1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dresden/Multiverse Crossover

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Deadsomeone, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Deadsomeone

Deadsomeone Third Year

Hey guys, I just read Water Mage's Theories About Nuclear Winter and it got me thinking. Now, in Water Mage's story the Potter universe is connected to the Dresdenverse via the Outsider's dimension and the Gatekeeper already told us he had suspicions about the Outsider's trying to get to other Worlds and Universes. So if we work on that assumption, that means that every possible Universe, fictional or otherwise, can be connected to the Dresdenverse, and every other one, and by extension the War against the Outsiders must be at each one of those door steps.

So that means that each universe has it's own version of the Gatekeeper and it's own version of Merlin. As such, since it was Merlin who made the super prison of Demonreach we can work on the idea that in each of the connected Universes there is some version of Demonreach somewhere.

In Cold Days we learned that Demonreach functions so well as a prison not because of Merlin using overwhelming, ancient, super magic, but because he piled and layered on the magic, bit by bit, until it all wove together until each piece of magic was part of a stronger whole. Just like steel cables being coiled together to make an exponentially stronger cable.

Now that idea by itself is pretty cool, but lets take it to the multiverse level.

Imagine that each universe's Demonreach is a single steel cable, and that each Demonreach works with every other one to make an enormous, multiverse spanning chain. A chain that was built to cage a being that can destroy entire Universes and eat them, something capable of standing toe to toe with the White God and his entire army. Something like Azathoth: The Mad God, Yog-Sothoth, or Nyarlathotep: The Crawling Chaos.

Personally I'd love to see someone do something with this idea, but I'l leave that to better writer's than myself.

Tell what you think.

2. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

I think that if someone really ran with this idea, Roland Deschain would have had it easy compared to Harry Dresden.

On the other hand, what's to keep Harry and Roland from meeting? Or from meeting other fictional heroes, if indeed all worlds do exist in some way? Super-mega-ultra-crossover! Bob told Harry in Ghost Story that all worlds are real, so somewhere out there in the multiverse, Spider-Man is real. Every hero we can think of could be forced to team up to save every version of reality... Hell, if Joe is willing, perhaps Declan could help out, too...

Hmm. Possibilities...

3. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Clearly all the male veelas, except Draco, are holding the outsiders at bay in the HP-verse.

4. Deadsomeone

Deadsomeone Third Year

Well it wouldn't just be the heroes. It'd be everyone, since I doubt beings like Thanos, Darkseid, and Ferrovax would be okay with living and dying at the whim of an insane Daemon-God.

5. Water Mage

Water Mage Denarii Host

I forever love Bob for saying that pretty much every fictional world exists somewhere in the Nevernever. It's like HP's version of the Veil in the DOM. You can do a lot with it. Doing something epic like a multcrossover would be Joe's area. He's the reigning champ of go big or go home.

Another random idea I had when I was writing was about A Song of Ice and Fire. If we take the idea about Outsiders burrowing into other worlds what if the Long Night was Mab's forces fighting the Outsiders in Westeros. Winter (Court) is coming means exactly that.

I tried to write a Dresden Files/ASoIaF crossover a long time ago, but I attempted multiple POVs like Martin and it fell apart. It was too much to keep straight.

6. Deadsomeone

Deadsomeone Third Year

Well, I think the biggest issue that would crop in a Dresden/ASoIaF crossover would be trying to balance the massive amount of power Dresdenverse magic brings to the table, in comparison to what little ASoIaF magic we've seen. By all intents and purposes just dropping in someone like Molly would change a lot, but throwing in the whole Winter Court, Outsider's, and probably Dresden and his posse would be like taking the playing field and throwing it off a cliff.

This could also apply to any universe brought into a Mass Crossover.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012