1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dresden's Dilemma Take Two.

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Riley, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Goddamnit, I wanted to post my thoughts first, Riley >.<

Well, you can read them now in my qt for yourselves. So who was tainted on Night 2? That's the last piece I'm missing.

Also, Moridin. As far as lynching goes: I was honest-to-god certain that Rubicon was the RK (and you Town), which was why I was trying to help him. So the lynch would have probably gone your way.

2. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

From my point of view, RC seemed OP. Or maybe Zennith fucked up bad for town with his Dresden reveal.

Fix the mechanics or at least explain them better. I expected that any thralls that would die would no longer give protection to the WK. Which is why in case Moridin was WK I expected one of Rubicon or Sesc to die if he did not.

Also, I might have fucked up with that reveal at the end. Seemed like a good idea at that time.

Well played, everyone.

3. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Thanks, Fontisian, Riley and Sesc. Good game all, sorry it devolved into something else in the end.

Also, one thing. If Marcone + 2 reds survive, Marcone wins? I thought the Reds need to kill/turn everyone to win, and as such that situation implies an autokill for Marcone.

I've been operating for some time now under the assumption that Marcone only benefits from siding with the White Court. This... actually works better, yeah.

I'd play it again, but with a few tweaks to the rules to keep it interesting. Honestly, I'd say that the Red Court is a touch overpowered, but most of my complaints (which, admittedly, stem from a WC perspective) are nullified by thralls persisting after death, which is something I didn't know would happen.

As far as flavour is concerned, I'd only say that it should reveal nothing at all. One night visit or a dozen should show up as the same. Ditto for anything happening at night revealed in the thread at large. That may just be my opinion, but I think it adds a little mystery to the game, especially given there are very few possible visits and actions.

Yeah, Castiel, I too expected Sesc to take the hit for me, to be honest. That one could have done with a bit of elaboration.

Edit: Game's over, I guess we can edit now. <_<

4. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

Yes, about flavor, just mention whether a person was visited or not. If you keep distinctive flavor people will just figure out what everything means after one game. So you may as well be up front with them instead of alluding to what has happened.

5. Sesc

Yeah, the mechanics were a bit unclear. Maybe it's because I played the win con "survive" for the first time so that I didn't know how that was meant, but it took me fucking ages to realises that it couldn't possibly mean "be the last man standing".

And as far as my power goes, some clarification on what it can and can't do wouldn't be too bad either. I'm still not entirely sure how it was ever supposed to kill one of the Kings, considering I go last, and they will always have a counter by then.

Edit: Moridin, yes, that was my mistake exactly. It doesn't mean that. If I survived until that point, I've already won. You don't play that last night, because at that point the win for the RC is clear. The two wins are completely unrelated.

6. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

So LochNess was visited in the night.

7. Sesc

Lol, Moridin. You figured I was Marcone because I constantly asked about the taints? I can tell you that I would have done the exact same thing if I hadn't been him. I just like to keep track of things like that in my qt, because the more information I get together, the more I can figure out.

So you were right, but that wasn't a tell. I wondered if people would pick up on stuff because I tried to deflect attention from the RC -- which I did because I didn't want them after me. But since you apparently thought I'd help out White, we were each playing completely different games.

This is also a consequence of the unclear winning cons btw. It's always bad when that happens, even if you're not directly affected, because it results in having wrong assumptions about how roles should behave, and thus to wrong reads and tells.

8. Moridin

Actually, I figured you were Marcone because it didn't make sense for Rubicon to be Marcone. If Rubicon was Marcone, all he had to do was not cleanse, and let the WC exist for one more night, and he would have won (alongside me). You, on the other hand, were already tainted, and since you didn't know about LochNess, were afayk first on the list if I was targeted. As such, it made sense for you to want to remove that noose. Post 63 in my QT.

Granted, a lot of the assumptions I made about Marcone's game outside of that one point stemmed from my idea that he couldn't possibly win with the Reds, and so it made no sense for him to aim at me.

9. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

Make it so that, Thrall dies: Protection dies. How can a dead thrall take a hit?

And try to liven up your day-end/day-start posts. I am partial to Eido's stuff.

