1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Decent HP Crossovers?

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by eden, Oct 20, 2015.

1. eden

eden First Year

This is prompted by my inability to find one single readable Harry Potter crossover fanfic. Admittedly, that is partly because the list of fandoms I've searched for a HP xover to date is short. But there is one thing that seems obvious: I am incapable of finding good xover fics, and the flood of badfics and the manner of their settings and characterizations make me go look for brain bleach more often than not. :(

So, please, can anyone recommend me any good fics? Ones that do not nerf the cast of one fandom over the other? And ones that use logic and common sense as a matter of fact for the general premise of the plot?

To name a few:

In HP/Naruto xovers so far this seems to be the norm: 1) fics where both verses coexist (the obligatory Team 7 gets he mission to protect HP and friends fic) without any work done on the author's part to explain it or necessary worldbuilding 2) Harry and/or friends, or worse, Naruto and/or friends accidentally/on purpose travel between dimensions and fix everything, etc.

Or what about those Stargate crossovers where SG-1 and co. take finding out about the wizarding world in stride, and only put up a token protest at the idea of sending children to do the war and/or put no protest at all at the blasé manner obliviations are used?

Generally when it's something where "character (mostly Harry) gets to time-/dimension-travel to another fandom's setting and things happen" type of fic, I don't recognize the "Harry Potter" in them. He's that OOC, and it's that obvious he's the author's voice box. Especially when Harry fits himself into that world at some point and casts off everything that was previously his defining characteristics.

Long story short, I'd be very grateful for the recommendation of some decent (or better) HP crossoverfics, with any fandom. My only stipulations are, as mentioned, no nerfing, no OOC, at least some world-building, and (if applicable) common sense.

Ideally, less used characters like Neville and Luna would get screen time too, but that on top of everything else is probably asking too much.

Also ideally no xovers with Marvel/DC universe or Bioshock, but everything else is fair game.

Considering how high the standards are for most DLPers to consider a fic "decent", the list of fics is probably not that long, but in exchange good reads.

Thanks! :D

2. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

3. eden

eden First Year

Nope. For shame indeed. Why oh why have I never run across those? What's wrong with me? :facepalm But then, I did say I was pants at finding good fic.

Thanks so much! :D

4. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

5. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Your experience may vary, just did a quick search of my favorites and these are the ones I remember being readable at least, some are quite good while others are awesome.

Yes, I'm bored.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  6. eden

eden First Year

Thanks for the reminder, World. :D

To be honest, I realized I'd forgotten to do that after I posted, though in my defense, it was after yet another badfic that utterly destroyed my suspension of disbelief from the get-go and my patience snapped. I'm taking a look at exactly those pages you linked, but... well, unless I'm overlooking something, most of those don't look like they fit the mentioned parameters in one way or another. In fact, some of them I've seen before and disliked for just that reason. And some even have the red flags in their very summaries, such as Dark!Harry, or Grey!Harry, or Harry/Multi, so...

But I'll go look through the rest of the story search thread too. :)

Thank you, Fardeki, I'll check them out. :D

7. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

Check this thread out.

Harry Potter and the Swarm is yet another sci-fi crossover. Starcraft. I've read that story while not knowing much about Starcraft.

D.S.S. Requirement by Esama is also pretty good.

Sword and Magic and Last Second Savior shouln't be forgotten. I like that second one more. HP/SW cross.

Nothing else comes to my mind.

edit: The Power He Knows Not is also readable HP/LotR cross.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  8. MoltenCheese

MoltenCheese Seventh Year

9. eden

eden First Year

Thank you, too, Radmar, MoltenCheese for the links! I'll check them out. :D

10. rnd

rnd Muggle

11. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Uh. I'm just gonna leave Wand and Shield here. The fact that it's taken this many responses is miraculous enough as it is.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8177168/1/Wand-and-Shield

Data:

Wand and Shield
    By: Morta's Priest
    The world is breaking; war and technology are pushing on the edge of the unbelievable, and S.H.I.E.L.D. desperately attempts to keep the peace. The soldier and the scientist are not the only lights that push back against the darkness, however; magic will encompass the world again as the last wizard makes himself known.
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Adventure/Supernatural - Harry P. - Chapters: 33 - Words: 260,787 - Reviews: 6,637 - Favs: 10,783 - Follows: 12,469 - Updated: Jul 22 - Published: Jun 2, 2012 - id: 8177168

RIP, just saw the stipulation for now DC or Marvel Xovers. Oh well.

12. eden

eden First Year

Thank you, rnd! :D I'll check it out. Dresden Files is one of those fandoms that could potentially be crossed over with Harry Potter really well, so I'm looking forward to reading it.

Thanks a lot anyway, MonkeyEpoxy :D True, I didn't want DC or Marvel. But it's good to have it mentioned for others at least if it's as much of a staple and must-read as you're indicating. :)

Truthfully, that stipulation was mainly because I cannot imagine DC/Marvel universes crossed over with any other fandom, and done well unless it's a dystopian/apocalyptic story with massive world-building. (Probably one of the reasons why the usual route for a crossover with them consists of the "character travels to the DC/Marvel universe" trope, of which I'm not very fond of.)

This story you recced seems to be exactly that, though, and so that's great.

13. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Your parameters were that you wanted the stories to be good. You also said that you wanted, and I quote without using the quote tag, no nerfing, no OOC, at least some world-building, and (if applicable) common sense.

World gave you a links to threads likely to have that. Just glancing through the first page of the first thread I saw at least one or two.

So my first concern is that you say you're bad at finding decent xover fics, but you're also quite new to the forum. So the 'red flag' that raises for me is that you aren't willing to put minimal effort into browsing and finding at least a few.

Not to mention that you seem to be dismissing stories out of 'red flags' in the summary that you didn't mention being part of your stipulations. I do agree wholeheartedly that Harry/Multi or Dark!Harry are often indicative of sloppy writing and poor storytelling. But a good author can pull either one off, at least well enough to get into our library.

I don't blame you for not wanting to read them, but if you are going to dismiss crossovers out of hand then might as well have put that in your initial post.

HP crossovers? There's also this thread fairly easy to locate.

My recommendations are in there.

Welcome to the forum.

14. eden

eden First Year

I'm sorry that I came off like that. Wasn't my intention at all. Should have worded it differently, though it's no excuse.:(

And it's true, a good author can pull anything off.

Yes, Ihave been trying to familiarize myself with the forum's structure, and yes, it's still a work in progress. But as stupid as sounds, I have wasted I don't know how many hours looking for exactly a recommendation thread like the one you linked without success. (Of course part of the reason for that might have been that I kept getting sidetracked by the interesting threads I found during the search, but still.)

I'll shut up now before I dig myself in any deeper and say thank you very much for the link. :)

15. tigrishisha

tigrishisha Squib

High Score:
    I very much love the Katekyo Hitman Reborn! crossover 'Dusk to Dawn' by reighost. While Harry is in later chapters a bit different than in canon, the first chapter impressed me very much, you should definitely check it out.
    It also has a twin fic called 'Brightly Burning' by Araceil, which fits your conditions even better though in my opinion it is not quite as well written. Still very much enjoyable though! Unfortunately the updates are pretty slow for both fics. Hope I could help :)

16. eden

eden First Year

Thank you, tigrishisha, I'll be sure to check those out. :D

17. Azur

Azur Muggle

High Score:
    I haven’t checked if any of these are in the Library since my computer is way too slow for that, but you’ll certainly be entertained.

