1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dragon Age fanfics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by MonkeyEpoxy, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Alexeij

Alexeij Second Year

High Score:
    Requiem
    by: Setrus
    Blessed are they who stand before The corrupt and the wicked and do not falter. Blessed are the peacekeepers, the champions of the just. Dragon Age Inquisition retold like the stories before it.
    Dragon Age - Rated: M - English - Fantasy/Adventure - Chapters: 17 - Words: 62,192 - Reviews: 88 - Favs: 34 - Follows: 37 - Updated: Sep 28, 2015 - Published: Jan 11, 2015 - Blackwall, Josephine M., Trevelyan

This is the last book of Setrus' DA retelling, which I can recommend in its entirety. The author has a penchant for diverging from canon while mantaining the general storyline and at the same time explores minor characters the games and most authors usually skip over. Also, a warning: major characters can and do die.

The first book, From Dirt, is much more romantically oriented than Requiem, with Chains of Blood playing the middle ground. I'd recommend reading them all before tackling Requiem, as there are some major changes from canon, but the author wrote a small paragraph at the beginning of the first chapter summarizing the major ones you need to know so far.

From what I can tell, the author has a good grasp on grammar and the narration proceeds quite smoothly, with its ups and downs.

Granted, the Inquisitor here is F!Trevelyan, but Anna is a very original, if at times unlikeable character in the sea of Cullen/Solas fangirls.

Don't worry about the long 'hiatus': it has happened before with Chains of Blood, then in a couple of months he caught up and finished the story.

I give this one in particular a 4.5/5 only because it's still in the beginning arc of the story (just arrived at Val Royeaux)

2. fire

fire Order Member

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6432590/1/Mistakes

Basically Maric learns of Alistair's shit life at Redcliffe and naturally chooses to take him back in.

Disclaimer: I've not actually read this beyond skimming, but the writing seems technically sound enough, and since it's not a fucking female Cousland wank fic (of which AdB's Victory at Ostagar is the exemplar) that's sufficiently encouraging.

3. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I've taken a look at the author's other work in Dragon Age fandom, and it's mostly revolving around the same pairing, over and over and over: Alistair and fem!Cousland.

Rather dull, but in regards to this story I didn't find it too much of a nuisance.

It's not a bad fic and it certainly gives an interesting take on things if Alistair hadn't been sent to the Chantry to become a Templar, but it's not all that interesting either. I have yet to find something which would pull me to feel something of an eagerness, the want to rush to the next chapter to read more. Instead, I just read these 24 chapters because I had nothing better to do in the meantime.

Outside of Alistair's fate, the state of the world is more or less how things went in the game. Right now, it's just reached the point of Cailan dying at the battle of Ostagar and Alistair becoming king, because Anora didn't have a child by Cailan, just like in the game. Where it goes from here though? No idea.

One divergence is Arl Howe being stripped of title and lands because he deserted from the battle with his troops. With this happening, I imagine Loghain pulled out of battle as well, except he's now retelling his own version of the story, rather than the truth.

4. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

Why was Howe even at Ostagar?

5. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

He's not in charge of Denerim here, Teagan is the Arl of Denerim, with Delilah Howe as his wife.

6. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

It's been quite a while since the last post in this thread, but I've had a bit of a rekindling interest in Dragon Age stuff.

I'm looking mostly for Origins-related stuff, with some focus on Sten and the Qunari philosophy as he espoused it at the time to the Warden, but not solely contained to the events of Origins, i.e containing the Blight and the events of Awakening. What I'd actually like best of all is to see if someone actually wrote a good piece on that bit in the epilogue where Sten says he will return to Par Vollen and the Warden can come along.

If none of the above exists, I'd be content with just recommendations for good Dragon Age fics that haven't been mentioned before.

7. Jaska

Jaska Third Year

8. Jester

Jester Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I remember reading Warrior when it was still updating, and thinking it was a solid novelization.

I just reread it, and find it an enjoyable read through. Not groundbreaking, and stays mostly in line with canonish Human Noble Origins. The flashback storyline was decent flavor, but dragged a ton near the end.