1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Heleor, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    ^ This. When he was good, he was damn good. It's just that when he was bad, he was oh so bad. Moffat hasn't written a bad episode yet (IMO), but he hasn't written as many as Davies either. Not that have been broadcast, anyway.

Although it must be said that Moffat is better than good-Davies anyway.

2. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

I think Davies could write emotional scenes like Bad Wolf Bay and such but I love Matt's potential with Moffat as the writer.

3. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

So glad that Moffat has taken over! This episode was such a good start to a series that I have no complaints at all. Little Amy having to wait 12 years, and then another 2 years was my favorite parts. It gives her a legitimate reason for her Doctor obsession and willingness to travel with him. Everyone only had good things to say about Matt being 11, so I went into the episode with complete faith in him and I think he knocked it out of the park. I saw lots of flashes of 10 in him and I'm glad something stuck after the regeneration, which is fine by me.

Now if we can never see the Daleks and the Cybermen again I will completely be on board with this season, but I already see from the preview that's not the case. If Moffat can bring back Jenny and give us another episode like Blink then all will be forgiven.

It's sad but I'm already liking Amy more than Rose.

4. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

I'm still on the fence, but I think Matt Smith could actually end up being a worthy successor to the magnificent David Tennant. A lot of it will be down to how Steven Moffat and his team handle the writing for this series The guy who wrote Blink running the whole series? That could mean something amazing.

From what I've read they wanted to re-introduce the Mondas Cybermen, but BBC budget cuts forced them to re-use the old 'Cybusmen' costumes. Sucks, but I'm just glad we still get new Who.

5. frodrick

frodrick Slug Club Member

I'm hoping for a season finale that Isn't on Earth, or involving Earth in any way shape or form. Something resembling this line should be involved.

"Well, no it doesn't affect Earth in the slightest. Got a problem with that?"

6. Inquisition

Inquisition Canadian Ambassador to Japan DLP Supporter

Like what, exactly. For the most part, we saw him lying down asleep. He got up, used the sonic screwdriver, and went back to sleep. And then he did his Who-Am-I monologue, went outside, got his hand cut off, grew a new one, and got his new outfit.

Please enlighten me which Christopher Ecclestonian mannerisms apply.

This must be some new definition of the word 'epic' that I am unaware of.

Out of nowhere, he broke character (the script told him to, but it was still completely contrary to his character), saved ONE FUCKING PERSON, and when she shot herself because she was suffering from PTSD (and because she saw the script and knew the ending was terribad), he became a complete pussy.

You must have enjoyed 28.8K modems. "All these people having to wait 12 minutes and then another 2 minutes are my favourite parts." Also,

12 + 2 = 14.

They even did the math for you at the end of the episode.

Ever heard of spontaneity?

I hope it goes away. He's supposed to be gone, and cleverly alluded to out of the blue in the middle of nowhere.

The fact that this is the only thing I (sort of) agree with from your post does not bode well for you. Also, the Daleks and the Cybermen are fine - when there's actual death involved. I am getting really irritated with 'Everybody Lives' [series one, episode ten] motif we've been getting. I don't expect Kill Bill, but I want SOMEBODY to die. Jesus Christ.

She's busy. Being FUCKING HOT. Oh, and nailing David Tennant. Now you really wish you were him.

It's really sad that you like Rose.

7. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

I never watched a full episode of Doctor Who in my life, but I knew the basics, and with a new Doctor in town, I shrugged my shoulders and said, "Why the hell not?" It was pretty cool and I got a few good laughs and surprising little moments. The little montage at the end sold me on watching the rest of the current series. Might consider going back and checking out the 9th and 10th Doctors, but that may ruin my liking of our current incarnation. Either or, an entertaining hour of television.

8. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

Did the math for you maybe. I'm pretty sure I had it right the first time. Since, I was talking about continuity within a TV show and not real life. Good try though.

9. Inquisition

You seem to have no idea how math works.

10. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

I'm not getting your point man. I get that she waited 14 years combined, but she met him again after 12 years and then had to wait 2 more years for him to return after he left.

11. Everetza

Everetza Second Year

Inquisition's point is that he is a douche who is too lazy to find something legitimately wrong with anyone's post.

12. Inquisition

Yes. Now that I've let you win the argument, shut the fuck up and get back in the kitchen.

