1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

Cycling

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Oz, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Oz

Oz Heir to Hogwarts Moderator DLP Supporter

I can't be the only person who enjoys cycling here, so to avoid cluttering the TOMD thread up more, making a new thread.

Whether you're into weekend Sportives, 1,000 mile Audax events, touring the countryside, cross country mountain biking or just commuting to work, feel free to chip in.

All cycling discussion about cycling, gear, training, etc. welcome.

To kick it off, posting stats from last Sunday's sportive, the Wicklow 200.

Unfortunately only managed 180km before getting a major puncture and losing the will to live. Very disappointed Strava link.

Relive video.

The carnage:

[​IMG]

The route:

[​IMG]

Weather could have been better. Very heavy showers throughout the day, but it never go too cold, and they were less frequent as the day wore on.

From the 40km to the 100km mark was pretty tough. Headwinds the entire way, and I was riding solo so no one to break the wind for me.

Fucked up my nutrition coming up to those two mountains just before and after the 120km mark and completely bonked near the top of the first. The second was a real struggle and I averaged about walking pace going up it.

After that, the flapjacks and energy gels I'd scoffed before and on the way up started to do their work and I managed to get back into my stride until that puncture at the end. That completely finished it for me mentally so I bought an ice cream and scabbed a lift home. :)

Moving time: 9:41:29
    Elapsed time: 11:38:02
    Average speed: 18.3km/h.
    Max speed: 59km/h.
    Elevation gain: 2,787m.
    Elevation loss: 2,804m.
    Average temperature: 10.4C
    Min temperature: 7.0C
    Max temperature: 17.0C

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  2. Peteks

Peteks Unspeakable

I bike 35km to and from work for the summer. My bike is older than me, but in good condition. What I've noticed in the last month is that I'm shedding weight without even trying just due to the amount of biking. I've also got noticeably faster on my commute.

Great summer hobby, I'll be following this thread with interest.

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    So, a couple weeks after getting back on the bike my ass is hurting less and over the last week I've added about 2km to the evening ride. Still feel like spitting out my lungs going up any kind of tiny slope, but where I live you have to take the slopes up with the ones you get to speed down from. Legs continue burning during the ride, but I think I've noticed faster recovery. And the old adage about feeling good after a workout is true, whether you think that's a good or bad thing. Music helps. Summer heat does not.

Will keep posting updates. Props to Ozzeh, cool thread bro.

4. Oz

How's it going Scott? Hope you're still cycling. :p

Bar a few 20k spins and commuting in and out of work I haven't been too active on the bike, but planning on taking part in a 300km Auduax my cycling club are running this Sunday which should be equal parts fun and miserable. https://www.strava.com/routes/9448041

In other news, simulataneously prepping for the marathon this year, starting at a much higher level than I expected thanks to all the cycling. Bar getting a stitch in my side, I feel like I can just keep going.

5. ScottPress

High Score:
    Ugh, I started the new job and it's kicking my ass. Taking a break, but I have Wednesday and Thursday free this week, so I'll try to do a bigger lap around the parts of the city I don't know yet. But yeah, daily cycling is over for the foreseeable future. I'm not abandoning it though.

6. why?

why? First Year

High Score:
    Regular cycling did a number on my knees. I suspect that might have been due to my using too small a bicycle, and already having poor mobility. Regular use of a foam roller and lacrosse ball have been helping a lot.

I'd suggest anyone doing sports regularly to look into myofascial release if they don't do it already. It's also made me stronger (in strength movements), and improved my posture a lot.

7. Oz

Worth noting that it's akin to acupuncture in that there's very little if any rigorous scientific evidence that it works as anything more than a placebo as far as I can tell.

8. why?

why? First Year

High Score:
    Maybe accupressure, not puncture.

Have you tried it?

It's been helpful for me.

Doing any type of horizontal pushing used to result in a lot of pain in the region of my left scapula, and both shoulders. My wrists have fairly limited mobility as well, which in turn, causes more pain in my forearms. Doctors said there was nothing wrong with me, but it still hurt like hell.

So, I gave those drills ago, and they worked for me. Push ups and bench presses became less and less painful, and I progressed a lot faster compared to before. My limited mobility also meant that all my pushing movements were primarily triceps dominated, and my chest never got noticeably bigger.

