1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dual Booting - Removing partition

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Randeemy, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

I recently upgraded to Vista, or rather installed it on a small partition on my hard drive to see how it ran. It works fine and I want to rid myself of XP and free up the 80% of my hard drive that Vista cant use. Im having difficulty resizing the partition and I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to delete the partition and clear the XP partition. Partition magic doesnt work with Vista and the disk managment application that comes with Vista isnt very helpful

Cheers

2. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

you could try PerfectDisk... I think that might work. o.o

3. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

I will give that a go when I fix my latest quandary. After messing about with Vistas useless partition software I now seem to be suffering a ntldr missing error.

4. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Okay, you need to go to 'System Management' under the control panel. Then go to Administrative Tools and viola! You should be able to change your partitions from there. That would be the only way you can do it without having to buy any software.

5. Jangel

Jangel Earl of Someshit

Once you fixed the boot loader problem, download the GParted livecd for partitioning. It works well.

6. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Download the Gparted live CD and delete the XP partition.

http://gparted-livecd.tuxfamily.org/

Once you're done, throw in the Vista install cd and do a repair function. There's an option to fix the bootloader.

7. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

You could've just formatted the XP partition and then resized the Vista Partition. Unless you needed the space to back up your data during the change over process.

Try and borrow a different HDD from a friend or buy one, back up all the stuff you want to keep, format the XP partition then transfer your data back to the hard drive, doesn't hurt to have the OS on a different Partition, unless you NEED more space for it for programs etc etc.

8. skooly

skooly First Year

I just use two separate hard drives one for xp and one of vista and I am thinking about put linux on another.

9. pieman3141

pieman3141 First Year

Don't use PartitionMagic or any of its ilk. I've known too many people have nervous breakdowns after finding out PM destroyed all of their partitions. If you want, only use the system management that comes with Windows (or Disk Utility if it's OS X).

10. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

Seems like you know a few computer-illiterate people then. The disk management utilities that come with windows cannot do advanced tasks such as resizing a partition or even creating a partition unless it is during windows setup.