1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Death Eaters (Mafia variant)

Discussion in 'Graveyard' started by BioPlague, Jul 30, 2011.

1. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

This is under construction. I am looking for feedback and tips.

Overview:
    Death Eaters is a Mafia variant (Flash Tutorial on How Game is Played: "Mafia"). It can be played on a forum, over IRC (Werewolf usually), in StarCraft II (<3) and in real life. It is between two teams: the uninformed majority and the informed minority. At the beginning of the game, each player is told their role by the Game Host.

The Villagers are told they are apart of the village and their role. They do not know who the other villagers are (unless otherwise stated) and are only aware of their own role. To win, all the Death Eaters must be killed. During the day phase, all players (Death Eaters included) can vote on a single individual to be "Kissed" or removed from play.

The Death Eaters are told their role in addition to the roles of all other Death Eaters. They must work together to carefully get rid of the villagers until they are the majority group within Hogsmeade (and voting during the day phase is made irrelevant). During the night phase of the game, they can work together to kill a villager.

Night and Day Phase:
    The game will begin during day. During day phases, the villagers will be able to use the thread to communicate and discuss who among them is guilty and should be Kissed. At any time a villager may submit a single vote to have another villager Kissed. When a person in Hogsmeade receives a simple majority of votes at any point in time, they are removed from play and their role is revealed. Players may rescind their vote at any time and cast it for someone else (so long as it is day phase). They cannot rescind their vote after a majority is reached against one player. If a majority of votes is not reached against one player by the end of the day phase, no one is Kissed.

During the night phase, discussion in the thread is prohibited. Death Eaters can collude via PMs and can PM the Game Host the individual they want to kill. Roles (such as Healer, Investigator or Role-Blocker) may additionally be used during this time.

At the beginning of the next day phase, if a person was killed, their name and role is identified by the Game Host and the process starts anew.

Villagers of Hogsmeade
    Wizard or Witch (value: 1) (max: unlimited):
    Role is similar to Citizen in normal games of Mafia. Wizards or witches have no special abilities. They can vote during the day on who shall be Kissed.
    Abilities
    None​

Order Member (value: 2 or 2.5) (max: 2 or 3):
    Role is similar to Mason in normal games of Mafia. Members of the Order of the Phoenix have the ability to communicate with other Members and so are thus aware of at least one other confirmed villager.
    Abilities
    - Communication with other Order Members via PMs​

Tags in Hat
    2-Man Order of the Phoenix (value: 4)
    3-Man Order of the Phoenix (value: 7.5)

Healer (value: 3) (max: 1):
    Role is similar to Doctor in normal games of Mafia. Healers have the unique ability to target one individual for "protection" during the night phase of the game. Individuals who are being protected by a Healer cannot be killed. Healers can however be role-blocked, thus nullifying their protection powers for the evening. Healers additionally cannot target themselves for protection.
    Abilities
    - Can target one individual each evening making them invulnerable​

Auror (value: 4) (max: 1):
    Role is similar to Cop or Investigator in normal games of Mafia. The Auror has the ability to investigate any of the players. During night phases, they can target a single individual to find out whether that person is a Death Eater. Aurors can be role-blocked, making their investigative ability useless for the evening.
    Abilities
    - Can investigate one villager each evening to see if he or she is a Death Eater​

Death Eaters of Hogsmeade (max: !> 25% of total players)
    Death Eater (value: 4.5) (max: !> 25% of total players):
    Role is similar to Mafioso in normal games of Mafia. They can communicate with other Death Eaters and are able to vote on a single villager to kill each night.
    Abilities
    - Communication with other Death Eaters via PMs
    - Can vote to target a villager to be killed during night phase​

Sorcerer or Sorceress (value: 5) (max: 1):
    Role is similar to Consort in normal games of Mafia. The Sorcerer or Sorceress is a role-blocker. They can target one individual each night and prevent them from using any of their abilities. Additionally, they can communicate with other Death Eaters and vote on a single villager each evening to be disposed of.
    Abilities
    - Can target one individual each evening, preventing them from using any of their abilities
    - Can vote to target a villager to be killed during night phase​

Dark Lord (value: 5.5) (max: 1):
    Role is similar to Godfather in normal games of Mafia. The Dark Lord is the strongest Death Eater role. If targeted for investigation during the night, the Dark Lord will appear to be a villager. If consensus on who to kill cannot be reached by the other Death Eaters, the Dark Lord can step in at the last moment (see rules) to determine a target.
    Abilities
    - Will appear as Villager when investigated by Auror
    - Can vote to target a villager to be killed during night phase
    - Can determine which villager to target for kill if no consensus reached​

-------------

Basic idea would be to get 12-16 people to give it a trial run. Day/Nights would last either 12 or 24 hours depending upon people's schedules. Feedback if anyone is interested.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  2. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

So very down with this.

3. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Exams are now over. I'm in.

4. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

My exams aren't over, but I'm in anyway. Only problem, what times would we have for each day and night? Since a lot of DLP is in different time zones it might be advantageous to have a full day for each or something similar.

So hoping for Dark Lord.

5. Scrittore

Scrittore Groundskeeper

I'm in, sounds great to me Merrill.

6. BioPlague

I am guessing we would have to do phases in 24 hour cycles. For example, if we start at 4:00 pm, day phase would last until 4:00 pm the next day allowing ample time for each individual to contribute and talk.

Players willing to cast a vote to lynch/kiss a villager would type Vote: Player Name. To remove: Rescind Vote. Night phase begins, the thread is locked and players with night functions can PM the game host (probably me the first time). Example: Sorcerer wants to use his ability on someone, he PMs me Role-block: Player Name. To keep things ambiguous, the Sorcerer is only notified that I have received their PM and that they have visited the person during the evening--not if it was successful. Trial and error will help the player determine if he is successfully using his abilities. The person being role-blocked will receive notice will receive notice if they attempt to use an ability (not the players name) as we transition back to the day cycle. This is to prevent any obvious gaming of the system outside the thread.

Order actions will be processed by
    1. Role-block
    2. Protecting
    3. Investigating
    4. Killing

7. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

I've never played a game like this before, but it looks really fun. So....I'm in!

8. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd be willing to play.

9. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'd also be willing to play. Sounds fun.

10. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Let's do this.

11. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

I can play too. :)

12. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

As I said on IRC, I have played this once before (around 10 years ago on the WotC forums) and would be willing to give this a shot.

13. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'm also in.

14. BioPlague

Field is set:
    Ashaya
    DarkDeoxys
    Dark Minion
    Havoc
    Kang
    Lion
    Lord Anarchy
    Lutris
    Merrill II (HOST)
    Rehio
    Riley Poole
    Scrittore
    Space Ghost
    Tenages
    The Berkeley Hunt
    Vira
    Xiph0

15. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Throw me on the list.

16. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

I'll play.

17. Havoc

Havoc Seventh Year

Still play this for shits and giggles drunk as balls with a few friends. I'm down to try it from a new medium.

18. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

So gay. You faggots are so gay.

PS: I'm in. D:

19. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I would like to join. Being in the UK wont screw things up will it?

20. BioPlague

No. And you're in. With that the 16 slots are set. I will do the draw and use a generator to assign roles once I get home. I will then PM with roles and create thread.