1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DC/Marvel-Harry xover

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by GrayFox, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Just had a look at the Reimagined Marvel continuity...from what I can gather, they're basically pulling a Battlestar: Galactica, right? But, several major storylines from the original (late 2000's onwards) are still canon in the new? How does that work out, exactly? Does the 'old' continuity still exist with the new, in some form, even as history? (Did they essentially pull a 'Red Alert'?).

The Kara/Harry lover in me says the first, but the more sensible reader votes for the second.

Having Harry discover Kara first would be a good set-up for them to be friends/possibly something more, especially if he's just as confused and dazed as her. (Memory loss, etc).

Them forming a trust and a mutual working relationship, before being found by Superman, could set the grounds for a proper friendship between the two.

Depending on the age of Harry, if both meet before Clark does Kara, an amnesiac (if adult) or a Harry who doesn't know he's a wizard (pre-11) would most probably just be as terrified as Kara would be with her emerging powers, with his own.

Something traumatic (like Harry using accidental magic, when one of said soldiers makes a grab for him, and somehow accidently and painfully immolating said soldier to death) could also add something interesting to mix, too.

In the end, Clark takes away both his newly awakened cousin, and her 'strange and distrusting' friend, setting up the story.

I think that sort of depends on the age of the newly awakened Kara, though; is she a kid (around nine or something) or in her mid-teens? The wiki (quoted above) wasn't that informative...?

2. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Certain issues are the new beginning of the DC universe: Action Comics, Justice League of America, and a couple others. All the rest are something like five years later. I haven't come across any specific dates yet, so I'm guessing it's "sometime in the near future. It's a clusterfuck of confusion at the moment because certain ones didn't change at all: Birds of Prey, Batman, all of the Green Lantern comics, Batwoman, etc. they just tweaked a few things in those.

They just reinvented a few from scratch: Teen Titans, Superboy, Suicide Squad, etc. and began totally new ones: New Guardians, Red Lanterns, Red Hood and the Outlaws, et al.

Aliens are not welcome, even if they're hot and orange with large breasts, like Starfire... WTF? People either love or hate Superman. Law enforcement does not like Superman. Metas are hunted down. Barbra Gordon (Batgirl/Oracle) can inexplicably walk again. Blah blah blah.

At least Batwoman is still an albino lesbian. *whew*

As far as age ranges go: Kara (17) and Cassie (17) in canon DCnU.

I was going to make Harry older, mid-20's Auror and bump up the girls to 18 at least so I won't have any issues with sex if it comes up. I just can't deal with having a Harry Potter that is near useless with magic.

3. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

That'd also mean that Ginny/the rest of the Epilogue crap would have to be dealt with - if you use the canon Harry.

If your Harry had a different time at Hogwarts, eg, a different House, different friends, a different attitude, etc, it'd essentially broaden your creative freedom when it comes to his character, and you could just drop in the text hints/reveals about Harry's time at Hogwarts.

Eg.

Kara ran her fingers through the worn fabric, her fingertrips gently probing the garment's stitching. She found herself oddly mesmerised by the beautiful shades of bronze and silver, and wondered where he acquired it. <- Hints to the reader that Harry was in Ravenclaw, for example. Carmine did this sort of thing in his short one-shot, The Last Dance.

In general, it'd give you a lot more creative freedom, compared to a canon, post-Epilogue Harry.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  4. chriar

chriar Third Year

Sadly, I think the one series I didn't pick up from the New 52 was Supergirl, so I'm pretty clueless there. On the other hand, I can definitely see Harry being the one to miraculously give Barbara back the use of her legs. I personally think you can go the chaos theory route, with the events in Flashpoint screwing up the continuity of the universe and have that result in either wizarding society from the potterverse or just adding Harry.
    I personally hate the idea of the traumatized Harry or the amnesiac Harry. I definitely think it should be post Voldemort and just have Harry taking a vacation running away, or one of the other million ways to get Harry out of the country.

5. GrayFox

GrayFox Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

I like this, but if you are going to have the wizarding world feature heavily in the story, you would need a prologue to bring us up to speed. I don't see flashback backgrounds working, I think I would be a little lost. Now if it is just going to be harry involved with the DC, than the prologue can set us up for the meeting and we can get Harry's past through the odd memento he has kept. That and some nightmares thrown in.

6. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Not flashbacks per say, but hints in that dialogue that give the reader a rough idea of what happened in Harry's AU Hogwarts years. Really, this would work best if the wizarding world isn't the focus of the current story arc, but if it's a part/small part of it.

Readers have already read the books - they know the basics of Hogwarts, so if Harry mentions that, oh for example he rescued Hermione or Luna from the Chamber as a side comment, a reader can put the facts together quite easily.

It also makes them question Harry's relationships compared to his canon ones; if he rescued Luna, was he friends with her? Did he even interact with Ginny or the Weasleys? Also, it sheds light on this Harry's character - he was friends with a Ravenclaw that early on, a batty one at that. 'Nuff said.

Harry sighed; talking to Clark was just about as easy as talking to Slytherin's Basilisk =or= He wondered how Luna was doing - he'd lost contact with her after graduation, and he always did feel quite a bit of affection for his pseudo-sister =or= The cavern was just as faux as the Chamber of Secrets - just without the thousand year's worth of muck and grime.

7. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

If this is a full-fledged crossover, you must try working in Harry being interviewed by Lois Lane, Daily Planet, and Superman by Luna Lovegood, Daily Prophet. :D

8. Alive and Free

Alive and Free Groundskeeper

I could just imagine how those interviews would go. The question is, would Harry let himself be interviewed given his past history with reporters?

9. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

Depends on what "past" he has, doesn't it? If this is an AU, or if he's much closer with Luna, Harry might feel better dealing with reporters or the media.

10. Heather_Sinclair

Quick recap of Supergirl issues 1&2: Kara crash lands on Earth, ending up in Siberia. Gets attacked by an mechanized alien response team. She trashes them. Superman shows up and she pounds on him, not realizing he's her baby cousin that she was taking care of the day before. In other words she doesn't remember being popped into the pod and shot to Earth. Supes finely gets a word in edgewise and tells her Krypton went kablewie. The end.

Plotwise, your explanation is the closest to the route I'm going, continuity being a little askew at the beginning. It'll be explained. Post-Voldemort, Harry is an Auror already. I'm going for an original (HP-wise) idea, not rehashing bad HP plots of having heroes solve all of Harry's problems during school.

11. Alive and Free

Alive and Free Groundskeeper

So Harry's in Siberia donig what? Hunting a fugitive?

12. Portus

Portus Heir

So I checked out your link. All I can think about now is the following question:

How did this -
    [​IMG]

turn into this -
    [​IMG]

because it looks as if Ellen DeGeneres was magically transformed into a blonde Brooke Shields (note the Jordache reference thar)...

13. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Well, puberty?

14. Heather_Sinclair

This. She's like 12 in that pic.

Here's her updated look.

[​IMG]

15. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Damn. *wolf whistles*

I've been looking at the Wiki articles on the 'Metagene' - and damn, does it spark off a few ideas!

If DC can reinvent things on a whim, why not the same with Harry Potter's aspect in a cross?

Now I've just got to look up genetic engineering/re-engineering, heh.

16. Heather_Sinclair

That's my thought. And since DC conveniently reinvented themselves, why not take advantage of it. The trick is to not make a story read like a comic book, instead making it more realistic even given the subject matter. That's where I see almost every comic crossover fail. They try to make it a comic with the constant lampooning of the characters (jaws dropping, tear-drop, actually writing the words WHAM, and KAZOOM!, etc.) or they make it way too much like the cartoons.

17. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

So in other words, 'cut out the cheese, and write it as a serious story'?

18. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    This is why i love comics.

19. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

I didn't realize it till I read this, but you've spelled out one of the biggest problems I have with (most) of the comic crossovers I've read so far.

20. Heather_Sinclair

Well it doesn't have to be serious. I plan on a lot of humor in mine, but yes, no big chapter after chapter of cheese please.

I love comics too; always have. The WHAM! and KABLOOZA! have their place, in comics, like when Guy Gardner knocks Batman on his ass, WHAM! and when Batman is having sex with Catwoman, KABLOOZA! :awesome but not in a regular story.