough money with the CPU/Mobo to pick up a cheap hard drive to go with your SSD -- I'd suggest the Samsung Spinpoint F3/F4. Also as he said the SSD drives are getting refreshed soon. The SSD you link to is a SATA II drive but there are already SATA III options out there with more to come soon (Crucial C300 for example).

Summary if you can wait a few weeks you'll be better off, but if you can't wait then you want a triple channel memory pack like this (or a 3x 4GB pack) to go with your CPU/Mobo.

But yeah, man, you can start a new thread if you want more input and tell us what you are using this for, what your budget is, etc. I did a ton of reading about stuff in the last month or so and there's more places you can save money, but I don't know what you need this for.

Cheers

3. Lokesin

Lokesin Slug Club Member

Thanks for the notes about Sandy Bridge and the RAM, I'd missed the triple channel memory. I'm planning on using this for gaming primarily, going to do everything else on my old computer to keep anything from getting cluttered up.

As for hijacking the thread, to my understanding, it's generally considered even more impolite to start a new thread when a topic with the very sort of thing you're posting about is not only on the first page, but is on the top of the sub-forum. I had intentionally waited until it looked like CheddarTrek had everything he needed from the thread, as well.

As for Budget, my upper limit is about $2100 for the new rig.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

From what I understand the 2600k is a very minor upgrade over the 2500k for gaming, and you'd save some money there. It's awesome to have that budget but no reason to spend money for upgrades you won't notice!