1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Control by Anonymous58 - M

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by Andro, Apr 13, 2010.

1. hexokinase

hexokinase Banned

Words don't equal actions. He threatened, but they were empty threats anyways. HP is merely eccentric not crazy like Bella. Everything he has done after azkaban - or almost everything including cutting off elf's head - is acceptable in that society by the powers in charge, and the things that aren't acceptable well Hermione didn't know she was being mind raped so how is that OPENLY crazy?

Btw my point was crouch wanting to arrest hp for the dark magic, and would have done so had not AD intervened, which AD wouldnt have done if he thought HP was crazy enough to be a threat to other students. Arguing with you is fun vincent. Have a kitkat and a thumbs up.

back to relic:
    If this statement is true (and imo it isn't b/c ppl do all sorts of things out of necessity, fear, etc) then HP by definition isn't openly crazy because daphne has alligned with hp and follows him, as does davis and zabini. Im sure when he starts his recruitment campaign, with the proper advertising and public relations experts, he will have quite the cohort of troops :D

Great point, agreed 100%
    The wizarding world is a bit backward and medieval, both in politics and in lower level details and traditions such as using quills.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  2. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

No, his threat against Draco was likely empty. He was entirely serious with Tracy. Also Granger isn't that retarded. She was twitching on the floor after what Harry did and felt the effects for three days. She clearly knew he did it because she confronted her about it.

Albus would have intervened because like I said he thinks Harry has something to do with the prophecy and doesn't want England enslaved by Voldemort. Albus has already called Harry on being a threat to the other students via randomly attacking Dementors(an act of craziness).

Anyway the way Harry shows his craziness is by overreacting to everything. Breaking your arm over a desk is crazy. Threatening to kill someone for being a small annoyance is crazy.

3. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Murdering annoyances isn't crazy.

4. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

It is when you have no intention of getting away with it and know you'll be sent straight to Azkaban.

5. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Note to self: Never go to a meetup with Luckylee.

6. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

Huh? At least now you know what you can expect from him. It's the ones who appear to be normal, upstanding citizens that you should be scared of.

7. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    But Lungs were literally minutes away :awesome

8. hexokinase

hexokinase Banned

Albus intervenes on HPs behalf not because he doesn't want England enslaved by Voldemort - at this stage, Voldemort is merely a shade. I suspect the full reasons are simply not known at this juncture, but we know the prophecy plays a significant role because HP discovered one of the lines with his mental attack on AD at the trial.

Albus did recognize what HP did to the dementor by the lake a rash act, but accepted HP's defense - they would have had enough time to run away.

Not only this, but HP saved pansy from dementor, winning kudos from AD and certain measure of trust. Craziness is irrational; this is rational.

Hermione knows HP was the one who 'attacked' her. What she doesn't know is the nature of the attack, more specifically that it was illegal. HP's irrationality and overtly emotional behavior has not been fully recognized. For example, as you mentioned, the audience didn't know HP was employing the killing curse and assumed the green light was HP showing house spirit. Note that hermione hasnt told anyone, presumably.

HP may have been on the verge of cursing Tracy, but I argue that were he truly serious about doing so, he would have done it without the talk. HP is not naturally a talkative person. His actions to Tracy were easily diverted by the intervention of Daphne. Yes it was a dangerous threat, but I fail to see that it had any substance behind it. Only textual evidence will convince me otherwise. Note that this scene occured in relative privacy.

I do not contest hp has mental issues. Merely that they are not so open as you think they are. A useful measure for this debate would be how the press views him now, after finishing the first task so splendidly. Do they hate him... or have they found their new hero for the day? If the latter, then my theory about hp playing a role on the political arena might be validated.

Furthermore in the arm breakage scene he was frustrated and confused at why his magic wouldnt work... perhaps some might consider it an over reaction, others might see it as a healthy experiment. he can control the pain through occlumency. he can - if he fails epiksky charm - go to the hospital wing to get it fixed. the consequences for this behavior is trivial at best. This is the definition of eccentricity - behavior percieved to be strange and perplexing by others, but perfectly logical, rational, reasonable by the one doing it

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  9. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

What happens at this stage is irrelevant as we know Albus plans further than what's currently happening. Harry's craziness is not as bad as Voldemort taking over thus he gets Harry out.

