1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DanMachi fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Knox, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to
    Anyone know of any good Danmachi fics? All the ones on FFn are standard fair for FFn, that is to say rubbish. Ryuugi's Percy Jackson/Danmachi fic has made me crave more lol.

2. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

If you haven't already read it My Trans-Dimensional, Overpowered Protagonist, Harem Comedy is Wrong, as Expected by Sage_of_Eyes is pretty good. It's an Oregairu/Danmachi crossover, but knowledge of Oregairu isn't necessary for enjoying the story (it would go a long way towards understanding the main characters motivations however).

Aside from that and Ryuugi's fic, I haven't really seen anything.

3. bakkasama

bakkasama Seventh Year

Well, there is New Game Plus by ryuan which a The Gamer/Danmachi cross. It is neither good nor bad but it still is following canon (though to be fair it just got past chapter two of the anime). Still, if it is a craving for Danmachi fics that accoses you then it should help.

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/new-game-plus-the-gamer-danmachi.26324/#post-5378416

Summary: Han Jee-han (The Gamer) dies at 55 in a battle to save the world but killing his enemy in the process. As a last '**ck you' his enemy uses his final strenght to make sure that he never reunites with his friends in the afterlife. As reward for the services he rendered in life and knowing her power won't transfer well to another world (the one from Danmachi), Gaia gives him a last gift, a Falna, with the hope that some day he will grow as strong as he was when he was The Gamer.

Then it is basically Jee-han inserted in the Danmachi plot without most of his skills but quickly regaining them (although not as quickly as when he was The Gamer).

As I said, no prizes will be won by the story but when cravings call...

4. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

I think that's the most entertaining piece of fanfiction on space battle's I've ever read. Not intended as a back handed compliment either, it's legitimately a fun, well written piece. Thanks for that recommendation.

5. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Sorry for lateness, but I've got a few recs I thought I'd toss your way. They aren't all freshly read though, so my reviews are... lacking.

Just for future reference, here's the Ryuugi one:
    Prytaneum - Percy Jackson crossover. Percy replaces Bell. Really good story, but dead.

Munchkin Oratoria is an SI with special powers and knowledge of the setting, inserted ~2 years before the main canon. Could be interesting, but dead since September.

Paleblood is a Bloodborne cross. We don't see Bell's time in Yharnum (except through flashbacks) and it all happened before he comes back, and there's a whole background thing of blurring between the stories going on. It's okay, but hasn't updated since October. Good story, doesn't require crossover knowledge, but dead.

Rabbit of the Moon is another Bloodborne cross, but we do see Bell's time in Yharnum. Whenever he dies in the Dungeon, he goes to Yharnum, and then stays there until he completes the level (I think. My game-knowledge of BB is low). Updated in March, but previous to that in December. Good story, crossover knowledge is a bigger plus, maybe dead.

My Time Dungeon Crawling Goes About As Well As I Expected
    is similar to Trans-D (same crosover, and was written because it went on hiatus). Five chapters, and then two omakes for Trans-D. Hachiman replaces Bell completely, and the plot continues. Main story hasn't updated since February, but omake released earlier this month. Treat it as an OC/SI, and it's okay. Maybe dead.

Media Shift is a DnD5e cross, written by Mizuki Stone. Updated frequently from January through March, seems to have been stopped since. Features a sorceror (of course, it's MS), and turns out that DnD magic is really powerful (of course, it's MS) in this setting. Really liked this one, and Mizuki often comes back to stories, but in a coma for now.

City of Adventurers is a quest. On SB. It's 140K long, and seems to update frequently. Second person PoV (so YMMV), and I've only just started, so can't really comment on quality. The little I've read doesn't seem bad, though, and it's pretty big and pretty popular, so I guess the author's doing something right.
    EDIT
    Smashed my way through this since original post. OC replaces Bell (surprise!), but doesn't quite get all the same buffs. He still grows quite quickly, but reading about a level 1 adventurer isn't quite as interesting, so I don't mind. Definitely worth picking up.
    /EDIT

Is a Gamble Worth a Gander?. OC story, finished. Decent writing, and the sequel is being planned (although won't be released for ages - the author wants to finish their other story first). The only other real downer is the "most high God", probably from Christianity, who's better than all the other gods, and is relatively plot-central. Enjoyable, but OC centric.

Red Rabbit Warhammer crossover. The four major Chaos gods enter Orario. Khorne grants her blessing to a little bunny girl. Called Fuzzy Flops. Fuzzy Flops kills everything with a giant axe. Updates semi-frequently, can't comment on crossover knowledge (I like Warhammer lore, so I know a bit more than normal), but definitely worth reading.

Well Travelled is a Worm multicrossover (Planeswalker Taylor), that MIGHT end up going to Danmachi at some point. The first cross is some Final Fantasy game, so I planned on waiting until that bit was over before powering through... And just rediscovered it in my bookmarks. No further comments, I'm afraid.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  6. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

Red Rabbit is good but the constant mentions of how adorable she was wore a little thin towards the end.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  7. Thaumologist

High Score:
    And Red Rabbit is now locked, and the author temp-banned.

From what I can pick up from the quotes, Aiz went to visit Fuzzy. For some reason, Fuzzy started explaining lap dances, and then demonstrated.

I know the author made mention a while back about how to check if content is inappropriate, but surely anyone who uses SB knows the mods there can be very trigger happy when it comes to under-18s.

EDIT

Somebody Up There Likes Me is an interesting story where Bell misses Hestia completely, and so decides to go into the dungeon by himself without a falna. Of course, he doesn't actually seem to troubled by any of the monsters he encounters, and doesn't seem to really suffer long-term injuries. Hasn't updated since February, although the author's updated another fic in March, and the chapters tend to be >10K long, so might or might not be dead. It sticks pretty close to the station's of canon, too.
    However, the author's English is... severely lacking. The writing is clunky and stilted, tense changes are frequently done mid-paragraph, and typos are everywhere.
    It does seem to be getting mildly better, but it's still only just readable.

Bell of Sanctuary is a crossover with Salt and Sanctuary, a Souls-esque 2d game. The first chapter deals with Bell wandering around in S&S, whereas chapter 2 has him back in Orario. Writing seems fine, and it updated only a few days ago... After a three month wait. So far, there's no real story in Orario happened, so it seems early to judge it - Bell's rashed back, and then had a few short chats with people. I'd like this to be good, but it could be a while before it next updates.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  8. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

I read the update last night, what happened is that Fuzzy started showing Aiz how to twerk then moved onto lapdancing. A bit unnecessary tbh.

9. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Man, I really, really like Rabbit of the Moon. Totally captures the beginning essence of Bloodborne.

10. Thaumologist

High Score:
    Another one:

My Drunk Bootycall, by D.Fish (Deviatesfish on SB/SV). In the QQ NSFW section, but no real reason so far.

Starts off like a typical SI - ROB is bored, sends SI to random anime universe. But ROB goes along too, and is a bit of a dick, although in a "not understanding humanity" way, rather than being literally space Hitler.

It's different to most other Danmachi fics, in that the main character is the god of a familia, rather than an adventurer, but I don't think it's exactly better for it.

But also, D.fish is attempting to write a SI "without massive plot shields". This causes some arguments from the readers ("but why do people think she's really powerful if she loses fights with hobos?"), which have merit but get discarded because "This is not criticism. Criticism helps me make a better story", and "you don't know my plans!". Admittedly, this is after repeated arguments from readers (which she asked to stop), but the fact they kept arguing is also, maybe, a sign that they actually feel strongly?

That said, SI does have super powers. So the latest chapter is mildly amusing.