1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Not a Problem Do the rules need clarification?

Discussion in 'Site Related Support' started by Jon, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I'm currently in the middle of cleaning up/clarifying some of the rules of DLP and ensuring that they are easily accessible. Are there any rules that any of you feel that need to be clarified/stated?

Things on my list:

1. WbA, How to access and what it is for.
    2. What constitutes a 'bad post' and the punishment for.
    3. Consolidate all forum into in 'Rules'.

Any suggestions at this point before I get into the thick of it would be brilliant.

2. dveth

dveth Squib

I think the biggest problem is consolidation of the rules. There's not any rules that I feel need true clarification outside of what's on your list already, but there's been a time or two when I came across a specific forum post that mentioned a rule I didn't see on the rules tab.

The specific rule refers to 'necroposting'. The post I saw stated that it's heavily frowned upon outside of true reviews posted to the library. This is mentioned in some places, but the rules don't seem very clear unless you search through the forum for it. If all of the rules concerning the entire site were consolidated on the rules tab, and addendums and changes to the rules posted in the forum were reflected with changes to that tab, I think it would be a lot easier for newcomers to the site to understand them.

3. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The problem with consolidating all the rules into one forum is that people will skim like fuck and end up breaking them. Not cool but that's how it is.

The current system is good. If you want to post in a specific forum then read the rules of that forum. If not, its your own fault for getting banhammered.

4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I disagree with this. The rules are not exactly hard to find right now, but they feel quite scattered. There's maybe 3 different rule threads on Announcements alone, all of which contain relevant information.

I feel like making it easier for new people to read the rules on a site they still don't know how to navigate very well would only be positive for everyone involved.

It would make revisiting rules for older members easier, too.

tl;dr: Condense the rules, make them all readable from the same place and point to that place wherever the rules are relevant or just make it really, really visible on the front page. Having all the rules together doesn't matter if someone new might have issues finding it.

5. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

6. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Yeah, that's the one I'd be touching up. I might even turn it into a submenu with sections for different types of rules.

7. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Well, these rules seem to have fallen out of use as far as I can tell.

8. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

... I will still bitchslap anyone who posts retarded ass pagebreaking pics or spams a thread with like 10 in a row. So, no, that rule is entirely valid. Except maybe for the spam forum.

Jon: Definitely link the FAQ thread in announcements, or directly incorporate it into the rules.

And as far as consolidating the rules go, the obvious thing is to have general rules in general places, and specific (additional) rules in specific places. That's a no-brainer, and that's how anyone would expect it to be organised. That could be noted in the general rules, however.

9. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

I know I've seen images with a height >500, so that could be either removed or more enforced. The latter seems needless pedantic.

As for the number of images, 10 is still greater than 2. So that could do with some amending or clarification. Also noting which subforums are considered spam.

Gifs are also posted quite often and never removed as far as I can tell.

10. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Above all, I think the general rules tab needs to be more visible. I got a sig infraction for not knowing about the 5 lines of text limit, which is in the rules.

Now, I'm not saying it wasn't my fuck because it was. I just never really saw the tab, it's tiny, easy to miss.

I agree with Rep that some announcement threads are scattered. Would be nice to have the general, forum-wide stuff all together, while specific subforum stuff could be in the Stickies. Though some of those Sticky threads are scattered too.

Also clear up shitposting and, like dveth said, necroposting.