1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

Eclipse 2017: The End of the World

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Zombie, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Live Coverage Here.
    If the NASA stream isn't working for you, then you can use this, a Youtube Stream, because I'm pretty sure that the NASA stream keeps dropping.

And I'm already fucking tired of it.

Here are some facts about an eclipse.

If you're in a zone of totality, PYP of the Eclipse, share your experience.

Paradise> they are acting like its the last time it will ever happen too
    13:16 <Paradise> like jfc

Agreed.

2. Rehio

Rehio The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I am so uninterested in this, but I'm hearing so much excitement about it.

3. Zombie

High Score:
    Thanks for sharing!~

4. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Order Member DLP Supporter

I watched NASA TV, which apparently is recorded on a toaster. I was a bit underwhelmed by it all after the short spike of hype that seems to have engulfed everyone. The wait was better than the result, and you could see it on the faces of every awkward presenter cutting between whatever yokel astronomer they could find and the sun being almost but not quite covered for hours.

5. Rehio

You are quite welcome.

6. Zombie

High Score:
    Yeah, it was awkward to watch on the news. It was alright. Kids got to see one, so it was a novel experience for them. They'll get to be alive for another one the next time it happens.

7. Rehio

Saw a bit of it on television, and there was some damn impressive imagery on there. I've come across a few people who actually have eye aches after going to viewing parties for it, even with proper eye glasses. Hope no one got any permanent damage or anything.

Some folks have been waiting years for this, which is neat. Hope they had a good time.

8. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I watched it on tv. Meh. Should be much closer to the path of the 2024 one. Maybe i'll care about seeing it irl then.

9. Rubicon

Rubicon Professor DLP Supporter

We had 99% totality here. Overall, pretty cool. I made some pinhole cameras out of old Amazon boxes to watch it without the risk of eye damage.

The birds went crazy afterwards. My neighbors' roosters started crowing like it was sunrise again.

10. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    77% totality here. Work obligations prevented my leaving with the family to chase shadows.

TOME was viewing the crescent sun through a pair of goggles used 70 years ago to view hydrogen bomb explosions in the Pacific. The father of a woman I work with had participated in the nuclear tests; she brought them in to watch the eclipse.

A cool bit of history.

11. Wizard Giller

Wizard Giller Slug Club Member

I went to a 100% totality zone and the eclipse itself was pretty cool when the sun was completely covered. Looking at the eclipse with eclipse glasses when it isn't 100% covered is kind of cool, the daylight gets dimmer and the temperature drops... but when the sun is completely covered by the moon and you cannot see it in your eclipse glasses at all it's pretty neat. You can see the stars in my case at 10:24 in the morning and the moon/sun is just a shadow ringed with soft light - it doesn't hurt your eyes at all if you look at it if no part of the sun is visible. The only thing that sucked about the whole experience is the traffic afterwards was a complete disaster.

12. Anarchy

Anarchy Prisoner DLP Supporter

I was whelmed

13. Zombie

High Score:
    Yeah average wait time is 45 min to an hour right now. Everywhere.

14. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy Alchemist

We drove about 3 hours to Alliance, Nebraska and made it about five minutes before first contact. Then, another hour, noticeably colder and with the wind having gone from strong to nothing, the first of Baily's beads showed up and them it was 2 minutes, 29 seconds of perfection, then the last of Baily's beads, then the light coming back. The difference between what we would have seen having stayed in Denver, about 92%, and what we saw was so stark it might as well have been a different phenomenon altogether. I'm glad we could do it, us and the other ten's of thousands of people who lined the highway on both sides to see. We even passed a prison and could see the yard nearly full.

I very nearly cried. Shit pictures though. I'll never forget this. Also cool, the low rumble of ooooohs from thousands right when totality starts.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  15. EsperJones

EsperJones Order Member

I went to the totality in Salem -- it was really worth seeing the 100%. Until about 97% there was no visible darkening but seeing the entire sun overcast and stars alongside the Sun's corona was amazing. Photos just don't do it justice. Someone blasted the Final Countdown with a few seconds to go - it was a great experience.

My normally 3 hour drive back took 8 hours due to idiots on I-5. Still worth it.