1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

DLP Fantasy Football 2016-17

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by silentclock, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

Yeah, there's no probably about it. He literally did just that.

2. Rah

Rah Auror

So it's getting close to prime off season trade time. Can we get a final say on the pick order for the rookie draft? I think everyone who has a strong opinion on it has said their mind on the matter.

Also McCaffrey is going to be such a stud. And that rumored three team trade involving Romo and Cousins would be so funny if it happened.

3. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy Alchemist

John Ross broke CJ2K's 40 yard dash time... official 4.22

4. silentclock

silentclock Headmaster DLP Supporter

I guess my vote would be for the draft order to be purely based on the standings at the end of the regular season for non-playoff teams, and final playoff positioning for the playoff teams.

But I don't have a particularly strong opinion on the matter.

5. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Chief Warlock

I think that's fine for this season, since it's what we entered the season with expectation of having I think.

Can discuss a weighted thing for next season that everyone agrees on.

Not that much of anything is relevant to me because lol what are draft picks.

6. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy Alchemist

Heh, yeah. I'm not entirely sure if I have any picks left - I'm glad I won or I would be very cross.

Anyway, I agree. Go simple this season and try weights after we have a good long time to iron out kinks.

7. Rah

Rah Auror

Sounds good to me. Should we make a new thread as well?

Also Brandon Cooks to the patriots would be amazing.

8. thoriyan

thoriyan Slug Club Member

I'd stand by whatever the consensus is, so if more people chime in to support standings-based then I'll be happy to go with that.

9. Typhon

Typhon Unspeakable

I think the conversation that we need to have more is that of what we'll be doing for now on.

I'm inclined to say we do flat standings this year since that was the expectation and I don't think that does much to shift the order either way (although admittedly I'm fairly certain I have the first pick regardless, so I obviously have little at stake).

Next year, though, we'll probably need to make a weighted pot. points and standings system or set up a monitoring panel. I think league consensus is that a monitoring panel is out, so we're looking at a weighted system.

Pure pot. points is not a thing I want personally due to the fact that it leaves in the random element that keeps FF interesting in the actual season, but then takes it out for the draft. This will lead to shitty scenarios where someone is double punished (with a week loss and and a draft pick) for making a bad start/sit call. Equally pure standings doesn't really make sense without a monitoring panel, because it just takes one person not putting their best line up on the field and thereby taking a draft pick from a more deserving team to really sour the league for people trying to rebuild.

If I was doing it by myself I'd probably want something like 70-80% standings and 20-30% pot. points, because the any given Sunday feel is important to me, and putting too much emphasis on pot. points makes me worry that people will run conservative lineups instead of starting the Percy Harvins of the league, but that's purely preference. As long as it was at least 50/50 I'd be pleased with it, I think.

10. thoriyan

My argument is that it leaves in the [competitive] random element that keeps FF interesting during the actual season [i.e. owner skill/luck] and takes it out for the draft such that each team is evaluated purely on its roster for the draft. This keeps the league competitive - if you try to bring the weakest teams up, eventually the league will reach parity.

I don't buy the double punished argument as much - you should always be submitting the best possible lineup you can, despite the fact that whoever is on your bench might go off at any time. That makes winning the season entirely on you as an owner. Yes, there is some variability if you have a high-risk/high-reward player and decide to keep him on the bench - but that decision should only be made with respect to one goal, winning the week. If you do a standings-based draft order, you create two divergent goals - winning the week and getting a better draft position.

I feel that PP insulates for the one bad week by operating on a sum total over the course of the season - so the effect of one amazing week from the bench should be minimal. If you have consistent amazing weeks from the bench, you should be taking action - either start the bench player in question or trade them.

11. Rah

Rah Auror

Gilmore and Allen to the Patriots! And they're looking to trade Butler for Brandin Cooks apparently.

I think Butler is better than Gilmore but I love me some Cooks so I'd be okay with it.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  12. thoriyan

Care to put your money where your mouth is? :)

---------- Post automerged at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

Texans trade Osweiler, 2018 2nd, 2017 6th for Browns 2017 4th. Apparently a second round pick costs $16M these days, if anyone's interested...

13. silentclock

silentclock Headmaster DLP Supporter

Gotta say, I regret dealing Cooks now.

14. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy Alchemist

Gotta say, I regret dealing Thomas a bit.

Rah
  15. Rah

Rah Auror

The draft is a few days away, how do you all see the top of the draft playing out? I think Browns take Garrett and trade up to take Trubisky/Hooker/Adams.

16. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy Alchemist

I don't think they'll trade up - I think they'll gamble on Trubisky falling (if the Bears don't take him, there's a good chance IMO. Maybe the Jets) Or trade up into the late first for Pat Mahomes II.

Anyway, with Dallas, I just hope they stack defense, which they're almost certainly going to do. Most of their predraft visits were defensive players and this is one of the most stacked drafts in recent memory w.r.t. secondary and defensive lineman. Names I'm interested in are Takk McKinley, TJ Watt, Charles Harris and Taco Charlton (Taco my favorite0, both edge rushers, and Adoree Jackson, Chidobe Awuzie, Gareon Conley and Akhello Witherspoon and Kevin King speaking on corner. Safeties I like Melifonwu, Marcus Williams and Justin Evans.

I can't wait til Thursday!

17. Rah

Rah Auror

Fair enough, I'm excited the Patriots got Cooks but kind of annoyed that I don't have anything to look forward to on Thursday for them. But Hassan Reddick falling to the Lions would more than make up for it.

18. The Waco Kid

The Waco Kid Seventh Year

I dread the draft this year, b/c it means I have to watch the Giants ignore gaping holes for a BPA style that doesn't pan out frequently.

19. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy Alchemist

This draft has been interesting. The Bears paid a mint to move up one spot and the Chiefs moved up to get Mahomes II

---------- Post automerged at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

Now houston trades up for Deshaun Watson. I'm looooving this offensive run early for Dallas.

20. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I'm loving it for the Seahawks too. We need some OL to stick around late, barring that a top flight DB would be good as well.

Who am I kidding, we will trade back and maximize draft picks.