1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dark Knight/Batman Begins crossovers?

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by The Mysterious Nobody, Aug 17, 2008.

1. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

I find it pretty rare that there seems to be close to none of those, having in mind the popularity of both movies and the characters, specially the new joker.

I expected some sort of Joker-harry fic to pop out somewhere on the internet aside from LogrusMage's "Joke's on You", but I found none. Not another plot either, not even (thankfully) Harry/Ledger or Harry/Bale buttsecs.

Do you have any links, know of any story about it?

2. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Ive seen ... two maybe? Joker!Harry fics.

What we need is for someone here to write one. I vote you, Mysterious.

3. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

+1. I've yet to see any Joker!Harry stories. I had a snapped!Harry on my attempt at a Challenge in the.. Mature Discussion thread, Thank God you're here Part 2, but that was very.. two-facesque to me.

Still, I wouldn't mind finding one of these myself.. here's hoping people read this, take a hint & write a kick-ass story =P.

4. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

How about writing one where Joker's separate from Harry? I'd love to see the character captured in writing, and it'd feel strange if Harry was the Joker since we already know Harry's history, whereas the Joker can still give the origin of his scars with no one the wiser.

5. Antivash

That was the beauty of the Joker. Any time he gave an origin for where he came from, it was always different than the time before. Like "The Killing Joke."

To quote the Joker; "If I have to have a past, then I want it to be multiple choice!"

Also, you could do an AU story thats different from Canon. The interaction between everyone would be awesome. Maybe Voldemort trying to get him to work with him and such and finding out the Joker only works for the Joker.

After all, when super-villains want to frighten themselves, they tell Joker stories.

6. Andro

What I want to see if the Joker being drawn into England when he hears of the Golden Boy, referring to Harry. Someone everyone believes is incorruptible, a concept the Joker wants to prove wrong. Just like he did with Harvey Dent.

When he double-crosses Voldemort, he'd say to Voldemort: "Harry deserves a better class of nemesis." :)

7. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

QFFT!

This would have to happen after Harry gets exposed to Dumbledore's philosophy, to make a more difficult challenge for the Joker. I would prefer the story to take place Pre-OoTP though, having Harry snap after the DoM fiasco has been done to death!

8. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

It's a good idea, just don't fill it chock-full of Joker quotes from The Dark Knight.

9. Andro

Wouldn't dream of it Blaise.

I think Mid-OoTP would make an appropriate timeframe, when Voldemort hasn't revealed himself yet, but wants to stir some trouble without exposing himself, giving him reason to reach out to the Joker while he works on the prophecy. To soften the Ministry, so to speak.

The Joker wouldn't go for a fourteen year old whole-heartedly. Probably not even a seventeen year-old, but what the hell, this is fanfiction.

Anyone got any ideas for a title?

Bottom of the Deck?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  10. The Mysterious Nobody

The only shaky part of that is finding a reason for Why Voldemort would ask the Joker anything in the first place, irrational hatred for muggles and all that.

Maybe the Joker pretends to be a Wizard, with little influence, but growing little by little until it appears as a third faction in the "war", and forces Voldemort to come out.

As for Writing one myself... Don't know, I'm not too confident that I could pull it off, but maybe I'll give it a try in september, I'll have more time then.

Clown's flush?

Draw Dead?

Pantomime?

Sinister Vaudeville? (LOL, that' one's bad)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  11. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

12. Jenkins

Jenkins Forum Bike DLP Supporter

Want to see a magic trick?

I was wondering how long it would take for a thread to be posted about this. I was wondering whether or not you would incorporate Batman into it? Hopefully no, but it would seem strange to have the Joker anyway without some semblance of the Batman, even just as a back story.

I personally think introducing the Joker at some time around the 6th book would be a lot better, because it would bring him in at the most chaotic time, and give him something to play on Voldemort as well - the horcruxes.

A totally amazing fic could come of this, maybe one which shows Harry's eventual descent into insanity and takes up a new identity. Always annoyed by Dumbledore's little clues and riddles, he dons the green outfit of...no, forget it.

Anyway, I think if Joker were to be mixed with the HP universe, it wouldn't be within his character to take down a teenager. He wants to beat those who he would consider to be his equal or similar, he just want to have fun destroying everything around a truly competent enemy. I think he'd target Voldemort for his games.

Voldemort is the insane, power hungry chaotic destroyer of the wizarding world. I can imagine Joker finding him down and pairing off against him to discover who is the master of chaos, 'clown prince of crime'. Of course Harry would be involved, and could become the Joker's principle interest.

Unless of course, you were thinking of a primarily Joker!Harry route.

13. The Mysterious Nobody

Well, the Joker could, somehow learn about the prophecy; it puts Harry at the same level as voldemort (his equal), thus, a worthy oponent of the Joker in the insane clown's mind.

The problem is not the development, but the introduction of the Joker into the story, wether it is a Joker!Harry fic or not. How do you fit the character in the wizarding world? How does he enter?

14. Jenkins

I think it would work better with Joker as a seperate character rather than Joker!Harry fic. Or you could take it so it becomes somewhat of an ApprenticeJoker!Harry, where Harry becomes absorbed by Joker's mentality and twisted into insanity himself - rather like Harley Quinn without the romance.

A way to introduce the Joker could be by having a huge event occur, drawing him in. Say something like, Voldemort attacks the Minister or something and muggle Britain becomes terrified. Joker, intrigued by the creator of all this chaos seeks things out, and hears from a contact in the crime syndicate of a group of 'superpowered terrorists' calling themselves Death Eaters. Joker hunt them down, and thus comes across Voldemort and the magical world.

