1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dark Souls 3!

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Reain, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

It's manageable. Short bows are great as a main for its weapon art (rapid fire) but youre gonna sink a good % of souls on arrows, specifically typed arrows which become necessary.

My first character played straight dex. Got the uchi from sword master and used a weapon skill shield of some variety. But I still dealt most of my damage from range with a bow

2. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Im up to Nameless King and Soul of Cinder now. My god do these bosses kick my ass all around the court.

I'd just like to say its an honour and a pleasure to get my ass kicked in by these awesome guys.

3. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

So now that it has been a few weeks I don't really feel bad about any kind of spoiler-ish talk. Just wondering who everyone's favorite bosses are in the game. Have to say that despite the lower difficulty to some of the later bosses, the Abyss Watchers have cinched my #1 for favorite boss in Dark souls 3.

Yhorm is my least favorite for incredibly obvious reasons.

4. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

Probably Champion Gundyr.

I had a hell of a time dealing with him (was using ultra greatswords with no parrying the first time around). Round two was fast-paced with an interesting move-set and came packaged with some nice lore. Basically all the things I'm looking for in a good DS fight.

TBH I didn't really enjoy the Nameless King fight. It was pretty cool, but his second phase (when he infuses his weapons with thunder) created larger attack windows. A lot of bosses in DSIII have this problem. Although, there are notable exceptions.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  5. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

TIL: some people consider Nameless King's second phase to be easier than the first.

6. The Berkeley Hunt

I thought Nameless king phase 2 was still hard, he does a lot of damage and he has some pretty big combos and a few moves which cover a lot of distance so you cant just amble around him. Not super hard though.

Abyss watchers is a really fun atmospheric fight, but I'm gonna have to go with Champion Gundyr as my favourite too, this guy is an absolute beast. His shoulder charge and kick moves are so dynamic and weighty, and given my complete inability to parry his fight is a lot of fun.

Honourable Mentions go to Pontiff Sulyvahn because I also didnt parry him and his ghost moveset is fun while not being too oppressive, and also to Dancer because I found her fight to be really entertaining and atmospheric, great moveset and music.

Twin Princes is pretty cool but it wasnt really that hard and idk why but even though I liked the concept it wasnt amazingly memorable. Soul of Cinder was also a great fight, good moveset, music and theme but it just didnt have the significance or emotional component that I think a boss fight needs to be truly great.

What I think is interesting is how good these fights are in comparison to other games. I think this is one of the factors that DS3 really gets right, pretty much all the bosses hit the right notes of difficulty and theme. Even DS1 had some really bad fights alongside the classics. Bosses like O&S and Artorias are still top tier, but Gundyr and my hon. mentions stack up just as well really.

7. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Nameless King on NG++ just straight out annihilates people.

I don't mind admitting that I can't solo him. So I summoned. Except there's no way to convey to the phantom that I'm on NG++ and it only takes Nameless King 2 (at most 3) hits to kill him.

Thematically, I love the Twin Princes fight best. Close second are the Abyss Watchers, but only the first part of the fight, where there's 3 of them, and one of them is running wild and attacking his fellow Abyss Watchers.

Favorite boss fight though? Soul of Cinder. That first time running at him, trying to parry, then getting Soul Stream'd later on, then seeing him ninja flip, and holy shit that pike/spear of his. Everything about SoC was perfect.

8. Fredovich

Fredovich First Year

My favorite is still the nameless king, it is easily the boss that gave me the most trouble the first time. It is still is the boss that I struggle the most with.

9. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Got the platinum since I last posted. Kinda burned out on pvp. Done 8 playthroughs. Too much in a short time? Or too much Souls in general? Nevertheless, the replayability feels a bit lower than DS1 or DS2.

Favorite bosses? Hm, Champion Gundyr's second phase and Soul of Cinder. Both really cool. Nameless King's second phase and Pontiff Sulyvahn were intense fights and above the rest. A lot of the bosses were okay. Like, good enough. I didn't really like Curse-Rotted Greatwood and High Lord Wolnir because of the stupid weak spot mechanic, but the rest were fine. Deacons of the Deep were a joke, too. The rest of the bosses... were appropriate. Nothing to complain about.

10. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I only played through it twice before I got bored and stellaris came out. I still think DS1 is the best.

11. The Berkeley Hunt

Ive got a bit over 100 hours, I can see putting in a few score more to try new builds in PvP. Beaten it a couple times but not super interested in ng+ or ++ really. Im mainly here to fight players.

I agree its not as replayable as older souls.

12. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I went to NG++ so I could get the Twin Princes' Greatsword.

But then again, I always liked hoarding unique weapons and armors in games.

13. banished

banished Squib

Almost finished with NG++ and there are two bosses that stand out for me.

The Abyss Watchers was an interesting enough fight, but being the first lord of cinder you encounter makes it just that bit special in my mind.
    The Nameless King is just amazing and my favorite by far, the fight is fun and challenging from start to finish and he really leaves you with an impression.

Least favorite? The deacons of the deep by a long shot. Beyond the initial surprise of seeing an angry mob of priests in front of you, its just plain boring.