1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Dreaming of Sunshine by Silver Queen - T - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by Moridin, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

This is really damn good.

No, seriously, it sounds like it would suck but it's one of the best damn Naruto fics I've ever read. I just blew through 280k words of this and hardly stopped.

Yes, it's a self-insert. But for some reason it works. The main character is Shikamaru's twin sister. She's from our -world- and vaguely remembers having read Naruto at some point. So she has some foresight but she wasn't a big enough fan to have all the details sorted out, and she's not OP. She's good, no doubt, but she's not as smart as Shikamaru, doesn't have the chakra reserves of Naruto, and so on. She seems to trying to focus on actually being a Jack-of-most-Trades though, which works. She's decent at a lot of things and tries to branch out into stuff like sealing.

Follows the wider canon plots to some extent but they all feel at least partially new because they change with the inclusion of this new character.

Author is bloody great at description and... I don't know, a lot of little things? Good at not just describing how stuff looks but at describing feelings without stating them outright. A hell of a lot of authors have trouble with that.

It's not perfect, and there are one or two spots where I shook my head a bit at something the author chose to do or not do (bit too plot convenient here and there, like when she remembers some details but forgets other details that she'd be more likely to recall), but on the whole...

4.5/5. Rounding up. I'm surprised.

2. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

I just started this and in the wave arc, I'm at a loss.

Without judging the writing quality or the plot quality, I don't understand what's just happened. This character is aware of what happens on the wave arc. This character is aware that Haku/Zabuza have a profound effect on Naruto and that they die. This character is completely aware of Haku's presence during the fight (as she consciously faces away from Zaubuza to make sure Haku doesn't join the fray).

Then she just lets Haku take Zabuza away anyway? I'm just at a complete loss for how this makes sense. It isn't as if she grabs him and leaves--it happens just like it did in the manga. Senbon to the kneck, Kakashi checks his pulse, then Haku hoists Zabuza up and takes off. Why doesn't the OCSI say something to prevent this?

I mean, I could understand if it was even a "no clue who Gatou would send next, might as well let things play out as they did before" kind of rationalization that I could just take as a lazy author using a convenient rationalization to avoid writing something new...but there's nothing besides a quick sentence:

It's like the biggest copout...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  3. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

There is new story by this author, it's pretty decent one-shot(not sure what it's really is).
    Self insert OC as older sister of Obito, I liked this fragments where she sleeped with Orochimaru and have taken Obito's eyes

4. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    The new SI story Silver Queen put out is is really good. It portrays the SI being thrown into the Narutoverse, or any world, really, as dealing with a profound disconnect. Dreaming of Sunshine handles everything kind of light and happy. The SI knows she had been reborn in the Naruto world, and is able to relatively acclimate and achieve some positive change. She is on Team 7 and pulls her weight. Her influence keeps Sasuke in Konoha!

Reincarnation Roulette is the dark side of that formula. Coming from a world dominated by Western thought and moderate lip service to the sanctity of life, although people die all the time in the real world, to the Narutoverse, where killing is a fact of life, a job. It's a real, sincere disconnect.

Then taking into account that the SI is born into the Uchiha Clan, refusing the path of the ninja is not an option. And being a civilian is the Narutoverse sucks hard, as ninja can cut you or drown you or burn you or fry you or fool you with genjutsu.

What this first, excellent chapter taught me about the Naruto world is that you can only make your own way in that world by being as strong as possible, having enough skill to slap down anyone who wants a fight.

I really wish the Silver Queen gives us more chapters with this particular SI Uchiha, or people in that particular Narutoverse AU.

Full marks.

5. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

6. Cladius

Cladius Muggle

I just finished powering through this and was pleasently surprised that there are SI that don't suck. The last one i attempted to read was horribly embarrassing.
    Shikako is interesting and clever but she doesn't try to steal the canon characters spotlight. 4/5

7. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

I think it was good overall but some of the things did annoy me. The sealing doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I think it was said that they're powered by ambiant energy. She doesn't have that much chakra but she can't slap down an explosive seal so powerful it incenerates multiple people and isn't even winded? That's like the equivalent of an A rank jutsu. It's overpowered.

8. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I admit, I am getting a bit sick of all the misfortune that befalls Shikako. Getting passed over chunin and all, despite being largely responsible for all the successes that were failures or phyrric victories in the manga. Then she adds to Konoha with her creative mind with regards to techniques and seals and gets constantly crap for it.

I guess it is more realistic in that there should be some control over things as to prevent people from blowing up parts of Konoha with seals but I guess it would be appreciated if she weren't drowning in anxiety, stress and shit from people above and around her.

