1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Library Idea

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by MoltenCheese, Oct 5, 2015.

1. MoltenCheese

MoltenCheese Seventh Year

So, I've been going through the Library for the last couple of months, and I've noticed that a few stories haven't aged well. For example, this.

This story probably deserves a 2/5 or less by modern standards, as it features Manipulative!Dumbledore, Weasley Bashing, overly helpful Goblins, etc. But it is in the library (Recycling Bin to be more precise, but still in the library) because it has not had a review since 2006. Similarly, there are hundreds of stories that haven't had a review for more than five years. So, while many of them aren’t up to modern standards, they're still in the Library.

Here are some statistics:
    Number of Stories that have not been reviewed since 2005: 5
    Since 2006: 115
    Since 2007: 170
    Since 2008: 217
    Since 2009: 256
    Since 2010: 117

Of course, many of these stories are good quality fics that deserve to be in the Library. However, there are some stories like the one mentioned above that haven’t aged well and doesn’t really deserve to be in the Library by modern standards.

Since DLP’s number one aim is quality, I think we should fix this. An idea I have is to put an "Inspection" sub-forum within the review board for stories like these. In that sub-forum, DLP'ers could place old stories from the Library for inspection and see if they are still good by modern standards. If this is actively promoted, I think it could really help polish the library.

And maybe, there could be a new category in the Library called “Honorable Mentions” that display stories that 1) used to be in the Library, but was subsequently removed for one reason or another, 2) are considered as classics or 3) had a huge impact on the HP fandom. That way, the history/significance of the story would be preserved, even if it is removed.

Another idea I had was “recycling” trashed stories that were rejected for submission. It doesn’t necessarily have to do with putting the story back in the library, but for discussion and looking up past reviews of stories that have been rejected.

I understand that both policies might be abused by some people/trolls, but I think with proper guidelines and restrictions, it could work.

This is just an idea I thought might help the DLP community as a whole. What do you think?

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The idea seems overly complicated. There's no need to move threads around to rate and review old fics. The same aim could be achieved just by having a "Library Clean-up" thread where each day/week/whatever members are directed towards a particular old fic and encouraged to rate it.

3. MoltenCheese

MoltenCheese Seventh Year

That could work too. The method doesn't really matter as long as the problem is fixed. But I sort of feel like there are too many stories in the library just to make one thread to clean it up though.

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not that I'm opposed to this, but the general idea of a Library clean-up has been brought up a few times in the last 2 years and each time it ended on the point that at one time, these stories were considered good enough to be included in the Library and a clean-up wouldn't be taking place.

Things get old, things get eclipsed by better stuff. Crysis used to make graphic-obsessed people cum in their underwear, then other games took the crown. By newer standards old stuff may be bad, but that doesn't automatically mean it's bad by any standards, it means that standards evolved.

Look, I'm with you in spirit, but consider the logistics of it. Would you be willing to spend your free time reading and reviewing shit stories just to come to the obvious conclusion that they're shit and should be removed from the Library? I certainly have better things to do. Good luck finding volunteers.

I say let that shit be and submit new, good stories for review.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  5. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I'm all for clean-up, but I also realize it wouldn't really be feasible. I, for one, have no interest in reading through hundreds of extremely aged fanfics from 2005-2007. I could see maybe separating the library further, such has having an archive section where a lot of the outdated stories can go. But, if we're talking about resetting the star ratings on the actual stories themselves, and re-rating them with full knowledge that they're going to be bad, that seems like a lot of effort, and at the end of it, the library would only have like 50 stories instead of {however many there are}.

6. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

7. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

That.

These are the stories really in need of some reviews. And once someone reviews an age old thread, other people will follow and review / rate the same thread.
    MoltenCheese: If you find something that didn't age well, review it properly and rate it.

yak
  8. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    While I think it's a good idea, it means going back and reading all these old crappy fics.

No thanks.

9. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Maybe we should lock and stock the current library and start over leaving this one in place so if we need to find something we can look back at it but otherwise we work to create a new library.

Essentially we hold on to the current library for being antique but buy new shelves for the newer books/fics.

10. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh. Port them all into individual antiquated sub-forums within the respective areas? Hm. I mean a part of me likes the thought but still, changing the library still bothers me.

11. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

The problem with that is that there's a reasonable number of stories that are still decent by our standards now. Sticking them all in another section probably shouldn't happen.

12. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    Yeah. And going through to sort them all out just doesn't need to be done. I'm happy with the system as it is now.

13. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Mmm. Okay I'll give you guys a bit of a hint as to something we were planning.

The Staff were going to organize a 'HP Through the Years' series where every week we'd pick a year and post a selection of fics that were published during it for you guys to review.

We were going to have you guys vote for the best reviews per thread and the winners would earn points and... you get the idea. ;)

Is that something you'd all be interested in?

14. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    Huh. I'd be tentatively interested, yes.

15. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Honestly not sure if I'd have time to do something like that every week. But would I be interested in it, in general? Yep.

16. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'll second that.

17. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It'd be interesting for those 2am times when I'm bored and just clicking through threads hoping something updates.

18. Darth V

Darth V First Year DLP Supporter

I think that's an amazing ideia. I often wondered about this "problem" and this sounds like an amazing solution. :)

19. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I feel you. Every time the library has changed it's physically hurt me. I know it hasn't happened that often, but there's been a substantial change to the library structure...3? 4? times. Each time has properly hurt.

20. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Odd place to put a suggestion, but what about having a seperate section for stories removed from the DLP library? Complete with previous ratings etc.

While the old stories may not be up to our standards anymore, it'd still be nice to have a record of where we've come from. Just a random thought.