Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by EsperJones, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    A breezy enough slice of Christmas entertainment with a solid emotional wallop at the end, but nothing amazing. I did like the regeneration scene though, that was very well done.

2. EsperJones

EsperJones Death Eater

Yeah, I enjoyed it.

The ring falling off at the end was an interesting touch. Looks like the next head writer (don't remember if it was announced) is getting a completely clean slate.

3. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Next showrunner is Chris Chibnall - lots of Torchwood, Broadchurch, and various middling to good episodes of Doctor Who (42, The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood two parter, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship and The Power of Three).

4. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I'm... not impressed.

5. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I enjoyed it well enough. As much as I dislike recastings of any sort, David Bradley is without a doubt an excellent Hartnell impersonator. He was just absolutely brilliant.

The rest of the ep was average.

I could see the bit of Lethbridge-Stewart fanservice with the Captain coming from miles away and Bill/Clara/Nardole's return felt fairly hollow given that none of them were actually there.

Capaldi's regen scene was basically a truncated copy paste of Tennant's, which was very Safey McSafe-Choice.

6. Sorrows

Sorrows High Inquisitor Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It has its stand out moments, the first doctor was brilliant realised though I'd wish there was more plot to interspace the old doctor disapproves of new developments gags. The ending was of course emotional though it was easy to guess where they were going from the setup. The whole thing time-warped it's way up it's own arse, I can't imagine getting anything out of it on its own terms. His final soliloquy just went on and on and on.

Still finally we are getting a fresh take. Here's hoping it will be good.

7. Inquisition

Inquisition Canadian Ambassador to Japan DLP Supporter

"Middling to good"?

Anyway. I watched this dreck.

You can see when the writers' heads disappear up their own asses. It's like watching someone vomit on a vulture picking at a road accident.

I think the characterization was the most horrendous part. The 1st Doctor is from the '60s, not a product of it. Instead they shit on his character, making him out to be Tumblr Enemy No. 1. And of course, CURRENT YEAR Doctor has to bang on about how that's simply not acceptable. You tell those bastards from the '60s! Also subtle was Bill ensuring that everyone knew she was into women. Wow, that's super progressive you guys... with all the subtlety of a megaphone hitting you in the face. The lesbians I know chew more carpet than scenery.

Another Lethbridge-Stewart, again. Nicholas Courtney is dead, you had your chance; stop name-dropping for fuck's sake. Is every god damn person in the military related to him?

I hate how everyone shows up at the end. They're fucking dead, get over it and move on. Paul McGann didn't have anyone show up, he drank his little toast to them. Nobody sauntered onto the screen, Daphne Ashbrook didn't get a cameo, I never expected her to and that was demonstrably fine. Instead it's a reunion show from a late '80s sitcom. Fuck right off.

Chibnall has one chance, and I have this sneaking suspicion that it'll be painfully heavyhanded and preachy.

8. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Yep.

/filler

9. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

Thank fucking christ Moffat is gone. No idea how Chibnall will do, but if he manages to somehow out-shit Moffat he should probably be given some sort of prize.

I feel like Moffat has never understood that brevity can lend to an emotional punch. Dragging out this goodbye for so long really steals momentum from it. At some point I'm left just wishing Capaldi will hurry up and die already so the terrible monologue ends. Also am desperately hopeful that Chibnall's vision of the Doctor is less angsty -- "Oh, I outlive everyone, and oh, it's just too much to bear, and I'm so torn and conflicted and I just want to die" -- fuck off with that already. Once again, a case where using this emotional punch only occasionally would make it feel powerful, but using it constantly makes it ridiculous.

Also totally agree on the characterization of the first Doctor being complete shit and making no in-universe sense. Sad because that actor actually out-Doctored Capaldi when they were both onscreen in my opinion -- up until they had him say something super sexist for no reason.

Final thought: seems kind of dumb to start the career of 13 this way. It's clear enough that the TARDIS was damaged by the regeneration and that's why she fell, but it seems like this leaves some really low-hanging fruit for people looking for reasons to hate her.