1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Dream of Yesterday by Zolariel - M - Dragonball Z

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Shadowfox, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Shadowfox

Shadowfox Squib DLP Supporter

Title: Dream of Yesterday - DBZ
    Author: Zolariel
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Angst
    Library Category: Other Fandoms
    Pairings: None
    Summary: 100 Years after GT, Goku finds himself stuck in the past and working under the Frieza's merciless rule. Somehow, he must manage to make it back home amidst death, treachery and unexpected friendships.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7059221/1/Dream_of_Yesterday

So basically Goku goes back in time by accident with no way of returning. To prevent the timeline from diverging he decides not to kill Frieza and becomes a soldier to hide his identity as a saiyan. The story follows Goku as he struggles to find his place in this universe and his realization that sometimes you just can't save everyone. There are brief mentions of one-sided slash but they can be ignored as they don't affect the story in the slightest.

DBZ was what got me into fanfiction but the huge amount of romance and "highschool fics" made me convert to HP. But every now and then a gem like this one can be found in the huge pile of fail that is the DBZ archive. Give this story a chance. I'm sure you won't be dissapointed. :)

Rating - 4.5/5 rounded down to 4

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  2. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

The writing is not bad, and it makes a decent enough time waster for that. That's the best I can give this fic.

The time travel is just a plot device to get Goku into the past, in a very contrived fashion at that, and the whole thing doesn't get better after that. His arrival into the past, the first Saiyans he meets, his new name, joining with Freiza, everything is contrived.

He is somewhat in character, in the beginning, but after 15 chapters I haven't seen any character growth, despite a six month time skip. His reasons to not interfere in the past, and thereby his reasons to participate in large scale slaughter are totally stupid. Not to mention any sort of slaughter, especially innocents, is entirely out of character for Goku, no matter the circumstances.

Though I have to admit the first time Goku kills some people/aliens, the portrayal of the act itself was pretty nice and his reaction after realization hit was rather good. The circumstances that led to it however, were again very stupid.

The author it seems wants to go somewhere, but every time he (she?) takes a step forwards, they also take a stumble backwards. And at most it's filled with half-hearted angst.

TL;DR version: Decent time waster with an idea I've never seen done well, and clumsy in execution. No real character growth in 15 chapters and the the story just seems to be meandering on, without direction. Still, hopefully it'll get better over the next 11 chapters that are already up.

2.5/5 with chances of going up.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  3. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Agree with what DarIm said, but perhaps not as harsh. I read through the entire thing, and I would rate it 4/5. There is noticeable improve of the writing as chapters goes on as well. The current arc with the Kolds is amazing.

4. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Goku killing innocents? What? No. Just no. Throughout all of DragonBall and DBZ he killed... Piccolo and Buu. Right? So basically, he killed two beings who were the epitome of pure evil. Any other enemy he let live because he didn't like killing.

Story sounds interesting, but no.

5. Shadowfox

Shadowfox Squib DLP Supporter

While I do agree the whole time travel beginning was contrived, the main reason I liked this story was that author stays true to goku's character.

I would disagree on this. I feel its completely in character for Goku to think this way. Goku's never been the one to think these things through.

Hmm, yes the circumstances did seem a bit forced, but we've never seen what Goku would be like if he didn't eat for days.
    Well the genre is angst.

As tragicmat said, the story does get better and I do agree that I like the current arc better. I hope the next 11 chapters change your mind DarIm. Either way, this is a story some people will like, and others won't.

6. Duryodhana

Duryodhana Scrub

Dream of Yesterday by Somatrasiel - M - Dragon Ball Z

Title: Dream of Yesterday
    Author: Somatratasiel
    Rating: M
    Pairings: None
    Summary: 100 Years after GT, Goku finds himself stuck in the past and working under the Frieza's merciless rule. Somehow, he must manage to make it back home amidst death, treachery and unexpected friendships.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7059221/1/Dream-of-Yesterday

The summary really doesn't do this story justice, and it is by far the best fanfiction in this fandom that I've ever seen.
    I'd give it 4/5 because it has its own failings, and yet its fresh take on the Dragon Ball Z universe was what drew me into it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2015
  7. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Duryodhana, thanks for submitting a story that you enjoy to the Library, but you look like an idiot. This story has already been submitted. I found it in a few seconds using DLP's search engine.

Moved to the correct thread.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  8. Duryodhana

Duryodhana Scrub

I apologise, I foolishly beloved myself to be the only dedicated follower of the fanfic.
    I shall not make such a mistake again.