My back doesn't hurt as much, and my hips move a lot more freely. It turns out that the reason I couldn't swim or run properly was because of limited mobility. It takes a lot less effort to swim the same distance now.

Granted, it is only a part of my routine, and I suspect my results would be less noticeable if I practiced myofascial release exclusively. Luckily, there's no reason to not incorporate it with other things, such as stretching or yoga.

If anything, it feels a bit like receiving physiotherapy, except with a lot more mucking about.

edit:

Woah, Oz. That's some impressive distances!

9. Oz

I'm glad it works for you. Everyone's gonna find something that works for them, just pointing out there's not much scientific evidence of the benefits of it. I do find rolling a tennis ball under my feet helps if they cramp after a long run or cycle though.

In cycling news, Cavendish got absolutely destroyed in the sprint for the finish for today's stage of the tour, one of the most brutal crashes I've seen. Will try to find a clip.

The crash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWwIe7WzAeM
    Another angle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMHYSQZT8rc

e: They're saying he has a broken shoulder. Ouch.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  10. ScottPress

High Score:
    Oz

Links got copyright shanked.

11. Oz

Bleh, lame. Here. Much higher quality anyway. :3

57 km/h, ouch. Broken shoulder for Cavendish, and Sagan suspended from the rest of the tour.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  12. Oz

13. Oz

300km starting in one hour. :eek:

14. Oz

Completed in 12 hours 13 minutes. Ready for sleep now, will post more detailed stats tomorrow.

15. Oz

A few days later than I wanted to post this, but been pretty tired/busy since.

As I said before, I cycled my first 300km Audax this week. Audax (or Randonneuring) is a form a non-competitive long distance cycling event, typically starting from 200km, and running up to multi-day 1000km+ ones (famouse examples being the 1,200km Paris-Brest-Paris and the 1,400km London-Edinburgh-London).

The goal of an Audax is to pass through specific "control points" within specified time limits. Each rider has what's known as a Brevet card, which gets stamped or signed at each control point to verify they passed through within the time limit. The time limit is usually determined by specifying a minimum average speed, usually around 15km/h.

Sunday's Midlands 300km route:

[​IMG]

Elevation profile:

[​IMG]

Ireland for scale. :D

[​IMG]

6AM, about to head off.

[​IMG]

Second control point, 115km in, at the top of the only significant climb.

[​IMG]

Grabbing some dinner at the third control point, 175km in.

[​IMG]

Tired Oz.

[​IMG]

Some stats:

303,1 kilometres cycled.
    6,007 calories burned.
    1,870 metres climbed.
    12 hours, 13 minutes in the saddle.
    8 oat bars
    6 litres of water.
    4 bananas.
    1 sandwich.
    1 double cheeseburger meal.
    1 broken spoke.
    1 delicious victory beer.

Link to the Strava activity.

16. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Wow Oz ! Fair play to you man. That's some cycle ! You're looking good.

Keep it up.

17. The.Snorting.Hat

The.Snorting.Hat First Year

High Score:
    Nice going Mr. Oz! That's a lot of biking distance.

Funny story about me getting my current bike: Last year, there was a 'Clubs day' of sorts in my university. I was at the stall of my club, distributing awareness and snagging future minions when one of my friends dragged me to the university stall she was volunteering at. Apparently, they had a competition. Draw a doodle of yourself on a bike in Stockholm and win a bike (a secondhand one, but still, them bikes ain't cheap)

Now, I'm no artists but I can draw things pretty well by copying. Since this was drawing something new, I was a bit out of sorts. I took the page, and deciding to be adventurous, drew a stick figure doing a wheelie on a bicycle. Then I decided something that awesome deserved the boss sunglasses and a cape. Then tried adding some university buildings to show Stockholm. Then added clouds since it always rains in Stockholm. One thing led to another, and soon that page was filled with colourful ships, runestones, dragons, vikings, and what not.

The organizer liked my doodle so much that not only did I get the first choice in prize bikes, but she also kept my drawing to hang in her office.

18. Oz

200km Audax tomorrow. Haven't been cycling much of late due to marathon training, but tomorrow's event is pretty flat so should be simple enough. Weather's looking a bit dodgy though. <_<