She should have been made chunin a long time ago and really needs some recognition and respect. I am sure she has the latter even though we don't see it as much as she is a bit of a flawed narrator and doesn't seem to notice all that often but it would be great if she got official recognition via rank or position or something and not just flak.

9. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Great story so far, and very well written. I'll admit I waited so long because of the SI category. Update rate seems pretty good as well. I hope she finishes the story and doesn't give up on it.

10. Nemrut

High Score:
    It still gets updates, so, don't think there is a danger of that, barring any surprises.

11. Crash

Crash Fourth Year

For those still following this, it's now at 88 chapters. While I really enjoyed some of the earlier arcs, I admit that the story seems to have lost focus. I've found myself disenchanted and rather bored with the past two arcs and the whole princess storyline. That said, in its earlier moments, Dreaming of Sunshine did shine for me. The quality of the writing hasn't really deteriorated, but it might be the slowing of character development and dearth of really interesting happenings that have taken away from the fic.

Hopefully, going forward the author can drudge up an arc or two of real interest. There doesn't appear to be any final end in sight, which, I imagine, is to the detriment of a tightly plotted focus. That said, the formula of using arcs has served this fic, by and large, well, up until most recently.

12. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

On the plus side, the latest chapter signaled the end of the author writing the pre-timeskip filler (hopefully). That's pretty much exactly what I've been waiting on for a while now.

13. Crash

Crash Fourth Year

Banta - I must have missed word on the timeskip. That definitely revitalizes my interest in the story. I will say that I hope the focus on Naruto is tied to filler material, as I find Dreaming of Sunshine much more boring when we're dealing with him.

It'll be neat to see where Silver Queen takes the thread on Shikako's use of the Shadow jutsu.

14. Ched

I never stopped enjoying this story. Maybe it's because I never watched the anime filler episodes, but the recent story lines (based on that filler) have felt original to me. So the combination of a story line I'm not familiar with and the addition of Shikako both making subtle changes and evolving her own styles... it's been enough to keep me plenty interested. Because while I know that those filler story lines didn't play out to mean anything in canon, they /might/ matter somehow here, especially where Shikako's evolution is concerned.

I'm guessing that her Shadow Jutsu will, at most, be a third of her arsenal though. I expect to see it combined in equal measure with (1) seals and (2) whatever is going on with that Gelel ability she acquired. Those three things together, plus her intellect and drive, might be enough for me to suspend my disbelief if she manages to keep up with Naruto and Sasuke post timeskip. And one thing the filler episode editions helped do was set up her own progression.

15. Nemrut

High Score:
    I am in the middle, on one hand, I didn't watch every filler arc, so some of the stuff was new to me, but it didn't change the fact that it felt like it was filler and that it seemed to drag on, with no real excitement. Coupled with the fact that the story and Konoha refuse to acknowledge Shikako's skill and deeds in some way or form, it makes things a bit unpleasant, where we don't really have anything good happening to the protag.

But yeah, if this means the fillers are over, I am hopeful that things will get back to their previous level of quality.

16. Nemrut

High Score:
    New chapter and we are in the next chuunin exams. Am actually looking forward to this, her worldbuilding and integrating existing concepts in Naruto into a fleshed out, functioning, organic world has always been excellent and I want to see that applied to Grass.

Tsunade's decision to forbid Sakura from teaching her techniques to Shikako was expected, but I fully anticipate that she will be able to work it out regardless. It's not like it is forbidden to reverse engineer these things. So yeah, hoping that she will be able to add that, even if it is to a lesser extent, to her arsenal.

17. fire

fire Order Member

Are you still following it, Nemrut?

About a year or so ago, I read DoS until wherever the author had stopped - I would prefer to wait for all the new chapters to come out before reading again. The experience just isn't the same, following it chapter by chapter.

18. Nemrut

High Score:
    Yeah, still reading it. As said before, for a while, the filler chapters were more meh, than anything, but now, with Naruto gone, things should go to original content and worldbuilding, so, looking forward to it.

19. Ched

Really enjoyed the latest chapter.

Filler content ended several chapters ago, with Naruto leaving on his trip with Jiraiya. In the meantime we have an original Chunin Exam arc going on. It's not the best Chunin Exams I've ever read, but the first event was one of the most interesting concepts I've run into in the fandom. Essentially the first part of the exam took place in the town around civilians, adding an extra element of 'make sure you don't hurt anyone if you're fighting' to things.

But the latest chapter was Shikako vs Gaara, tournament style. And since it was a tournament and Shikako knew it was coming, she prepared like crazy for it via seals. Was a fun read.

20. Vesvius

Vesvius High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Updated. Some interesting things this chapter. A bit more of the Shikamaru plot line, and a nice development for Shikako's chakra sense.