1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete D.S.S. Requirement by esama - T - HP/Stargate

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by gbbz, Mar 12, 2015.

1. gbbz

gbbz Professor

Title: D.S.S. Requirement
    Author: esama
    Rating: T
    Genre: Crossover-ish
    Words: 30,914
    Pairings: None so far
    Summary: The Dumbledore's Army use the Room of the Requirement to get themselves a spaceship.
    Link: AO3

Now this was interesting. Basically Lee Jordan tries to test the RoR and gets on-board what appears to be an Asgard spaceship. This quickly leads to all of the DA experimenting with and exploring the vessel. They eventually figure out how to make the ship work and that's it, mostly. Harry's the Captain of course and it seems that everyone has a role so far, even Marietta and Zacharias. It ends at the end of the year. Though be warned there is very little of the original OotP in this story, it mostly deals with space.

As the author put it: "This is basically me going "ooo space" for 10 chapters so there won't be much of a plot or point, just space stuff. Because I want just space stuff right now." I think it sums up the fic nicely.

I enjoyed exploring the D.S.S. Requirement with the DA, I hope you'll too.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2015
  2. KGB

KGB Headmaster

I loved this. I can't exactly describe why, but as a long time fan of esama's stories this is my favorite.

From an objective standpoint it might not be very good. There is no conflict. This like so many of esama's stories is more of a setup than anything else. Mixing magic with technology is probably not going to go over well with most of this forum either.

But I still loved it.

3. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

It was certainly a fun read imo, but definitely not a perfect 5 stars.

3.5 rounded to 4 for me.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  4. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I always do enjoy reading esama's writing. It tends to be just that side of strange that moves from the realm of downright weird to fun to read, and this piece is no difference.

However, like most of esama's stuff, it is either unfinished or finished with a horribly unsatisfactory conclusion. He tends to write stories to 'the good part' and then stop, and it makes me hate him.

3/5

5. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

It's decent fic. It made me think that Harry Potter magic isn't compatible with Stargate universe. Magic would have to be scientifically easily explained, which it is not. But despite that, it's an enjoyable read nonetheless. It's that Stargate type of story that describes technology leaps, new inventions, etc. It isn't character-focused very much, or even hogwarts-focused, so I can imagine that a lot of people will dislike it.

Someone before me mentioned lack of conflict. That's definitely true, but I feel that conflict would be just distraction from main theme of the story: technology, new inventions, and exploration.

I hesitantly rate 4/5. It ended quite soon for my tastes, though. Some events were left unresolved, but that is probably task for a sequel. If the series won't be continued, my rating will go down. If sequel(s) will be added, rating could go up.

6. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Totally expected to hate this. Pleasantly enjoyed.

That said, he should probably avoid a sequel. It's cute as-is, but could quickly become ridiculous.

3.5/5

7. ShotgunWilly

ShotgunWilly First Year

When the alert popped into my inbox I didn't expect much, even if it was from esama. I was very pleasantly surprised. I'll have to read the sequels if she ever gets around to them and see if my opinions change. Tenatively 5/5 because I enjoyed it a heck of a lot more than most fics these days.

8. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Pretty interesting it kept me entertained for a couple of hours so I'd say 3/5. It's too bad this part one only ever talked about the room I hope the next installment has a little more action. That being said if someone happens to come across the next installment can they post the link on this thread?

9. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

I enjoyed it, but more in spite of the fact that it was a HP fic than because of it. A lot of the magic and Hogwarts part were the weakest parts of the story.

Does anyone have any recommendations for something similar to this? Like a crew trying to operate a spaceship they found or something? Original fiction or fan fiction, I don't mind.

10. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

I remember reading something sort of similar. A New Dawn. It's stargate fanfiction. I remember enjoying it at a time, but even back then characters felt like puppets with strings. It doesn't contain a small crew finding a spaceship, but general theme is very similar.

Other than that, maybe Stargate: Universe fanfiction, if there are any good stories out there.

11. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This was really good. Probably the most enjoyable SG1/HP fic I've read in ages.

4/5 from me. Can't wait for the sequel.

12. excalibur421

excalibur421 First Year

It was an enjoyable read, but I agree that the HP side was a tad bit weak. But still...space, which was fun. 3.5/5, rounded up to 4.

13. newageofpower

newageofpower Professor DLP Supporter

I was warned away from reading this author, as someone told me that esama was a slashy writer, but this story is wonderful so far.

3/5.

14. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

Fun to read, but there isn't any Harry Potter style magic. 3/5

15. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

Esama has written a sequel, here.

16. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Interesting.

The story clearly has a few muggle wank clichés but that author has managed to write it in a way that doesn't annoy me.

17. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

Is it really muggle wank when they're using technology from a race of super advanced aliens?