1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Improvement Thread V2: Electric Boogaloo

Discussion in 'DLP Feedback and Improvement' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Apr 11, 2017.

1. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you're looking for a sort of 'author prestige', maybe it'd be simpler for there to be a 'badge' or some other marker that mods could append to people's avatars/ranks/names to signify that the author has DLP acclaim.

2. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well yes, that badge is what I was talking about. The idea behind it is to encourage people to post more to reach these different goals.

Though I'll admit, ScottPress has a point with the difficulty aspect of implementing it.

3. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I think DLP needs a new look, a new brand. While we're all Harry Potter fans, the fandom is not as active as it used to be. Changing the name from Dark Lord Potter to DLP, even if technically it means the same thing, might attract more people from other fandoms. The look itself has been the same since, what, 2000? Might want to revamp it, make it more modern.

As for the forum itself, we might need to bring in a new purpose. There was talk of a podcast a long time ago. We had the anthology that lasted a few years as well but never did take off quite as much as we'd like I presume. But all of these things don't actually change the forum. What about a new homepage with a monthly "Best Fanfic of the Month"? Perhaps some sort of blog? Make Scryer an even more integral part of DLP's architecture.

4. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Could be determined by the word count on ff.net - a few hundred words here and there for author notes won't make much of a difference.

The onus could be on the author to claim their badge. Submit a word count and proof (screenshot from ff.net or whatever) and be awarded the badge.

My updates (shut up, I know it's been awhile) always go from WbA to ff.net.

5. Seratin

High Score:
    That's what the Project DLP skin is for.

I'll second Revan's multiquote request as it just makes sense for ease of use. I post mostly from mobile now and it'd be a help.

Joe The onus could be put on the author rather than an automated system, yes but not everyone posts up on FF.net. I was thinking more DLP contained.

EDIT: Or to have the word count ratified have it confirmed by posting to Patronuscharm.

This leads to another suggestion actually. Patronuscharm in its current form is unreadable on mobile. The background is far too light and the font colour too pale. It's a struggle to make out words at times.

I think I might have brought this up before but having a post button in wba that allows you to choose a post and upload it as a chapter to PatronusCharm would be epic. You're finished with your edits, the community has helped you iron out the wrinkles, you post the revised version and tick a check box that can also upload it as a chapter to PC.

I really don't know how feasible that is though. :/

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  6. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I legitimately had no idea. That's pretty neat.

I went looking through the FAQ to see if I'd missed anything else. Things I noticed:

• the User Titles explanation needs to be updated. For instance, it says that with my 683 posts I should be Minister of Magic, while I'm just an Auror.
    • Threaded/Hybrid Modes exist. I don't think I've ever used those, so I'm wondering if anyone else did.
    • Reputation doesn't exist anymore, yet it's still in the FAQ.

7. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I'm talking complete overhaul of the look, and not just a change of banner.

8. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What do you find wrong with DLP green? I actually think it's not just nice-looking, it's even good for your eyes, inasmuch as a screen is good for you. Compare to FFN/Reddit, even YT, where white dominates. The green is soothing. My eyes don't start watering if I browse the site.

I actually think a new top of the page banner could be a cool new addition.

As for DLP standing for Dark Lord Potter... How often do you actually see people using the full name? Even outside DLP itself, like r/HPfanficion, we're referred to as DLP. DLP doesn't need a new brand, DLP is the brand. Like, it's literally a brand, what with the anthologies. DLP has a legacy of more than a decade at this point. How many other forums that began with HP are still around? DLP is in its 13th year and still going strong because it expanded the scope and didn't stagnate. This very thread is testament to that.

I like Joe's idea re: WBA badge.

Does anyone actually use Patronus Charm? I think I'm registered there, but I logged in a couple times and forgot about it. I say either make it a massive effort, promote it as the DLP hosting archive, or scrap it. Maybe I'm completely out of touch, though. Authors, raise yer hands. Who updated something on PC in the last year?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  9. Seratin

High Score:
    I agree 100% with you on every point except that personally, I'd rather see a concentrated effort to encourage posting on PC than scrapping it. A combination of the author achievement badges, direct from wba posting and a more screen friendly look would help imo.

I know Raven wanted a certain amount of distance between DLP and PC but damn that DLP green is nice to read on.

10. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    To be honest, based on my own browsing experience, I don't have a whole lot to complain about. Just two things really.

- Ignore whole subforums.
    - Make Project DLP the default and get rid of the cringey Anakin/Harry photoshop.

There's probably some pruning that could be done too, but I'd have to dedicate some time to go through and find it.

11. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

Being able to subscribe to a thread and only get notified from when the OP posts or rather just being able to put any user name in their and get notified when they reply.

12. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    DLP Green is so nice and so unique. It must never disappear.

And I actually like DLP Harrikin Banner. It's an old friend at this point.

I do like ignoring whole subforums.

And if one day italics and bold would transfer as copy-paste I would be so happy.

But otherwise, it's one of the best forum aestetics/functionality I've ever been through.

13. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Would there be any merit to giving Quest threads tools they could use? I know it's not the most popular section of the forum, so it may not be worth the effort for such a small quality of life thing, but -

Voting options that get tied into the post itself, maybe? Allowing a user to just click a response in a poll-like function that the author lays out on each update.

14. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Keeping it green is fine, but we should at least try to update the forums looks because the community always needs new members to keep the numbers up, and we don't want people seeing the aged design and leaving by habit.

15. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I must not be up to date with the latest message board trends. What's aged about DLP's look? Should we try a more 4Chan style? A little greentext? You came here last year and stuck around.

16. Seratin

High Score:
    DLP itself looks fine. Better than fine actually, the forum looks fantastic.
    Ryz, I can't believe you're making me say this but...

Progress for progresses sake must be discouraged.

17. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Threaded mode itself shows just one post with a Bookmark Tree above it showing who talked to who, which relies on quoting I believe. Hybrid is a combo of the Tree and Linear Mode, with your default amount of posts per page.

18. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

A good mobile theme.

19. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

While the current theme is fine, it'd be nice to have other colors as an option.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Seratin

High Score:
    Eww.

/Tenchar