1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Decent Crossover

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by T3t, Jun 25, 2011.

1. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I know that I'll be reading all the wonderful competition entries in two weeks... but still.

And when I say crossover, it can be completely marginal too - a single idea/concept from one world somehow finding itself in HP, for example.

Here are the popular fanfiction universes I have enough knowledge of to appreciate a crossover of:

Star Wars (have read Darth Marrs' stuff, was meh)
    Yugioh (though, given the even more insane slashfest that is that fandom I'm not holding out much hope)
    Pokemon
    Ghostbusters
    X-Men (though I've read and am not a particular fan of HP & the World that Waits)
    And of course the ever-present Dresden Files, though I've read the Denarian Trilogy as well as Uncle Stojil's work, Joe's thingy, and School Spirit.

Thanks.

2. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

To add onto T3t's post, I'd also like to find some decent Star Wars crossovers that do not use the whole 'magic as some lame new way of using the Force' plot device.

Can anyone help us?

3. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

There's a Magic part of the Force that Dathomir Witches and Nightwitches use in the SWU that might be a decent tie-in with HP magic. Obviously it's Force-based and a tad more wildly, but at least magic isn't unheard of. Granted, most Force sensitive people on that planet are female so they probably wouldn't welcome Harry with open arms or anything.

On the plus side, they ride Rancors into battle. I had visions of Dresden on a T-Rex when I saw that.

I'd write it, but I can't write Sci-fi to save my life.

On topic: I've searched through all the SW/HP on FF.net and it's all crap with the exception of the Harry/Aayla Sword and Magic story (or whatever its called)

4. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Now that it's a TV show and the author has no say over fanfiction because of it; I'd love to see Harry thrust into Game of Thrones. Though, he'd basically be able to rape about 98% of the world with his powers.

And yes, more HP/Star Wars is needed. I don't mind seeing magic as the force, but I can see that it's really just lazy writing so the author doesn't have to think too hard. I once read a fic that said that magic was actually the dark side of The Force, and that Earth was literally smothered by the dark side (magic). Yeah . . . I think Harry was Revan in that fic >_>

I had an idea once for a HP/Dresden fic where the HP magic system is replaced with Dresden magic. There's no Hogwarts or "wizarding world". Just apprentices and the like. I think I had Dumbledore serving on the Senior Council or being persona non grata with them for some crime. So, HP was Dumbledore's apprentice learning Dresdenverse magic etc etc. I never got around to writing it.

5. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Eh? GRRM absolutely still owns his characters and stories despite his having sold production rights to another party. Moreover, he has said repeatedly that he detests fanfiction and will not permit it to be made of his work. His attorneys are sure to come out CADs-a-blazing against anyone who tries to post any on a site like ff.net. Considering how he's now about a deciRowling in terms of money, has the wherewithal to go after folks who piss him off, and, according to people I know who actually know the guy, he gets pissed off easily, it's not worth it.

The series I'd still love to see crossed with Harry Potter is the Black Company series by Glen Cook. Apart from magical transport in HP, the magical systems seem quite compatible, far more so than something like LOTR or ASoIaF, where magic is far more limited. I've yet to see a decent HP/Black Company crossover, though I did recently run across a LOTR/Black Company crossover that is very good (and complete).

6. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

Actually, GRRM has this to say when it comes to fanfiction based on the show. I'm still waiting for decent stories, though.

7. T3t

High Score:
    GRRM's position on fair use is utter tripe. That said, I don't feel that it would be possible to write a "good" crossover of HP/ASoIaF - living up to the standards of quality of the second series would be difficult, to say the least.

8. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Must not be doing a very good job then if the 296 fics in the ASoIaF section on FF.net is any indication. 296 too many, probably. But yeah, I'd love a good Harry Potter/Game of Thrones (Or ASoIaF) crossover... Or just a good Game of Thrones fic. As Ashaya mentioned, decent stories are a ways off yet (So many damn Jon/OC stories. So damn many).

As for everything else on the list up there, I can't really recommend anything. You've read the good Dresden Files crossovers, and good Pokemon/HP crossovers are mythical beasts, never to be found.

9. T3t

High Score:
    Yeah, I can't even imagine how that would work outside of dimension hopping. And the power differentials would be insanely hard to balance.

Ugh, oh well. I've found a few good fics in the last two weeks, which is nice after a dry streak. I'll make do =P

10. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

When I think of crossover, Browncoat, Green Eyes comes to mind, which is in my opinion the single best crossover ever from the HP fandom. Chances are that you already read this, but well.

11. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

Hey Perspicacity, is that Black Company/LotR crossover called The Black Company in Middle Earth? If not, please post a link to it immediately.

12. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    That's the one.

13. The Arid Legion

The Arid Legion Professor

A good Pokemon/HP crossover? I'm actually trying to write one of those.

It's not going all that well...

14. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

I can imagine that one going down well. :awesome

15. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

Oh god.

Harry: Expecto Patronum!
    -And a giant Sawsbuck erupted from his wand-

16. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Screw Pokemon. This fandom needs more Pokegirl crossovers. The only good one is written by Big D. Sauce.

17. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

He doesn't get to have attourneys CADs-a-blazin' and no one else should either until FF.net gets rid of fanfics featuring heroes of WWII buttfucking. Yeah, I'm lookin' at YOU, Band-o-Brothers fanficion writers.

18. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

What did I just read?

19. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Welcome to to the world of Pokegirls!

Anyways, the only HP x-over I can recall from those that I read myself is Harry Mewter, and you probably know about that already.

20. funkytoad

funkytoad Fifth Year

nevermind, just re-read the post