DLP gets Fit(ter) 2018

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Jjf88, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Koalas

Koalas First Year Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Found a gym that's directly on my route home from work, has made being consistent so much easier. Been hitting the same minimum 4 days a week for the past month. I've been feeling good, making gainzzz and looking better.

Unfortunately the scale hasn't really reflected that. My increased frequency/intensity of workouts has made a massive increase in my appetite which is resulting in some very stable numbers. I'm changing things up though, actually starting consistent progress pics and body measurements.

2. Xepheria

Xepheria The Benefactor

High Score:
    Man getting to fight weight sucks. Got a fight on June 12th, and so far it's not fucking pleasant.

3. Agent One

Agent One Seventh Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Have now changed my diet every day to:

Breakfast: Plain Oatmeal and a Subway Turkey Breast and Turkey Ham on 9 Grain Honey Oat.

Lunch: One Cashew Bar with dried fruits and a bag of Uncle Ben's Mexican Bean Rice.

Dinner: Two Bags of Uncle Ben's Mexican Bean Rice and a protein bar.

Throughout the day, I'd also be munching on Apple Slices and go through half a bag of unsalted almonds. I've also only been drinking water and milk since the beginning of the year.

Have also started C25K and am maintaining a pace of 10KM/h.

Unfortunately, Ramadhan is about to start and while I'm not really devout and would probably be eating in my own time, I have to make do for appearances for my family so that's going to mess up my routine a bit.

One of the areas that I do need improvement on is sleep. I can't actually remember the last time I got a full 8 hours of sleep. Just as an example, I'm posting this at nearly 3 in the morning.

4. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Minister of Magic

I used to compete at 181, and always had to do water and sodium cuts to get down to make weight. Was never much of an issue cause the USPA has 24 hr weigh ins, but still. This meet I decided to say fuck it and sign up at 198 and oh my god I'm never looking back. So much better mentally for me

5. Oz

Oz UNQUESTIONABLY THE MOST HETERO MAN IN THE WORLD Moderator DLP Supporter

Full swing into marathon training now, and my resting heart rate is hovering between 59-62bpm these days. A far cry from the 90+ it used to be.

6. Samuel Black

You marathon runners have my respect. I hate myself after 3 miles and rage quit every time I get in in my mind to train for a 10k.

7. Oz

Oz UNQUESTIONABLY THE MOST HETERO MAN IN THE WORLD Moderator DLP Supporter

I seem to enjoy tedious, repetitive, endurance exercise. I should have become an accountant.

8. Rehio

Rehio Alchemist DLP Supporter

The amount I've read while exercising hours and hours every day is ridiculous.

Up to 162 pounds. Doesn't seem to stabilizing or anything,just a steady increase, and I can't say it doesn't bother me. Not quite sure how to approach it. You'd think 2,000 calories a day + 2 and a half hours of cardio would make things even out at the very least.

Wish I could know exactly how my body was using energy. Dexa scan place I found earlier doesn't seem to be around anymore, and the new location only gives a "Sign up for pre-booking" whenever I look into it. Any other scanning services I've found around the area seem to focus on osteoporosis and such.

Not sure how to approach it.

9. Samuel Black

I'd do measurements and monthly photos. Honestly, I trust those more than any other method.

By the way, @Rehio how tall are you?

10. Rehio

Around 5'8".

Saturday'll be another day for waist measurement. Did it a few weeks ago and found that I had increased by a couple inches and decided to check back after a while. Probably been long enough to at least check in.

11. Solfege

Solfege Unspeakable DLP Supporter

That you're able to read while exercising makes me envious. What average pace are you at for 2 1/2 hours? Are you so biomechanically efficient that you've no vertical jerk in your gait? I've kept up 4-5 days per week of 6-7 miles per day, versus the two days I lift briefly, and I can't say I'm confident of maintaining steady gaze. I could be wrong, haven't tried.

When I last pulled from Lyle's review of The Biggest Loser, I focused on the likelihood that you were still on the overweight side. The other end, which I didn't mention, was that combining a ton of exercise with large caloric deficits tends to slow, not hasten, fat loss. No clear explanation why. From a Biggest Loser participant that he spoke with:

That was anecdotal, but Lyle has noted the same independently, over the years. His likeliest explanation is an accelerated drop in metabolic rates.

I've no idea how this bears on your risk of fat gain. It may be worth investigating that (assuming you're still not just retaining water/bloating from hormonal changes/stress) you may not be accounting for a depressed metabolism versus a decreased cardio load. How stable were you before you downsized, and for how long?

There could be a dietary issue at play. There may be a specific food for you that disproportionately triggers a fat storage pathway? I'm no expert here, just throwing out a suggestion, but the most potent signal for triglyceride deposit direct to adipocytes isn't insulin, which plays a more complicated role than is usually acknowledged, but the presence of acylation stimulating protein (ASP). There are ~3 major pathways we know of that ASP can be generated, and studies in mice correlate ASP-deficiency with significantly greater leanness.

May be you're one of the rare 5% with a real gluten allergy?

Or your meal prep isn't as on point as you thought? If there's a chance of that, feel free to set up a meal diary for a bit, just snap photos daily and we can try to eyeball with you.

===============

For reference, I'm 5'8'' and used to stick around 150-155lbs back in my high school running days, ~15% fat. I maintained that even without consistent exercise until I started lifting and overdid my caloric intake, hitting 175 within 1.5-2 years. I'm 178ish now, and working to get down to 169 the slow way, targeting 1lb per week, at which I'll be back to ~15%. Then it's Stage 2 to cut another 5lbs for 12%.

