1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Dimension Hopping for Beginners by nonjon - M

Discussion in 'Humor' started by nonjon, Mar 5, 2006.

1. noddwyd

noddwyd Third Year

hidden under the floorboards, in tiny pieces.
    cool beans. It's hilarious reading all the reviews when I read most of this before it reached ffn. One person in particular was questioning how you were updating so quickly. Answer: why, magic of course!

Also someone did bring up an interesting question about having a world with Harriet Potter rather than Harry, but I think you mentioned you were doing the twin thing so maybe that's a bit much doing both.

2. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Err... sorry. There's no twin, or actually what I'd started wasn't twin but younger sister is thought to be Girl-Who-Lived. Scrapped it after a few hundred words because it wasn't interesting me.

All that's left are tomorrow's Azkaban!Harry chapter and then the final chapter. Final chapter Monday... I hope. I've been slacking on finishing it. Got a couple thousand words. And after a number of reviews, I've decided there may be a mention of female!Harry. But not a complete world or anything.

3. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

This has become my number one story now.

4. That_Boy

That_Boy DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Azkaban Harry was cool. Wish it was going to be longer but it could get tired after a while and cutting it off soon makes sense. Good work though

5. Rain

Rain Pirate Navigator of the 7 Seas

I absolutely adored the azkaban dimension. (which adds a forbodding tint to any idea that I might update my own cliche Azkaban ficcy anytime soon) I would have had plenty of great things to say and witty comments, but FF.net wasn't allowing me to review so.. this is what'cha get.

While it depresses me a little to think that there is only one chapter left, I'm sure my face will turn red from all the laughing I won't even remember it is the last chapter until days later. Which, coincidentaly, I would have sent my review in already and you wouldn't know about that effect.

That is, if I hadn't just told you, of course. ;) Thanks for the laugh. It's very appreciated.

6. nonjon

Actually, I've been struggling on this last chapter. I had several things I was intending to throw in, but I keep cutting them out.

Like A.K. picks up a protege and they check out the interdimensional locker room where 267 other dimension hoppers keep their dirty laundry. And the stuff that's not safe for any world. But that seems scrapped. And I've wavered on how much back story to give A.K. Or even how much of his own world he remembers. We're over 500 worlds now. All the people and places would blend together.

Dunno. Struggling to get it to be a clean succint ending point for a truly never-ending premise. May just post the last chapter as it exists now, and call it a day. If I don't get any bright ideas then the last chapter will be up on schedule tonight. But if it's not, then that's a good sign because I actually got an idea on a better way to finish it.

As for Azkaban!Harry, that's a concept that's been parodied enough, as far as the "betrayals" and getting your comeuppance bashing the former friends before often forgiving them for no real reason. So my plan was to simply get him the hell out before there was even that sort of situation.

Thanks for the comments folks.

7. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

lmao, I loved the last Azkaban chapter. Him staying there two weeks, killing off Ron (even though I like him), and the whole getting powerful for no reason. Ah, loved it.

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

The ending, eh? Well, here are two possible endings:

1) AK kills all the Voldemorts and completes his quest.

You can do this with something like Matrix the Architect thingie... He meets this god-like thing that was once Voldemort and make him a deal...

Or AK sends to all Voldemorts in multiverse invitations to the First Anual Inter-Dimensional Evil-Overlord Congress (we have cookies)... and then blows up the whole universe with them in it...

...Or riling them up one against each other by convincing them that their power will increase with each double they destroy (like in movie The One).

2) AK spends ethernety hunting Voldemorts.

Do the omakes like in You Did What: AK Junior killing his first Voldemort, with his daddy patting him on the head etc... stuff like that.

9. That_Boy

Just thought, you could have a massive battle between AK and a voldemort who has sworn to kill every Harry Potter

10. nonjon

Well, a massive battle doesn't really happen as Harry Potters sort of have a hold on policing the dimensions simply because they don't want to rule the world. A Voldemort with desires to rule the world and be god, would have problems with other worlds. He needs his recognition and the fear his presence commands. And an infinite number of separate and unrelated worlds would throw a kink having to reintroduce himself as Dark God everywhere he went.

IP's second option about A.K. spending eternity hunting Voldies, has always been the plan. And the story does end as A.K. jr gets his dimension hopping cherry popped.

No omakes for me, as basically you could just do new worlds as omakes. And my muse has been abused just finishing this.

Re-read and edited the last chapter a bit more. It's just we're sort of closing a chapter on A.K.'s existence up to this point by adding in a number 2, but also opening up a new one as he'll have a friend sort of for the first time. But in doing so, it doesn't feel like an end to one story and start of a next. More of just a turn in the story. Struggling to make it feel like the 'end' of a story. Maybe I'll flesh out their dialogue a bit more. Oh well. It'll get its last read-through and posting tonight, I'm 99% certain.

