1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Demon’s Feign, Merlin’s Pain by Nuhuh - M - Dresden Files

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Nuhuh, Apr 1, 2007.

1. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

Awesome chapter. I particularly like the Gatekeeper and Voldemort. And just the council agreeing to peace, in general. I look forward to the sequel. I know it will take place in HP verse, but I'm hoping to find out about post-peace HP-WC interaction. Also, the interactions of HD and Ancient Mai.

Also, amazingly, I feel sorry for the Merlin.

2. Oneiros

Oneiros Groundskeeper

I don't...he got off easy. He could have had to face a fully healed (and extremely pissed off) Harry Potter.

3. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Potter would not of done what Riddle did. That was much the point of his release of Ridde. Riddle played with his victims, he enjoyed their suffering. Harry Potter would of just killed him.

4. desinys

desinys Squib

High Score:
    I found this story after falling in love with Shezza's Denarian trilogy, and I must say I am a little disappointed. I liked this story, but that's it. I somehow got the impression that this story was one of the elite ones and maybe my standards were simply too high when I started reading it, or maybe it's the fact that I haven't read or seen the Dresen files. Either way, I couldn't really connect with the story and in the end had some trouble finishing it. Before you all attack me, let me tell you what exactly is bothering me.

The narration is hard to follow, which makes the story very tiring to read. I get that Harry is a little insane and Dresden doesn't exactly have the most straightforward way of thinking, but that doesn't add up well with first person narration, somewhat confusing events (I found the beginning very hard to read since the narration wasn't exactly easy to follow and there were many new characters introduced simultaneously), and a structure resembling stream of consciousness. Although the writing style really fit some of Harry's scenes, most of the time it made the text seem sloppy. Due to the style of narration, reading requires a lot of concentration, which isn't exactly a bad thing on its own. It just means the story has to be very engaging in other aspects to keep reading it interesting and pleasant.

I really liked the way Murphy was introduced - I had a good idea of what she was like after a couple chapters even though I hadn't heard of her before. Unfortunately Harry's and especially Dresden's characterization was left on a more superficial level. I feel that the first person narration was intended to make the characters seem more personal and closer to the reader, but it didn't work for me due to the confusing and overly relaxed flow of events and thoughts. I also would have wanted the dramatic scenes to be emphasized a little more - more often than not, I had been waiting for something to happen, and when it finally did, all the drama and tension was just cast aside. I reread my favourite scenes and tried to enjoy them as I usually do, but I just couldn't help but feel that the author had just wanted to sort of be over with them. I'm still a little bitter about how neither Harry or Dresden confronted each other properly and even the tension between them was more of a side note. I get it, they both liked Murphy, but still, there could have been some drama at some point to make the relationships a bit more interesting to follow. I feel like the author was only concentrating on the plot and forgot about all these little things that makes the story not only a good story, but also exciting to read.