How do I measure if it's fat and not muscle I lose? So long as I don't lose significant strength on lift days, I can roughly correlate.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  12. silentclock

silentclock Headmaster DLP Supporter

Has anybody tried the keto diet? It's something I'm looking in to, but it sounds almost too easy.

13. Solfege

Solfege Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Keto works best if you've low insulin sensitivity and high secretion levels. Genetically gifted bodybuilders are the complete opposite, traditionally dieting best on high-carb low-fat diets. Quite a few people here have used keto - I myself did a stint last year, am favorably disposed to it (since I have shit genes). Eilyfe and Gio have been on it this year, if you go to Page 1, Jjf88 comments on how it's just another way to achieve a calorie deficit.

You can also cycle keto or do some form of moderate keto, depends on what your goals are.

14. Samuel Black

@Rehio

For reference, I'm 5'10 and 195. Carrying a bit more fat than I would like but I'll cut it after the meet.

Do you have an instagram or anything? If you want, set up a private one and dm me your username. I and @Solfege can try to give advice over this, but I would feel a bit more secure in that advice if I could see progress photos or meal prep plans, exercise logs, etc.

My honest opinion is that it'll probably stabilize over the next few months, and if it doesn't, there may be some underlying medical condition that I'm not even going to try to comment on.

15. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I've lost 29 pounds since Feb. 1st, mainly by just walking a lot and maintaining around an 1800 a day caloric intake, but it's definitely slowed down quite a bit. My doctor says to me "so I imagine you're seeing the loss rate slow down quite a bit now - your body tends to not like to lose 20%+ of its mass without trying to hang on to some of it as a defense mechanism." Sounds like this could be the something in the same vein, really. Jjf88 said something like this to me a few months ago in this very thread too, looking back.

re: keto diet - I tried this last year, and while it worked marginally well, I think the fact that there are really only five things I don't like to eat on the planet was the killer for me - just too many things you can't eat on it for my taste. Also, I was tired constantly while trying it. I've done much better just not eating like a fucking idiot the way I used to, but there are people out there that absolutely swear by it. As my doc says, the hardest part of losing weight reliably and sustainably is finding something you will stick with, and not have to fight the impulse to quit because you're miserable.

16. Rehio

So, I took some time to try and get accurate waist measurements that I could trend a bit.

The weight has kiiinda stabilized around 162? Couldn't tell you why, but maybe it has. Still baffles me a bit. I made sure to not change anything but my exercise amount. Ate the same exact meals for years before, stayed the same after. Hell, I haven't even had birthday cake in 7 years or something. Weight still went up, even though that was the only change to my routine.

Anyway, that's just me griping cause I still can't figure that shit out.

Waist-size hasn't changed at all over this time, even with the weight going up.

So.. muscle? One could only hope that's the case.

---

Anyway, something neat today. Treadmill broke, but luckily the warranty is nice to me, so someone came to fix the motor. While the guy was here, he checked out the elliptical I lost all the weight on. Wanted to see if we could dig in and find statistics or something.

Total Miles: 55,178.
    Total Time: 44,191. Five years.

Jesus.

17. Imariel

Imariel Order Member DLP Supporter

Finally starting to get fit again after a huge slump at the start of law school. Started hitting the gym last summer and kept a good 3 d/w at the beginning with some cardio on the side. Now, a year later I'm pulling 5 days a week (7 since term ended), I'm seeing my abs again and developed a good bit of muscles. Currently sitting at 84 kg (185 pounds), still 6 kg away from target weight, 90 kg (200 pounds).

Problem has been that I've been static for the last couple of months, suspect lack of calories somehow. Added one more meal a day last week, which makes it four full meals. If that doesn't get me over the hump I'm stumped.

18. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 Prestige

High Score:
    I've been losing weight for a few years now. At my heaviest, I got up to 286. At 5'11 that isn't healthy at all, even with a large frame. Yesterday, I weighed in at 229.7. For, I found a few different things helped. The first was to only lose weight for a season. So, I'd pick sometime in the spring or early summer to drop between 10-20 pounds. Then, the rest of the year, I'd just focus on keeping the weight off. While I'm still doing that, lately, I'm increasing the amount of weight I want to lose.

The trick (or key) I found, however, was not to diet, and not to tremendously increase my exercise. The second is because I know it isn't a lifestyle I can keep up, as much as I want to. The first is because I know I'm bound to put the weight back on once I stop whatever diet I was doing. Instead, I went online and just found one of the calorie count websites that I liked.

I put in all of my activity for each day and everything I eat during the day. Right now, I'm trying to lose 2 pounds a week. So, I put that in there as well. When the counter says I have no more calories for the day, I stop eating. Or, I go and do something to burn calories so I can eat more. This way, if I want to have Nutter Butter cookies or pizza or Oreos or whatever, I just eat it and then put in the calories. The interesting thing is, I'm finding I don't want to eat them as much because I want to spread my calories out over the day more.

I'm not denying cardio or exercise is good. I just know that I am not one that will continue it on my own for very long. That said, my wife and I have started walking during the summers, but that's because it's pretty much the only way I get out into the sun and get the vitamin K I need. It does, however, give me a boost in calories to eat, and I'm almost up to two miles.
    --- Post automerged ---
    What's your frame size and body type? Ectomorph? Endomorph? Some people, no matter how strong they are, just can't put on muscle weight.