11. Rukri

Rukri Muggle

heh great story. Hope you keep up the great work and bringing out these great fic's

12. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I liked the final chapter. Deuce is cool character and just the right way to end the story, while leaving it open in a way. I also liked your hint about AK and boot camp - I can't help but wonder if he once a pussy cutter too?

As for the fic as whole, it's probably the best multi-dimension story in Potterverse - way better than that Lone Traveller thing. Compared to your other work, only Where in the world triology is better than this, while Lovegood is a bit worse IMO (never liked that story as much as other people did).

13. That_Boy

Good work. It had to end somewhere and that was a nice place.
    You're going to do a HP/Firefly Xover? Awesome. Got to read that

14. nonjon

Yeah, HP/Firefly is where my muse has been idling waiting on me to finish this up.

I intentionally left this wide open to sequels. Once I store up enough anger and frustrations about other cliches or genres worthy of mocking and parodying, I expect I will write another dozen or so worlds, with a bit more plot development of A.K. as well as Deuce. But that will be a sequel with a beginning and ending, all the while still not really greatly effecting the eternal never-ending background storyline of the main characters lives. If I ever get the desire to write it.

Right now, my interest in Harry Potter fanfic has been waning with the sheer massive amounts of bad cliched fanfic saturating so much of what's out there. It's at the point where the good authors aren't really doing much terribly original, they're just rehashing a few plot ideas and points that others have done before, and they're doing it better than before (i.e., S'Tarkan or Bobmin).

I'm sure I'll have more ideas later but throwing a nice likeable Harry onto the spaceship Serenity is now the plan. I think that fic is going to be written over a long period of time without my usual rush of updates. Give it a dozen or so chapters to get going before I'll let my attention be split towards another bunny that's bugging me.

Probably the other bunny that's been sitting back on a backburner for a long time is an insane!Harry fic. Not sure I've any interest in writing it, but it could be fun. Not so much dark or evil, but just insane. Not zany fun, well maybe a little zany fun, but mainly sociopathic destruction.

15. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

If anyone could write this, it's you. Sounds great.

16. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Insane!Harry.... that sounds lovely. :D

17. nonjon

Yeah, if anyone else wants to write this, be my guest, or tell me if it's been done before or sounds familiar. I don't particularly have a strong desire to write this, it's just one of those ideas that I'd like to see someone do. But I'll probably eventually do myself if no one else does.

The Insane!Harry idea sort of sprung while reading feanor's Love and Betrayal. Veela!Draco is a possible impetus, but the general gist of it is that for some reason Dumbledore is forced to put into effect some ancient laws about thralls of a prophecy. How they lose their rights and freedoms and are obligated to society. Taking steps to control the human element of the subject of a prophecy. Harry's not a big fan of it, and tries to fight it, and then, maybe the Ministry in its infinite wisdom, (or maybe Dumbledore and the Order) tries to control Harry's will. Of course they can't, but here's where it gets fun: the thralls of a prophecy lose all their rights and freedoms, but they also lose all their responsibilities. Like obeying the law. Or not killing people or things that annoy you. Could slip into a feral!Harry, or just a ridiculously manipulative and nutters Harry. One who sees Death Eaters attacking and steps to the side and waves them on. But if one of them looks at Harry funny, he may kill them all viciously. Sometimes hyper, sometimes lucid. Sometimes the most dangerous killer in existence, sometimes pretending to be a first year, just so he can do better in class. But he'd waver between how nutters he really is, how much of the old Harry there is. While he loses all the rights and things we take for granted, while they just want to keep him locked up until they can thrust him into battle with the Dark Lord.

It's an old idea, (post-OotP) but could easily be adapted for a post-HBP world. Just the Ministry discovering the prophecy, and doing stupid things.

Trying to remember what else I'd considered because I can tell I'm forgetting something as I try to describe it. But the idea was Harry becomes a thrall loses all rights, responsibilities, and inhibitions. I'd say arson at the Daily Prophet on day one is a possibility. His friends may have to try and convince Harry to help out against Voldemort because he simply doesn't care.

18. Ginny Killer 2.0

Ginny Killer 2.0 Third Year

right behind you breathing down your neck
    just finished reading it. very very funny even more so then that one askaban parody

19. noddwyd

noddwyd Third Year

hidden under the floorboards, in tiny pieces.
    heheh. I just keep picturing the locker room with the 42 Harry's, and Deuce getting shown around by their leader!Harry on his first day. Or as A.K. refers to him, Idiot # 1.

20. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Very funny. I liked the ending. The locker is a good idea.

I like the idea of A.K. running into a cracked out cokehead Harry.