However, if you do want to go with a Joker!Harry fic, it could be somewhat difficult. Considering the Joker himself never had much of a story other than what was done in The Killing Joke, Case Study and the other one I can't really remember but I think featured in Batman Confidential.

However, both stories involve toxic waste as a large contribution to the Joker's insanity so unless you want that done to Harry, you'd have to think of something completely different. Which could be either a blessing or a curse. There are things that could be used; Cruciatus Curse, random mixing of spellfire, general events leading a descent in sanity or whatever else you want to come up with.

15. Antivash

The problem, as I see it, is not the story, but the individuals in this thread.

Allow me to briefly enlighten you. Best done with a quote from Joker in Last Laugh.

"It's always been about Batman."

Also;

If anyone does this, Batman must be involved or you have no Joker. The above bold is Joker's motivation for everything. If you have a Non-Harry Joker fighting against or working with Voldemort, Harry, or anyone else, you've to tie it somehow to Batman.

An AU story, perhaps, where Mid-/Pre-OotP Harry flees and ends up in Gotham, perhaps? Just after Jason Todd's death when there is an opening for a new Robin? Or maybe he just wants to out Voldemort, Harry, and the wizarding world, causing a huge world-wide stir-up, in which he <Fill in the blanks.>

You cant just take the Batman out of Joker. It doesnt work like that.

16. Jenkins

^^/me points to post.

Flees England and ends up in Gotham City?

Anyway, if you go with this, how are you going to incorporate the Wizarding World back into the story? The Batman sticks mainly to Gotham City, it's his jurisdiction and he has enough trouble keeping it under control anyway. Somehow, you've got to make him interested in focusing on events happening in England, instead o keeping an eye on his beloved city.

I also can't see Harry taking on the role of Robin when he'd be more interested in training his magic (he is after all, a wizard). Unless you want a Robin with a wand, which while it could take away some of the faggotry, wouldn't seem right.

I was thinking that if you wanted to get Harry to Gotham, was to consider placing him into the No Mans Land scenario. Perhaps something like a magical disturbance brought Voldemort and Harry into Gotham city during one of their epic battles (something going wrong with the Priori Incantatum for instance - A DE trying to help his master by portkeying him out of their and it all fucks up) and they end up in the center of Gotham. The earthquake occurs and the two are separated in the ensuring chaos.

Batman later finds Harry stumbling through the wreckage and takes him in after he tells his story and offers to help him out, no doubt certain that Voldemort will attempt to take over what's left of the city as all the other villains do as well. Here you could have a climatic clash of Batman and Harry, Joker and Voldemort in a triangle war while the battle for bits of land between mob bosses and super villains happens all around them.

17. Andro

Perhaps HBP is better, with the Joker coming to Voldemort instead of the other way around, and Harry's age being more credible.

Bruce turns himself him at the press conference, temporarily disinteresting the Joker when news of terrorists that are more successful than he is reaches him?

Temporarily, of course.

Also, can we conclude that the Joker wears makeup instead of the fall-into-the-vat-of-chemicals-routine? The thug at the bank heist scene said that he wore war-paint, but I find it odd that the Joker's makeup wasn't removed by the police when he was imprisoned.

18. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I didn't think it was all that bad. Then again, that may just be the rarity clause talking.

Warlocke's Rarity clause: The amount of slack you're willing to cut for a story is inversely proportional to the existing number of stories about that specific world/plot/pairing/crossover.

Just a heads up: Climatic = weather. Climactic = climax.

He was only in holding, not prison, or even jail. They wouldn't have had time to bother with cleaning him up before stuffing him in a holding cell.

---

Batman/Harry Potter is a tough sell, because there are so few (obvious) ways to do it right and so very, very many ways to horrendously fuck it up. Ways that will stain your future.

And this is coming from the guy with 10K words of a Harry/Harley Quinn plotbunny stowed away in the depths of his hard drive. Oh, Puddin'... :D

19. Antivash

Wouldn't happen. Not only because Wayne wouldn't out himself as Batman, but because it's happened twice before. Once in Frank Miller's Return of the Dark Knight, and another in a comic I cant think of the name of.

In Miller's, Joker stays put in Ark Asylum. The second time, he goes even further as to use plastic surgery to fix his chemical stained skin and hair, and lived a normal life. It hinted at a romance-type relationship with one of his neighbors too.

The Joker always has, and always will be, defined by his rivalry with Batman. Its what made him unique as a villain. And dangerous.

Two-face, Killer Croc, Azreal (John-Paul Valley), Penguin... They all use the same methods over and over again. One-trick ponies to the end. But Joker always had something new up his sleeve.

So, if you're looking for a plot, Batman has to be around somewhere.

For example, one I'm just pulling off my head.

Consider Jenkins right that Potter wont take up as Robin. Maybe you've got a Post-DH story, with Voldemort dead and the world rebuilding. Older, married Potter is in Gotham making deals with Wayne Ent. for whatever. Selling companies for profits, setting up a contract to have an arm of Wayne Ent take over the rebuilding in Jolly ole England. Whatever.

But he expects all the shite to take months to set up, so he brings along his family. Maybe its Ginny and the three kids, or maybe its a 23 year old Harry and Hannah with a newborn or year old. Doesnt matter.

They get caught up in Joker's plot somehow. Kid and Hannah get killed, you have a vindictive Wizard looking for blood on your hads.

Which brings your plot to Batman trying to stop Harry and Joker both at the same time. No Voldemort, but still lots of Drama to go around. And possibly a new Villain in Gotham in the form of Harry Potter. Fun! 8D

20. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump