1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Decent next-gen fic

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by furifo, Sep 6, 2011.

1. furifo

furifo Muggle

I've been looking for a decent fic that takes place after the penultimate chapter in DH - something set BEFORE '19 years later' with a nice emphasis on HP/GW

I've had a look myself but there seems to be literally thousands. I was wondering if any of you guys could recommend one for me?

2. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

www.harrypotterfanfiction.com is good site for that specific search. I read a ton of post final battle HP/GW before I found DLP and acquired some taste. Been awhile since I've read some of these, so I can't say if they are good or bad. Most of these kind of stories are the same. Harry either becomes a quidditch player, DADA teacher, or Auror, and there's one where he bought the Hogshead too. I can't remember a lot of the stories names, and most of the are bookmarked on my old computer, but here's a few I remember.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5231591/1/The_Hogs_Head
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5826999/1/Ginnys_House (sequel to above)
    Harry Potter and the Essence of Revenge
    Harry Potter and the Summer After the War
    Harry Potter and the Winter after the War (sequel to above)
    Learning to Live Again
    Thirty-One Bottles (sequel to above)
    The Onset of Autumn
    If Spring Ever Comes (sequel to above)
    Backwards with a Purpose 1: Always and Always
    Backwards with a Purpose 2: The Book of Albus
    Backwards with a Purpose 3: Refuge of Hope

Been a long time since I read any of those (minus BWP), but I remember them being pretty good. I once longed for more information about Harry's life after the final battle, and that's why I started reading fanfiction. Most of the sequels above were not even finished when I first read them, and now I'm half tempted to reread the stories now that they are.

3. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

4. furifo

furifo Muggle

This is part of the reason why I've been having trouble finding a decent one! Thanks for your sugguestions :D

Seems like a better site for specific types of fics than fanfiction.net is. Thanks for the heads up.

Having skim-read through the first chapter on some of the ones you've mentioned, I think I'm going to start with either:
    - Hog's Head/Ginny's House
    - OR Summer after the war/Winter after the war

These are pretty lengthy fics and being a med student, my fiction reading time is unfortunately rather limited. This coupled to the fact that if I start a fic, I MUST finish it even if I don't like it means that I have to choose carefully. Do you remember enough about these fics to pick one over the other?

I stumbled upon this absolute GEM of a forum while browsing on google for a HP fanfic forum! Awesome site and awesome community!

Thank you for all the help guys.

5. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Yeah, DLP rocks. You'll need somewhat thick skin, but it's worth the effort put in. A few other stories you might consider:

joe6991's All My Love To Long Ago is quite good and definitely worth checking out. Joe's one of the authors who frequents this site (under the name "Joe").

If you want something a little shorter, I wrote one once called Hallows and Pathos. It's not the most upbeat of stories, though it does have an adult Harry/Ginny relationship and is set post-final-battle.

Another I wrote that happens after the events of the final battle is A Mother-In-Law's Love, It's a time travel story starting from a slight canon divergence: after Ginny's death in the final battle, Harry returns to the end of his 6th year to try to make things right.

You should recognize that historically DLP hasn't been the most accommodating for Harry/Ginny stories. The site has mellowed over the years--had you made this query three or four years ago, you'd have been shouted down pretty nastily. (It may still happen, but with nowhere near the gusto of ages past).

If you haven't checked it out yet, the DLP Library is a source of much goodness in fanfiction, particularly if your tastes run to somewhat more adventurous pairings than Harry/Ginny.

6. Portus

Portus Heir

Yeah, no. You're gonna have to get over that disability, or you might as well read nothing but a fraction of the DLP Library.

Continuing to punish yourself by sticking with a story you know has gone to shit or jumped the shark <-- that way lies madness, young padawan.

There's actually a kind of catharsis to be had in hitting the big red X near the end of chapter one when you find yourself in what amounts to the literary equivalent of an over-stimulated preteen girl's fever dream. Involving long-winded soliloquies by Draco Malfoy. Rife with abrupt and unintentional tense changes and, arguably, grammar fails on the level of war crimes.

I think I could take a few of the terribad stories I've X'd out of and with a little background info, make a study of the effects of the first menstrual cycle, body image, and illiteracy.

/I hate reading shitty stories
    //Why would I keep reading one when I realize it's shitty?

7. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

///Because I hate leaving a story in the middle even more.

8. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I love x'ing out of terrible stories. To me, it's an invisible gesture of contempt and act of disdain for writers who contribute negatively to fanfiction. I'm taking a look at their pitiful offerings and am laughing. And they deserve nothing less.

9. furifo

furifo Muggle

I will definitely check that one out as I really like time travel fics thanks!

Incidentally, one of my all time favourite fanfics is a time travel one which is quite popular so I'm guessing some of you will have read it - Harry Potter and The Nightmares of Futures Past

It is beautifully written and very gripping. It isn't complete and hasn't been updated since 09 but apparently according to the Viridian forums the author has been busy and is currently writing up the next chapter.

I highly recommend anyone who likes time travel fics to go check that one out although as I mentioned before, I suspect many of you already will have done.

I know, I know but I just HATE having to leave something in the middle. I guess if I'm to enjoy more than just a fraction of fics, I'm going to have to learn to just push that big red X in the corner!

I will definitely be checking out the DLP library, as I've said before, I think I'm beginning to love this site.

I've recently re-read all the HP books and yearned for more reading about what happens to the characters afterwards. For the time being, I'm focusing on fics that portray the characters relationships with one another the way JK Rowling intended them to be.

Having said that, I will be drifting towards fics with more adventurous pairings - I've read a couple in the past, most were terrible but there are some focusing around odd relationships that turned out to be very enjoyable reads.

I've bookmarked this thread. You guys have recommended me some really great fics to read and I intend to read most, if not all of them on this page.

I've started with Hog's Head/Ginny's House. Thanks Lord Anarchy for the suggestion.

Thanks to everyone. Keep em coming if you guys have any more recommendations.

10. Sesc

Lol, NoFP. I think the only thing that's more slow moving (both in terms of plot and updates) is cts' Reign O'er Me. Last time I checked that fic, it was still in the summer after fifth year, before Harry's birthday. After some 300k words and about as many years of writing.

Yeah, I read NoFP at one point. And I stopped caring when it became clear Viridian wouldn't be able to finish it in this century. That aside, it's particularly average and hasn't aged very well.

---

I think the thread title is misleading, by the way. If you write "next-gen-fic" I take that to mean stories featuring the Teddy Lupins, Rose Weasleys and Albus-Severusses of the world, but apparently what you want is simple Post-Hogwarts, in particular set before the kids happen and go off to Hogwarts.

If you want something short there, I'd rec a Quidditch Ficlet like Life Outside Quidditch -- but then again, it's Harry/Katie, not H/G, and it's got nothing to do with DH like you asked. Which would be the reasons to recommend it in the first place, but there you go.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  11. furifo

furifo Muggle

I only recently read NoFP and so had a decent 38 chapter chunk to go off. I quite liked it but maybe that was because I had alot of material to read and wasn't waiting for updates.

Sometimes, a short fic can be just as enjoyable as a long one. I'll check it out, thanks.

Apologies for the mis-leading title. I think that after I've saturated my lust for post-hogwarts fics and read a couple more of the fics mentioned in this thread, I will most likely be longing for a proper next-gen fic that revolves around the children of the main characters.

Could you recommend any of those kinds of fics?

12. Sesc

Me? No, not at all, because I'm not reading that if it was the least thing there was to read. If the quality Inverarity produces in the Alexandra Quick series is any indication for his other works, Hogwarts: Houses Devided should be quite readable, but I haven't read it, and I never understood why someone would read/write a Harry Potter story about Harry Potter's children. It's about the most boring concept ever.

And no, you don't need to explain it to me either.

13. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

Funny enough, I love HHD but barely finished AQ1.
    I did promise the author I'll give the AQ series another try later, though.

14. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

Hogwarts: Houses Divided is a good read, but probably the only Next Gen kids fic that's worth your time. It was the only one I found worth my time, anyway, but I don't really care for the genre.

I think I started to read Hog's Head two or three times, but quit quickly every time. Didn't Ginny get some sort of weird power or something during the Battle of Hogwarts? I remember something happened with her that made me x out of the story every time. It wasn't all that well written either.

If you like time travel fics, I'd point you to one of Lord Anarchy's other recommendations; Backwards With A Purpose. I just reread the first one last week and even though I felt it dragged on a little in the end, it's one of the greatest of its kind (a do-over of the Hogwarts years). I haven't read the sequels yet, but I heard they're good as well and they seem to be more of a Next Gen kind of thing.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  15. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The sequels of BWP are good as well, though the third is abandoned (or on extended hiatus). Still, worth reading.

16. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

I'd go so far as to say that the second part is what elevates BWP from "decent" to "excellent." It's as if you get to see the bones and guts of the first part, being filled in one piece at a time - and discovering that they're more elaborate than you ever hoped for.

Deadwoodpecker put more thought into her canon redo than some people put into their sharply divergent AUs.

17. Portus

Portus Heir

Huh. I had given up on the first BWP after the ten-thousandth time I had to read, "Always and always and always and always and..." or something like that. It was fucking annoying. And yes, I know the author was trying to show how damaged Harry, Ron and Ginny were, but still, it got on my last goddamn nerve.

Surprisingly, I don't hold a lot of hope for a second read, but with so many positive reccs, I'll put it on my (oh my fucking god what a long) list.

At the risk of sounding arrogant, you can find a post-DH one-shot in my sig. It's not what you'd call epilogue-compliant, at least not as *I* read the epilogue, but I enjoyed writing it, and a few people even enjoyed reading it!

One of the greatest fanfics ever written was done between GoF and OotP. It's post-Hogwarts, but is obviously somewhat AU due to the fact that the last three canon books weren't even written when it was posted. Still, it gets an awful lot of things right, and is epic and incredibly well-written.

After the End by Arabella and Zsenya.

There are many here at DLP that don't care for it, but it's damn good.

For some serious post-DH, pre-epilogue canon compliance, you'd be hard-pressed to beat The Golden Age by Arsinoe de Blassenville.

And don't any of you fucking haters ruin it for the OP, either, goddammit!

18. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

I second this.

I do not second this.

I suppose YMMV with both stories.

19. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    YMMV, indeed. I don't like the first but do like the second (well, like how it was written, anyways).

20. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

I can think of two 'next gen' fics that I liked.

Albus Potter and the Year of The Badger was decent. At the very least, I didn't have any huge urges to vomit when I read it.

Albus Potter and the Black Badger Society is the sequel. I didn't enjoy this one quite as much even though it had some decent plot points. Hufflepuff starts showing some competence, which generates a shitload of resentment from the other houses, who would prefer that they retain their doormat status. The professors' refusal to step in and deal with it when Hufflepuff was basically under siege was annoying. On the other hand, Hufflepuff's willingness to fight fire with fire was great.