1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

WIP Double Cross by LacksCreativity - T - Worm/Dresden

Discussion in 'Other Review Board' started by Rhys, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

Title: Double Cross
    Author: LacksCreativity
    Rating: T (No official rating provided, but Spacebattles-safe)
    Fandoms: Worm / The Dresden Files
    Genre: Action / Mystery
    Words: 55k
    Status: Work in Progress, chapters updating regularly Tuesday/Friday

Link: https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/double-cross-worm-dresden-files.551909/

This is a fic with a simple premise in many ways, but one with angles rarely explored these days in the Worm fandom and with very good execution. During the Echidna fight, Skitter gets crossovered into the Dresden universe, and shenanigans ensue. So far, the story is entirely first-person-Skitter and the narrative reads a lot like Worm does, in a good way. I know a lot less about the Dresden fandom than the Worm one, but all the Dresden stuff seems Dresden-y enough to me.

For those of you drowning in a sea of alt-power Taylor crying out to see good old fashioned classic era Skitter again, this is the fic for you. For those of you looking for an action-packed Worm/Dresden cross, this is the fic for you. For those of you who fucking hate interludes, this is the fic for you (so far).

Some people might recognize the author from the much older and longer (1 mil+) A Cloudy Path. I gave up on Cloudy a while ago, but in my opinion in this new fic we see both improved quality and something that emphasizes the author's strengths better. After seeing more than 50k of this I'm entirely sold.

2. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage Prestige

High Score:
    It's pretty solid. I like that Dresden and Skitter mistrust each other/hold things back, there is that constant tension/being outclassed in mortal peril that both series have and it is most definitely not, at least so far, Dresden rescuing Taylor and then lecturing her. That said, didn't quite like Molly's rant at Skitter but it guess it depends on what comes after it.

So yeah, worth checking out at least.

3. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

Here's my 2 cents:
    Grammar: Solid, and Lacks does seem to have a beta reader, which helps a lot. 4/5
    Prose: Above average for the SB/SV crowd. Very readable, even by DLP standards. Taylor's voice is quite well handled. 4/5
    Characterization: Well, there are a few issues. Skitter is fairly well characterized, but the Dresden Files side of the crossover is a bit hit or miss. Harry geeking out over a world of super heroes is neat. Butters and Molly were a bit off, though. Molly in particular was grating. We also haven't met many of the Dresden cast, which given the length is worrying. 3.5/5
    Plot: Here's where I think Lacks has the biggest issue, over all. Almost 60k words, and we're still not clear as to what the plot is, other than Hunt the Wendigos. It's entertaining enough for me to keep reading, but this is a weakness of the story. 3/5

14.5/20, averaged to 3.68/5 but I'll round up to 4/5 since I figure that once things get into motion it will improve, much like Lacks' other work.