1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Desks

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by yojorocks, Sep 3, 2014.

1. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

Well, the long and short of it is that I need a new desk, and was thinking about either building or modifying a cheaper ikea-like desk; I kind of, um, borrowed my sister's desk when she graduated college, and now she wants it back. That said, I went to the local Staples, Office Max, and Value City Furniture, and they had pretty much either shit construction or way, way overpriced personal office stuff that cost $800+.

Does anyone have any good recommendations on websites that will do step by step instructions on building something, or straight up sell decent gaming style desks? I don't exactly have the room or budget for an executive oak finish desk, but was looking for something nicer than ply board that is fairly sturdy, has a wide and deep surface, and doesn't have any drawers or other keyboard tray like crap underneath it. I have a hand planer, table router, and CMS if someone knows of a good DIY site, but I'd be just as willing to buy and assemble something if anyone has any recommendations.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Is there an IKEA near you? Their stuff isn't super awesome, but the quality and price are decent enough if you're on a budget.

I do not know a good DIY site off hand.

3. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Keyboard trays are easy enough to remove. Draws might be part of a desk's structural integrity though.

I'd look at second hand desks. It sounds like you have the gear to re-surface one if you need to.