Dat Timer.

EDIT: It might also help if the King and Queen can not confirm each other's identities via game mechanics.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  10. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Actually it should be impossible for RC to win if Dresden isn't stupid. Dresden claims himself D1, or anytime really, and protects himself. Suddenly immortal town player, RC already lose the game.

I genuinely think that Town are the strongest faction, we just horribly misplayed the game. The Molly reveal was a bad idea for two reasons. One it's not actually that strong a role, all it is really capable of doing is townfirming a person, but we used it to hunt scum instead, leading to shenanigans such as lynching Zennith, which resulted in the Dresden claim clusterfuck, and suddenly all our power roles are dead for zero gain. Secondly, it neuters the Dresden role which if played right should be horribly overpowered.

Different rules. Multiple scum factions is a bad idea as they have to kill each other off in order to win, so town should be able to win by just letting them fight amongst themselves and cleaning up after. Also it leads to shit like what Castiel tried to pull which is just hella gay. One scum faction can just fuck over the other ensuring they both lose.

The Marcone role is both very weak and very strong, depending too heavily on random chance. I'd rework that role in some way to remove the pure luck element from it. Also the role lends itself to lurking and just boring gameplay in general as all they really have to do is sit and watch everyone else fight each other.

Dresden shouldn't be able to protect himself because that's way too easy to abuse and it should shut down the RC.

I think that a lot of the inactivity was down to the most experienced or vocal town players mostly dying early. The need for replacements and whatnot didn't really help either.

In general then rules weren't very clear, or easy to understand There was too much information that wasn't included in the stat of game post, like the order of night actions.

There was some other stuff that I wanted to rant about but I've forgotten it now.

Anyway, thanks for running the game.

11. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I fuckin' told you guys I was vanilla day 1.

12. LochNess

LochNess Third Year DLP Supporter

13. Sesc

Oy, did I play Marcone or did you? :p

I liked it. Doing hunting in secret while watching others fight each other is exactly my thing. But more generally, the above is something you always have with a survivor type of role, that's nothing specific to this game.

@Moridin: Yeah, but don't forget that we (or at least I) thought that White was actually dead, after Cheddar died. If no one knows you're around, no one will try to align themselves with you. I only cleansed myself because I felt like it, not because I actually feared getting hit by proxy, at that point.

14. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I just read Sesc's QT. :awesome

post 4 in your QT: "I deeply apologize for this but I completely forgot to let you know that there was a strange visit in the night but you can't remember the face of your visitor. Again, sorry. I'm kinda run ragged right now with IRL stuff too."

15. Moridin

Yes, it is. Post 4 in your QT, it was posted late.

And Sesc, the idea of Marcone cleansing himself for the sake of not being obliged to a dead faction didn't really occur to me. I mean, it makes sense given that if the WC is dead your power is useless (something else to work on), so you might as well give it a shot.

I didn't know Marcone was still alive until after the cleansing, anyway. Before that point, I had just dismissed the idea of LochNess being Marcone in favour of simple inactivity. As such, reaching out to an ally whose potential worth was not all that much at the time and who could be dead wasn't worth the exposure.

16. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, I fucked up bad. I hoped that by roleclaiming and then living through the night I could continue to stay alive, but whatev. I fucked up baddddd.

17. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

First of all, well, I had fun. I pretended to be Hendricks in my/Nobelfiction's QT and it made me happy. Thanks Riley & everyone else who played.

I would play Dresden Mafia again, because I really like Dresden stuff and I enjoyed the game.

Now, this part probably won't be helpful, but it's just my two cents. I don't play a ton of Mafia games. I think this was maybe my, hm, fourth or fifth one? At least third on DLP, plus one elsewhere.

So far the most fun I've had was the first one, the Femme!mafia one or whatever it was, because everyone had a role. Flavor is great, players are great, people who run the games are great, games based on things I enjoy (Dresden Files FTW) are great... but there's just something that appeals to me about no one being "just town."

I expect something like that is ridiculously hard to organize though. Still.

Also, Sesc! You were Marcone, and I just re-read Even Hand the other day, so you = auto awesome for however long it takes me to read something else and change my mind. <3