I do have to make some caveats, though:
    • Explanations of why the Crossover happened do not tend to go far from a token explanation (a WILD PORTAL has appeared!), or else given much thought to. I will make note of where this happens, where necessary.
    • Precisely because I didn’t check the Library, you will see some… Unusual choices here given that I thought maybe to suggest new things to read. Don’t let yourself discouraged by lack of knowledge of the fandom, however. I recc’ed fics which didn’t demand a deep knowledge of non-HP fandoms.

Without further ado:

I like the language the author uses, although some people might find the narration style pretentious. It doesn’t completely adhere to Death Note canon; although the fic does imply a point of divergence that’ll probably be [only] readily apparent to DN fans. The fic is sort of like the compilation of thoughts of one Harry Potter during the year, about Light Yagami in his tenure as a DADA professor.

If you’re looking to answers as to how Light might’ve stumbled upon magic (his or otherwise), you’re going to be disappointed. The point of the fics is that Light is… An unsolved mystery, perhaps—although this is debatable. I do like it a whole lot.

[HP/His Dark Materials]

This fanfiction posits that Potterverse-Earth is the same as Will’s Earth from His Dark Materials. I consider Lord Voldemort to be a bit OoC, but nothing too heinous. It’s a proper short-story so it does actually have a plot.

A little background knowledge of xxxHOLIC may be warranted, but readers quick on the uptake who are Potterheads will be able to identify the ‘meat’ of the plot. An intriguing look. It’s a Crossover that doesn’t need explanation as far as xxxHOLIC canon is concerned, since the whole point of the Dimensional Witch is that she’s able to traverse realms to grant wishes.

[HP/CSI: Miami]

Yes. It’s posible. And it’s great. It ignores HBP onwards (I think), yes, but it’s one of my favourite crossovers period, especially—given my scant viewing of anything CSI-related—since it doesn’t nerf any characters whatsoever.

[HP/Naruto]

I only remember two things about this:
    1. No irritating grammar errors.
    2. Side-splittingly funny.
    Off you go! Note that this fic doesn’t offer much detail as to how Harry started dealing with Naruto other than fûinjutsu IIRC.

[HP/Naruto]

Really amusing. Some may say Iruka is OoC, but I think that his portrayal is quite alright, especially since he is a criminally underused character in canon. The best thing is the absolute insanity that having unconspicuous Naruto ninja around would actually be.

It occurs during GoF, and it’s really, really clever. You’ll know why. Especially notable since it actually addresses the language barrier. Some punctuation errors.

May be abandoned.

[HP/Chronicles of Narnia]

Oh my heart. Ouch. No further comment than that is necessary.

[HP/Fullmetal Alchemist]

A Blaise-centric fusionfic. One that makes an odd sort of sense. I don’t know, just read it.

It’s fluffy and sad. If fluff is not much your thing, you’d be better off skipping this one. This is one of the most absent-minded regarding actual world-building since the Narutoverse is just inserted in Potterverse Earth—I assume in Japan somewhere?

[HP/xxxHOLIC]

This is one of the fanfiction that prompted me to get into xxxHOLIC. Attentive readers will be able to grasp the plot without knowing any xxxHOLIC canon, and I think the fic is actually the more impactful for it. A dark, fun read.

[HP/Danny Phantom]

While it’s fairly Danny-centric, a lot of it is from Harry’s perspective as well. It may get confusing without knowledge of Danny Phantom canon, but not overly so. I remember it having good action scenes, although not of the detailed sort.

Especially notable in that, unlike most HP/DP Crossovers, it’s a continuation fic from the Potterverse perspective, since it actually does line-up the different universe’s timelines linearly (Harry Potter is the 90’s, and DP late 2000’s).

———————————————————————————————————————

Let me know in the thread if you enjoyed anything from this list; maybe I can PM with some other fics you might be interested in?

18. eden

eden First Year

Thank you, Azur, for this long list of recs! I'm sure I'll enjoy going through them. :D (Luckily none of the fandoms of the recs in your list is unknown to me.)

And thank you for the offer as well, I'll be certain to let you know. :)