1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Dreaming of Sunshine by Silver Queen - T - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by Moridin, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I agree this is the jump start of a lot of SI fics, and there were several spin off fics set in the same universe as Dreaming of Sunshine. There were many things that made me want to give up on this story, namely, the fact that I feel like the trend of SIs to limit themselves too much. I know people will argue that she was more than capable, but I always get tired of the fact that SIs are like "I'll never be in the same league as Itachi, the best I can do is hit and run and hope I don't die." But then spend all this time exploring niche sections of canon.

I agree, they could have not included Naruto in this and everything would have been fine.

I woudl agree also that the build ups never really paid to read into them. Ultimately with this fic, I ended up growing super bored. I kept reading it because of the amount of material there, but I never looked forward to an update, it wasn't something I had to read.

Execution wise, I think the most compelling aspect of the story is the SI despite the limitations they imposed on themselves. Overall, I'd give this story a 3/5.

2. shatterpoint

shatterpoint Squib

Oh, I've been reading through this thread today and I got an account to chat about it, but no one's commented on the last two chapters. :(
    --- Post automerged ---
    Ew. Not a fan of the auto-emoji.

3. RottedKarma

RottedKarma First Year

High Score:
    Well I personally stopped at like 40 chapters and don't plan on reading the other 100+. The story lost me halfway and I'm not picking it back up again.

4. katreus

katreus First Year

I always thought it was a little ridiculous that a lot of kunoichi who had kids became housewives. Interesting idea in the update.

5. shatterpoint

shatterpoint Squib

It honestly makes a lot of sense? Gives the village more manpower and gives these mothers more stability in a time where, between the recent sound/sand invasion and the current war, housing prices and widowing rates are probably pretty high, so having their own source of income/housing would probably be a very attractive option. Plus it's a nice middle ground so that the mothers (And, occasionally, fathers, since we saw Ritsu's dads having this same worry) options aren't just, "Be a field ninja risking that you will orphan your child" or "Be a house wife and be completely dependent on a spouse for income."

6. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

I really should leave it in the backlog to read batches at a time. The pace seems like it would be great at reading later but if it takes a month or two between updates you lose all context.

7. shatterpoint

shatterpoint Squib

Clearly the solution is just to re-read with every new chapter. XD

8. chiefnewo

chiefnewo Second Year DLP Supporter

So how far into the Naruto-goes-with-Jiraiya period are we?

9. shatterpoint

shatterpoint Squib

10. TheLazyReader

TheLazyReader Groundskeeper

I used to like this (not a lot, but still...) but then it went into the land of eternal filler and I just couldn't care anymore.

11. shatterpoint

shatterpoint Squib

Well, if it helps A) all that "filler" isn't really filler in DoS, it has a point. And B) we've been out of the filler stuff for like. 2 years in real time by now. It's all original stuff now.

12. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

Yeah, the problem is definitely the pace. I've recently re-read, and it's still great when you binge - but in real-time the chapters are short enough and spaced out far apart enough that things noticeably drag even if I still look forward to updates.

13. Dresden11

Dresden11 Fifth Year

The 'filler' as you call it is the best content so far. Taking Naruto out of the story turned a decent SI fic into the greatest SI work (to me). I am actually worried for when he comes back, and SQ starts railroading her story into Kishimoto's work again. I am hoping this war will continue which will change how Akatsuki will react which will completely get rid of canon.

Shikako and Sasuke's relationship has been very well done so far in this story. I am not sure if they are the OTP of this story, but just as a friendship they have been great. They have grown so much together and without Naruto. I am actually hoping that his return causes friction just because of how weird it would be for them to add him back into their dynamic. I think SQ might have a slight problem slotting Naruto back in actually. It will have been 3 years in story (and who knows how many more irl) since Naruto was seen. That is a ton of character development for Shikako, Shikamaru, Sasuke, and even Kakashi without seeing any for Naruto. Heck, Shikako has become much, much better at killing and going for the kill if needed, and Naruto doesn't believe in killing. Its going to be interesting to see how everything shakes out. If Naruto has changed too much from the time skip, it won't fill earned compared to everyone else, but if he has changed too little then everyone else has blown by him in character development. It really is going to be interesting to see how SQ plays it.

14. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Unless Silver Queen's changed her original intention for the fix - exploring how the shinobi world works using an SI rather than changing what happens - I'm not sure of how much change they'll be up until late game even with Sasuke as a loyal ninja.

IIRC, Shikako's been confirmed as asexual by SQ so romance is a non-issue.

It depends. Naruto doesn't have a problem going for the kill against his enemies in canon and that's not really changed here. The only time he's shown having an issue was during the Lands of Birds Arc with the deliberate execution of an immobilized (and thus helpless) ninja, so it was more of the circumstances of the killing than the act itself.

15. throwaawy

throwaawy Fifth Year

Another update and given the the whole shift into bureaucratic procedural i'm beginning to wonder if silverqueen had picked up a 9-5 office job relatively recently (hence the break) and is now using it to vent (hence the sudden direction in plot).

On the other hand, updates seem to be coming faster and it is fairly intriguing how office-fu seems to be a new skillset Shikako is building up.

16. shatterpoint

shatterpoint Squib

This chapter is probably in my top 10 best chapters for sheer delightfulness. Shikako's avoiding her trauma so hard and it makes her snarky AF.

17. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

Dreaming of Sunshine has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 149
    Words: 709,125
    Updated: 2018-10-08 06:19:57 UTC
    Published: 2011-09-03 01:45:42 UTC
    Previously updated: about 2 months ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.

18. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Am really enjoying the police arc, it's rather satisfying and fun. Just wish the chapters were longer.

19. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

Dreaming of Sunshine has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 150
    Words: 711,970
    Updated: 2019-02-09 02:08:39 UTC
    Published: 2011-09-03 01:45:42 UTC
    Previously updated: 4 months ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.

20. Crash

Crash Fourth Year

And still, nothing continues to happen. Plot does not advance. Meh. Up until the part where it goes totally off the rails, Vapors by Electrase7en remains my favourite SI.