Albus accepted that Harry may be right. Harry assumes that his friends would have left because they don't actually care about him. We know that he's wrong as far as Daphne is concerned.

What manner of attack Harry used against Granger is largely irrelevant. He still attacked her for no good reason. It's also irrelevant if Granger told anyone. I was addressing whether she'd leave him with her stuff.

He was clearly serious about cursing Tracy because he we see that he lost control given his thoughts. We then see him lying about just shutting her up to Daphne later on. There's no sense in drawing distinction between being on the verge of cursing her and being truly serious. It was also in front of a small crowd so there was nothing private about it.

We both know Harry has no intention of going to the Hospital Wing to heal anything that isn't immediately life threatening. I bet he'd sooner go to the library with the broken arm and research ways to fix it himself than to willing go to the hospital wing.
    The next scene starts with Zabini informing him that he's mental. Clearly he thinks he's crazy and I doubt he's the only one.

10. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    I'm not quire sure why everyone is still commenting on Harry's sanity. I thought we agreed that it's not Harry's sanity the problem, but rather his problem dealing with what comes when you use Dark magic.

Basically we've got a kid high on his use of Dark magic, that literally makes him feel like a god among his piers and even the adults. Not the type of a growing sociopath who goes around and tortures animals for fun.

11. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

I'd just say that the Dark magic is affecting his sanity.

Anyway the root of it is whatshisface talking about politicians backing Harry and Relic said people don't like to back openly crazy.

12. hexokinase

hexokinase Banned

Acting crazy in front of Hogwarts students isn't that big of a deal on the political arena, b/c the foreign dignitaries won't be investigating such and such. Really the only exposure they have to HP is at the first task and the newspapers. A cunning politician could use HPs display of power to his advantage, boast about Hogwarts and Britain and ram treaty after treaty down the other guys' throats. This depends on the ohter parties' opinions about dark arts, and some regard it highly favorably.

Its not really about backing hp at all, or interacting with HP in anyway more as it is about using HPs display to give the illusion that all hogwarts students and britains wizards are super powerful.

of course neville longbottom ruins everything......

also about that quote you brought up.... doesn't exclude rationality. we humans are not at the ends of the spectrum of madness and sanity.... we ossicilate or sometimes go near one end or near the other.

the tri wiz tourn like the olympics has its own unique political aspects... though if you extend this metaphor far enough it will break

13. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This starts out ok, and rapidly gets worse. 2/5

14. hexokinase

hexokinase Banned

Your vague, generic and useless review started off ok and rapidly got worse. 2/5

15. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'll start off by telling you go die in a hole, and then move on to say that this story isn't worth giving a detailed review on. Its not worth it. Its not worth reading. If you can get past the first chapter, then you'll probably enjoy the next couple, and then you'll realise you've been wasting your time because the author is terrible and storyline is shite.

16. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Too bad. Don't rate it if you don't plan to explain in good detail why you chose to do so.

What turned you away from it? What was wrong with the characters, setting, pacing, or grammar that was so hideous that you felt it deserved a 2 out of 5?

17. hexokinase

hexokinase Banned

I partly disagree with this because the Dursleys would have feared repercussions anyways. Unless they planned on killing HP before he grew up into an adult wizard, they would have been scared HP would take revenge eventually and wouldn't have treated him with such a degree of physical abuse. That said, we have to suspend our disbelief because in this story the Dursleys are just plain nuts, well more nuts than in JKR's world anyways.

But your suggestion has merit. Good job boy, have a doggie biscuit. :)

18. El Duderino

El Duderino Groundskeeper

This is pointlessly patronizing.

19. hexokinase

hexokinase Banned

It's hard to convey love and affection over the internet.

20. Lukaskr

Lukaskr Fourth Year

Weird that you can so easily display retardation, though.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011