Edit: When I first read it, I thought the whole point of your enjoyment of the 14 years was forcing and drawing out the "relationship"s development (ie, seeing how meeting him 12 years ago has affected her growing up, and the anticipation of the fact that you know they'll meet again and Amy's agony over the mysterious man who disappeared after promising her literally the universe and not delivering [the fact that she doesn't know they'll meet again]).

Now my point is this: I can increase my post count by being all conservative and defending an issue that was never really brought up in the first place. Also, there was no real need to have the twelve and two separate. Just say 14 and be done with it.

I like cake.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  13. Onii

Onii Slug Club Member

I must admit I am really liking the new season.

14. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

The story definitely had the same 'flavour' as Moffat's previouse episodes.

I had two gripes with it though:

1) the little girl seemed incredibly under used, she helped introduce the episode and then just kind of hung around.

2) He is fine on the eccentric bit, but I've yet to see this doctor deliver a line with any intensity or raw emotional feeling. All through his 'nothing human should talk to me today' bit at the end, all I was thinking was 'Tennent could have delivered that line so much better' ditto on the 'just me left' bit. I know the intensity was one of the characteristics of Tennents doctor, but I am just yet to be convinced by this guys heavy emotional bits.

They aren't large problems, just little things that bothered me and the story had a good bit of flair and emotional barrage which seems to be Moffets thing. I just keep getting the feeling that Tennent could have/has handled his twisty mind fuck stories better, it will take a few more episodes to convince me that this new guy is anything better than O.K.

15. Sir Chris

Sir Chris First Year

That may be just a bit unfair, though. Tennant wasn't some random actor they pulled off the street, he was an amazing actor. Dude played Hamlet, that is kind of an 'enough said' on that. I am pleased with what I've seen so far because he isn't quite like Tennant, and that's good. I don't think Tennant's Doctor would have acted so harshly in such an emotional manner about humanity, and that made it feel different in a good way.

But yeah, I loved Tennant, and he will be missed, but Smith seems to be doing a great job, even if it feels weird.

16. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Tennant is a tough act to follow, true, but I think Smith's doing a great job so far. Lady Sorrows, I felt the same way about Tennant at first - it wasn't until 'Girl in the Fireplace' that he did anything that Christopher Ecclestone couldn't do just as well. And I actually quite liked the less intense discussion about being the last of the Timelords. Makes a change from all the angsting over it we've had recently, and it shows character progression, suggesting he's getting over it. Or a lack of talent, depending on your view, I suppose.

Anyway, I enjoyed the episode, but did have a couple of niggles. The girl on the monitor, talking about the beast below as the ginger kid got dropped down the chute: who/what was that? Seemed a bit out of place with the rest of the episode, and was never seen or mentioned again. And when did Amy record that message? I assume that she watched the film, recorded the message, and then chose forget - but then why would she have been able to watch it again. Or am I just being thick?

17. kevo125

kevo125 Second Year

Personally i liked the two new episodes. I preferred the first one mostly cause the end montage made me really enjoy it. The plot twist at the end of the second was cool but obvious. I cant wait for more episodes. And so far I like the new doctor. Not better than David Tennant but i like him in a different way. Mostly cause its a change from Tennant's not wanting to die thing and this new guy, new face, new person in a way.

18. Everetza

Everetza Second Year

The new episode had an amazing plot as I anticipated, much better than the first episode. The ending of finding out the whale-like-thing was there of it's own free will was good. I've always liked how Moffat almost gives the feeling of each episode being a mini-movie; he has the whole emotional range, loads of twists and some scary bits in each episode. So the writing was brilliant.

I didn't even mind the acting until the end. Then, I was literally asking myself 'What the fuck? This is a joke, right?'. The doctor had some great lines about the 3 choices... and the new guy said them like he was discussing the weather, or a bit anxious about getting to work on time. You're old and powerful, mate, you can still have emotion! Not to mention this Doctor seems overall condescending and bitter. I'm starting to get the feeling I'd enjoy it more if I watched it in mute while reading the script for the emotional bits. Maybe that's jumping the gun, but I was severly disappointed. Why did Tennant have to leave before this season? A mix of Tennant and Moffat would have made an entire season of Doctor Who classics!

19. Hello

Hello Professor

Does anyone know where I can watch the episodes before they come out on DVD in the US?

20. Onii

Onii Slug Club Member

Google it, that's what i did and a site will pop up with streaming.