Oneshot Dead Man's Witch by Gimme Mocha - T - Dresden Files

Discussion in 'Dresden Files' started by Orm Embar, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

Title: Dead Man's Witch
    Author: Gimme Mocha
    Rating: T (PG-13)
    Genre: Adventure/Drama
    DLP Category: General
    Pairing: Ramirez/OC (Minor role)
    Words: 23,585
    Published: June 29, 2010

Summary: Grace Bowden, small-time Chicago witch, is contacted to help with a ghost problem. She just wants to help a ghost, but when her path crosses that of Harry Dresden, she'll need more than good intentions to get out of it alive. Set during Dead Beat!
    Link: Here

This is a fairly long and well-written one-shot featuring an OC protagonist, set during the latter half of Dead Beat. The author accurately depicts the mentality of the magical 'have-nots' in the Dresdenverse, and manages to weave the narrator into the plot without derailing it. There is a sequel to the story featuring the same character, but set during the events of White Night.

Solid 4/5, don't let the OC put you off it.

Checked by Minion, January 5, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
  2. Tylendel

Tylendel Sixth Year

I really liked the story, the two of them. In someway, it's like reading a short story of the Dresden files.

It's quite original and I think that the author was able to reproduce accurately how people who do not know him feel about Harry Dresden.

4.5/5

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's a good story and it meshes incredibly well with the events of Dead Beat. The OC protagonist is endearing enough that I actually enjoyed her characterisation, and her geek friend was genre savvy enough (after a while) for him to work well as the somewhat comic relief. I'm pretty sure I would have had the same reaction as they did to the zombie dinosaur too, and it had me laughing for a good few minutes because of it.

As Embar said as well, I think the author got Dresden's reputation among the Paranet-type folks down to pat, especially as of Dead Beat where he's not had the obvious reinforcement of his good guy credentials to help him out (not that I expect that to matter come the White Night story of course, since a big point of WN is to show how feared the Wardens are in the first place).

All in all I'll give it a 5/5 and I think I'll go check out the sequel too.

4. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

Really liked this. Feels like it fits into the world pretty well, and the point of view of a low-level practitioner is very refreshing to read.

The sequel is also pretty good, but I liked this one a bit better.

Solid 5/5. Excellent one-shot.